Awkward Conversation

Can anybody help me with how to end an uncomfortable conversation with a seller?

I bought something from her and when I messaged her to see when she was planning to ship she replied and also expressed a whole bunch of troubling circumstances in her life which, I understood.I actually messaged her back without advice since I recently dealt with a very similar situation with a family member so I know how stressful it is.

It turned into a back and forth to which I kept responding since I felt bad blowing them off and I also really want the item, which they said they will try to ship this week. Yes I know that is a while to wait but it's fine.

I kept hoping the chat would taper off but it didn't. I get the impression she's quite a bit older than me too.Which is fine but we don't have anything else in common and I'd like to just resume being a buyer and she can be a seller. Meaning no further un necessary conversations.

She said she had to go do some baking and I said great I wish you well. But that wasn't good enough and now she is pestering me to add her on Facebook, Instagram etc. She's kind but I'm just not interested! I just wanted to pass on a little bit of kindness but it looks like it backfired on me.

How can I get her to let me go with out hurting her feelings? I need to be able to still contact her though incase she forgets to ship my parcel🥴
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Awkward Conversation

A/ Has the Seller shipped the item yet?

Yes / No

Yes - Do not contact, wait for the purchases to arrive (keeping track of the estimated delivery window).

No - Send a short message simply asking about the shipping information for your purchases, do not include any personal back and forth, keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

Do not inquire about anything or initiate anything other than asking for the shipping information.

When they reply, they will (probably with a long story) and if the shipping information is not provided, do not reply, wait until you can officially open an item not received request you are covered and will be fully refunded. You came on here to shop not to be bombarded with someone else's personal life, it has no place in a business transaction.

If needed you can get all the information below:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/get-help-item-hasnt-arrive...

4 min article

Get help with an item that hasn't arrived

Report that your item hasn't arrived

You have up to 30 calendar days after the estimated delivery date has passed to report that an item hasn't arrived.

The seller should respond within 3 business days to provide a delivery update, offer a replacement, or give you a refund. If you're getting a refund, it will go back to your original payment method. Refunds are typically available within 3-5 business days.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Awkward Conversation

Ghost her.

Just stop replying.

Your purchase is secured by the Money Back Guarantee (as well as Paypal if you use it and by your credit card).

But as you say, she has overstepped.  Friendly is part of professional, but you are not looking for a personal relationship.

Just as you would with a belligerent person, just drop the relationship.

Best wishes.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Awkward Conversation

A/ Has the Seller shipped the item yet?

Yes / No

Yes - Do not contact, wait for the purchases to arrive (keeping track of the estimated delivery window).

No - Send a short message simply asking about the shipping information for your purchases, do not include any personal back and forth, keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

Do not inquire about anything or initiate anything other than asking for the shipping information.

When they reply, they will (probably with a long story) and if the shipping information is not provided, do not reply, wait until you can officially open an item not received request you are covered and will be fully refunded. You came on here to shop not to be bombarded with someone else's personal life, it has no place in a business transaction.

If needed you can get all the information below:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/get-help-item-hasnt-arrive...

4 min article

Get help with an item that hasn't arrived

Report that your item hasn't arrived

You have up to 30 calendar days after the estimated delivery date has passed to report that an item hasn't arrived.

The seller should respond within 3 business days to provide a delivery update, offer a replacement, or give you a refund. If you're getting a refund, it will go back to your original payment method. Refunds are typically available within 3-5 business days.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Awkward Conversation

While it was nice of you to try to help her, the best thing you can do now is to just stop replying to her messages to you. Just ignore them, she should eventually stop sending them if you don't reply.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply