seller falsifying international shipping documents

brogreg62
Community Member

received an e-mail from a seller saying they were falsifying the international shipping documents sending the item as a gift and putting a lower value on the documents than what i paid and if my government caught it at the border it was my problem and not his
first off this is a federal offense in either Country Canada or the USA and i am refusing to receive anything
that was sent this way
i have requested my money back and the seller has refused unless i accept the item and ship it back
if i recieve the item knowing that the documents are false i will be  committing a federal offense 

i will be contacting

USPS, Canada post the FBI and R.C.M.P as well as the Canadian border services agency and the US customs and border protection

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Did you also contact US navy?

Message 2 of 87
latest reply

Canada has a Navy also

🙂

Message 3 of 87
latest reply

I'm sure they will all put it on their high priority list.

Message 4 of 87
latest reply

I think what the above responce's mean is that your moral stance is just digging you a hole.

Sometimes, if someone tries to do you a sideways favour - you will just have to roll over and play dead.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 5 of 87
latest reply

Usually it is the buyer that asks for a falsified document???

Definitely a totally different view of things.....

If buyer puts a lower value on a document... and the parcel is lost... the insurance claim would be for this lower value.....

Message 6 of 87
latest reply

If the buyer puts ...

should read

If the seller puts

Message 7 of 87
latest reply

I'm not sure what your problem is exactly. You did not ask the seller to do this, so if there is a problem, he will be the loser, not you. I think you are over reacting just a little bit . Regardless, along with everyone else here, I think your name belongs on a certain list.

Message 8 of 87
latest reply

By the way, I hope that you did not leave the Queen out of the loop on this one. She will never forgive you.

Message 9 of 87
latest reply

brogreg62
Community Member

yes

Message 10 of 87
latest reply

brogreg62
Community Member

what list would that be ?

Message 11 of 87
latest reply

brogreg62:  Are you saying:

A) That you wanted to pay duty and taxes on the item you bought and are angry because you didn't have to?

OR........

B) Are you saying that you had a fight with the seller and that you are trying to use the false declaration as leverage to get the seller to do things your way?

The reason for the question is because I don't think anyone ever complains because they didn't have to pay taxes for an item.

Message 12 of 87
latest reply

A little confused about this post also, but i am generally confused at the best of times.

Message 13 of 87
latest reply

"so if there is a problem, he will be the loser, not you."

Not really.

Canadian laws are clear on the subject.  The importer (buyer) is legally responsible.

The problem could be as follows:

A Customs inspector spots a false declaration (undervalued or wrongly declared as "gift").  The parcel is reassessed for duty (if applicable) and taxes.

However, the kicker is that the importer's (buyer) name is now black listed.  Future imports may be looked upon individually creating delays.  And the same is true with the shipper. Parcels originating from the same name/address may be subect to more inspection than usual. 

It is not only a question of saving a few dollars in taxes and brokerage fee.  Well meaning (?) sellers trying to help buyers save a few dollars may ruin their reputation. Not worth it.

Message 14 of 87
latest reply

" I don't think anyone ever complains because they didn't have to pay taxes for an item."

If folks understood the possible ramifications, they should.

Message 15 of 87
latest reply

" I don't think anyone ever complains because they didn't have to pay taxes for an item."

If folks understood the possible ramifications, they should.

Perhaps so; Perhaps not. 

It sounds like you may the one person here who complains when an item slips by them by accident........ :). 

I may have read your posts incorrectly, but it sounds like you carefully calculate what you owe and then send the gov't a check for the amount owing along with an explanation. 🙂

Kudos to You!!!!

In any event, it is not the issue here.

From the original post: """"i have requested my money back and the seller has refused unless i accept the item and ship it back 
if i recieve the item knowing that the documents are false i will be  committing a federal offense """""

To me that sounds like brogreg62 is asking for a refund and wants to keep the item......

I could be wrong and brogreg62 may simply of like mine with P*********** and is upset because he didn't pay the appropriate taxes.

bridreg62????

Message 16 of 87
latest reply

"you carefully calculate what you owe and then send the gov't a check for the amount owing along with an explanation"

Since I have run a business and have been registered with GST/HST since the beginning in 1991, it is largely irrelevant to me and other GST/HST registered sellers. 

As registered merchants, we get 100% refund (Input Tax Credit) of the GST/HST paid at time of importation.

Message 17 of 87
latest reply

Again.......... this has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Neither does it respond to the ?.

You should not be claiming a refund for GST/HST for personal items.   That is just wrong.

To the best of my knowledge that applies only to items bought for resale............

You like the KISS approach............ so consider that we are only discussing personal items here.

Message 18 of 87
latest reply

I was answering your question/comment, nothing else.

Message 19 of 87
latest reply

3 post of mine were reported and I really didn't do anything what is someones problem here ..

Anyways I think your overeacting my friend they were probably trying to be nice ... Ask them why they did or did you ask them too...

Message 20 of 87
latest reply