Best Offer Purchases

Many E-bay sellers offers "Best Offer Purchases".

I think this is better than auction sometimes since you don't have to compete with other buyers.

How does one know what  the best offer to give so there is chance of seller accepting the offer ?

How much lower can I offer from the original price listing ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Best Offer Purchases

I have bought a few items when my best offer was accepted but in general I find a lot of sellers use the" best offer" to simply generate some traffic and or interest.

In my experience ,the best offer that will likely get accepted is usually a few cent less than the listed price(especially for items from China/HK.etc.),sometimes an offer of $45 will get accepted for a $50 item .

Rarely an offer of $20 less than asking  gets accepted but it does happen depending on how desperately the seller wants to sell.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

Or depending on how much they raised the price when they added on best offer.

zhongjai - There really isn't a definitive answer your question as it depends on a number of factors but the offer should be reasonable....don't offer $20 for an item priced at $200.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

"in general I find a lot of sellers use the" best offer" to simply generate some traffic and or interest."

I've experienced this and it is quite frustrating.

Seller has BIN $50 or Best Offer so I offer $40. Seller counters with $49.

I counter with $45 and seller then offers $48.50.

Don't understand why they bothered with Best Offer...

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

Or depending on how much they raised the price when they added on best offer.

Exactly.

Unless the naive/newbie seller is unaware of the actual value of the item, and is hoping for a fair offer, Best Offer is sort of a reverse auction. Bidders make lower offers until one is accepted.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

mcrlmn
Community Member
All I ask for is a reasonable and fair offer.
If so, I generally accept.
75% of the offers I get are ridiculous; from those looking for a handout.

I may add 'Best Offer' to slow moving higher priced items; to encourage interest.
Some items I price to clear and still ask for offers just to get rid of them.

I had four lots of four $1 CDN dollar coins aged 30-35 years. I listed at what I felt was a low collector price, and added an 'Offer' option; hoping for about 50 cents more on each dollar.
I assumed any purchase at this quantity and price would be for resale.
I got numerous offers between 85-108 cents per dollar. Maybe they thought me dense.
I might as well have spent them. Worth at least dollar each, 15 cents less or 8 cents more per coin wasn't worth the time to read the offer.
I did finally get that 'reasonable' offer of $1.49 per dollar coin and sold them all.
That's all I wanted, we're both happy, and the buyer will probably resell at $5.00+ a coin in his store.

Offer what you are willing to pay.
If you get an unreasonable counteroffer, walking away and don't look back. You didn't need it that badly.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

@zhongjai wrote:

Many E-bay sellers offers "Best Offer Purchases".

I think this is better than auction sometimes since you don't have to compete with other buyers.

How does one know what  the best offer to give so there is chance of seller accepting the offer ?

How much lower can I offer from the original price listing ?

Thanks

Sadly, a lot of very nice buyers, who would turn out to be excellent current and future customers, are paying the price for the fact that there are far too many what I like to call "arm-chair" dealers on Ebay.

I spend a huge amount of time, more than any other portion of my small business takes, sourcing, acquiring etc interesting items to sell. I list them for sale, always after doing research if I am not entirely familiar with the item, to make sure that my asking price is reasonable. I used to add "Best Offer" to all of my listings as being a reasonable sort I have always felt that I never wanted to lose a sale over a couple of pennies. Unfortunately, far too often I would get horrendous "Low-ball" offers from these "arm-chair" dealers who are too lazy to go out and source their own products and prefer to troll Ebay bothering hard working dealers with ridiculous offers so that they can take the items and re-sell them without putting any work into it at all.

The end result is that I very rarely use "Best Offer" any more and I am sure that i am missing the odd sale because of it but quite honestly, as much as it pains me to miss even 1 sale, the frustration from having to deal with the low-ball offers, and the motivation behind them,  is just too enfuriating.

Here is what I would suggest if you are looking at an item that has the "Best Offer" feature enabled or even if it doesn't and you are just a little out of your budget at the asking price.. For the items that don't have "Best Offer" enabled see below for mention of a new feature that sellers have access to that allows them to send offers through messages.

1) Always accompany your offer with a polite message to the seller outside of the offer process. Explain that you like the item and are really interested in it and are not a re-seller looking to cash in on his hard work.

2) When you see sales in stores they generally offer 10, 15, 25 % off and rarely (legitimately anyway) anything more than that. Depending on the value of the item you need to decide what is a fair discount to seek, If the item is $25 asking for a $25% discount is probably just going to anger the seller but if the item is $100 then 25% could very likely be a viable option.

Ask yourself what you would do in the seller's shoes.

3) If the seller does not accept your first offer maintain the dialog outside of the offer process and see if you can discuss where both of you can walk away happy..

There is a new feature that allows sellers to send offers from the "Messages" portion of your account so it's quite easy now for a seller to offer you a price once you have discussed it and everyone is happy. Most sellers I have talked to, and myself included, love this feature so please do take advantage of it by opening that dialog with the seller.

To sum up just remember that in most cases, large corporate accounts and gigantic faceless chinese resellers aside, you are dealing with a human being on the other end of your negotiation and as such treat them with the respect that you would want to be treated with yourself. Keeping that in mind, along with my other suggestions, I think you can probably walk away happy from just about any buying situation as well as having a happy seller who will be looking forward to dealing with you again.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

thD

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

yes..ive come across this several times of late and im frustrated...i offer and then the conteroffer by 3.00...I tell them to **bleep** off with their item..Rarely have i gotten a best offer and Im being resonable..i dont lowball...
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

zombie thread from 2015

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer Purchases

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply