CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

mymonkeymama
Community Member
That's OK......they all wear high heels and frilly undergarments, anyway, don't they? ]:) :^O

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 41 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
Disguise? Like this? :^O

Message 42 of 628
latest reply

d2r2wlbc
Community Member
Ok Moogie, I showed deb your pic and "your in".;-)
Message 43 of 628
latest reply

sir_edward_ross
Community Member
:^O @ Monty's Lumberjack

La guerre, toujours la guerre. Pourquoi pas l'amour?

Message 44 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
ROFL David!

Message 45 of 628
latest reply

mymonkeymama
Community Member
Yup, moogie, that's the one ~LOL~

Message 46 of 628
latest reply

Photobucket

Message 47 of 628
latest reply

123leonni
Community Member
*hehe* if you live on reserve they won't charge ya any fees. Have probably bought fifteen items off ebay and never been charged taxes or fees.

I just work on reserve too, and am not native. I was wondering why I never got fees like I did when I'm living in the city and someone clued me in.:^O
Message 48 of 628
latest reply

and now that we know, so perhaps does the government... and they'll be out looking for people WORKING on the reserves and reciving international parcels at WORK address instead of home address....

sooner or later, that kind of thing catches up to you
Photobucket

Message 49 of 628
latest reply

ljgdesign
Community Member
Always have packages marked as "gift" on the description tags. My post office lady suggested that to me, it sometimes avoids a duty charge.
Message 50 of 628
latest reply

westoe*girl
Community Member
:-):-):-(:-(:-D:-DX-(:|;-):-p:-):|]:)B-):-):_|:^O:-x:|:^O]:)B-)B-)
Message 51 of 628
latest reply

they will catch on to that - how many people can you POSSIBLY be sending gifts to in a year's time???
Photobucket

Message 52 of 628
latest reply

lucky649
Community Member
Canadians should also be aware that the legislation reads that the cost of the goods and the cost of the transportation is subject to the taxes. I had this happen to me on an item below the $20 exemption and research the legislation and found it to be correct.
It should also be remembered that if the item is over the limit even by 1 cent, the whole amount is taxable.
Message 53 of 628
latest reply

rykkm
Community Member
Not only that, but should an item be over what the gift allowed amount is (different countries have different amounts), the buyer could very well be responsible for paying additional charges, something that they may not have to if the parcel was marked correctly.

Rick

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Frank Leahy
Message 54 of 628
latest reply

taciturnsphinx
Community Member
I'm not a Native American, so no tax breaks for me, but I can live with that, what bothers me are outrageous courier charges.
I've discovered, that unless it's mentioned by the seller that they will ship to you with USPS, you can expect a courier.
Before bidding, ask what they are using to ship the item, and after you win confirm that they will actually use it to ship your item.
I actually had one seller promise to ship with USPS, and then shipped it with UPS cause it was cheaper, and also he thought UPS and USPS were the same.
So now I don't tell them USPS any more but United States Postal Service. And hey, there are so many Yanks who have no clue where Canada is, so should it surprise you that some don't know what USPS means?
Thanks to canuckchat for a great original post, and he's so right. Informed buyers always do best.

Oh my Sweet Je....Skeksis!!!!
Message 55 of 628
latest reply

Very good thread...deserves a bump to the top for others.

Message 56 of 628
latest reply

123leonni
Community Member
"and now that we know, so perhaps does the government... and they'll be out looking for people WORKING on the reserves and reciving international parcels at WORK address instead of home address...."

Except I live on the reserve too during the entire school year. I live in a fly-in community so it's not possible to live off reserve during the teaching year.

Yeah, sellers soon learn that they (a) can't ship UPS..(the guys can't even figure out where I live is and aren't about to jump on a float plane to find out) and (b) have to ship airmail, cause sooner or later it's going to end up on a plane.

I guess there are advantages to living in the middle of no where.
Message 57 of 628
latest reply

yup.. plus you get a nice salary...
Photobucket

Message 58 of 628
latest reply

riccd2001
Community Member
So will this (post #58) cause a bump???
Message 59 of 628
latest reply

ayup
Photobucket

Message 60 of 628
latest reply