CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

moogie1*
Community Member
From ebay's own help files found on this page
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sellerguide/shipping/importing.html#payment

Pay Applicable Customs Duties and Taxes
You must pay for applicable duties and/or taxes before the goods can be released to you

• You pay duties based on the value of the goods in Canadian funds (duty rates vary according to the type of goods you are importing and the country they came from or were made in)

• You pay Goods and Services Tax (GST) on most goods you import into Canada. GST is 6%, calculated on the item's total value (in C$) plus any duties that apply

• You pay Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on all goods that are taxable under the province's tax base if you live in BC, Ontario, Manitoba, PEI, Saskatchewan or Quebec. PST is charged according to the provincial tax rate that applies

• You pay Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) instead of GST if you live in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland or Labrador. HST is 14%, calculated on the item's total value (in C$) plus any duties that apply

Message 21 of 628
latest reply

dexmor
Community Member
To moogie1*...

"You pay Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on all goods that are taxable under the province's tax base if you live in BC, Ontario, Manitoba, PEI, Saskatchewan or Quebec. PST is charged according to the provincial tax rate that applies"

1. Any goods purchased for resale can be imported exempt from PST.

2. Any eBay member who sells anything on eBay for a profit should import all their items under that exemption, and then in turn pay the PST collected from customers, as well as the PST on any of the items imported which were used for personal consumption.

Message 22 of 628
latest reply

acervartan
Community Member
A good point has been made, albiet in a fairly snotty tone, to bad that tone will put people off reading further than the first post. UPS are the main problem. They always seem to be 3 to 4 times the cost compared to aother services, so avoiding them is the best and easiest step. That said, some of these stories are a bit exaggerated, I have had a number of items from the US and very rarely get charged anything significant if at all. But yes UPS are a total rip.
Message 23 of 628
latest reply

Well, the first post IS the one that lays things out clearly for new buyers on eBay to read and grasp the generalities of it anyway...

And if a company is importing, then they can apply for a tax reduction of the amount they are charged on incoming goods (having had this happen to me, I DO know what I'm talking about, thanks anyway for trying to tell me otherwise)

UPS is a business - they do not charge more/less than other courier companies.
Photobucket

Message 24 of 628
latest reply

dexmor
Community Member
"tax reduction"

It is called 'tax exemption' NOT "tax reduction".

"UPS is a business - they do not charge more/less than other courier companies."

Wrong! UPS is more expensive than FedEx for most services:

http://www.fedex.com/us/customersupport/shipsmart/0805n_greatrates.html

Message 25 of 628
latest reply

there ya go... i revise my previous findings... dex is an accountant..
Photobucket

Message 26 of 628
latest reply

People who claim that UPS charge less than other couriers are plain wrong! UPS IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN it's that simple. Why do you think they all wear brown?
Message 27 of 628
latest reply

its a uniform

its a company

lets not malign the people who work for them and do a good job

if ford charges more for their trucks than GM do you call them stupid names????
Photobucket

Message 28 of 628
latest reply

UPS IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN

LOL

Mewly Christmas and Barky New Year!

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 29 of 628
latest reply

d2r2wlbc
Community Member
On 2 occasions I have had parts for our Hovercraft shipped from Midwest US. In both cases the opprox $120.00 USD orders came by UPS.

In both cases the final total cost was over $280.00 cdn.
This was partly due to immediate air shipping (charged on the invoice) and the "phone call" from UPS broker asking for additional $ for PST/GST and brokegage fees.

I don't have handy a specific breakdown, however suffice th say $120.USD to $280.CDN is more than exchange and shipping of 6-8 lb box.:-(
Message 30 of 628
latest reply

and how much was it to send it fedex ... purolator.... dhl... etc?
Photobucket

Message 31 of 628
latest reply

d2r2wlbc
Community Member
I dont have that answer. Calling from a $2.00/min sat phone to order stuff when I'm 100 miles up the Kechika River ya kinda say get it to me however you feel best.

I arranged pickup and additional shipping to Waston Lake Yukon and float plane delivery ourside that.

I have no issue with what I paid in total, merely leaving an example of cross border expenses for those who perhaps have not experienced this with their purchases on eBay.
David
Message 32 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
Wow David! You're really up north aren't you?

The example you gave earlier, coupled with the info on your location, certainly should be an eye-opener for a lot of people.

Message 33 of 628
latest reply

the north might be a lovely place to live.... but its expensive to get items shipped in...

:)
Photobucket

Message 34 of 628
latest reply

d2r2wlbc
Community Member
Welcome to my world..B-)

I actually live in the Cariboo region and we use the hovercraft like a riverboat to supply guide outfitters throughout the north, BC, AB, Yukon NWT and trying to get into Alaska.
Cheers, David
Message 35 of 628
latest reply

...fascinating... i'll ask for advice on an excursion when my lotto ship comes in...
Photobucket

Message 36 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
ooooooh cc .. take me take me :^O

Message 37 of 628
latest reply

d2r2wlbc
Community Member
I would love that, however, wifey has "issues" with me taking beautiful women into the wilderness for weeklong "excursions" LMAO,
David
Message 38 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
ROFL David!

Message 39 of 628
latest reply

moogie.... yer gonna have to put on a lumberjack disguise....
Photobucket

Message 40 of 628
latest reply