CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket

Message 81 of 628
latest reply

Up we go......

Message 82 of 628
latest reply

we KNOW how to keep a thread on page 1, right?

start an argument with someone? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 83 of 628
latest reply

ok, I just read war and peace....

Twice.

Can I buy in USA now? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 84 of 628
latest reply

you can read anything you want to and shop wherever you want to... we just simply use "bump" to keep a thread tacked... for informational purposes...

bumpity bump

Photobucket

Message 85 of 628
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
Bump! You learn someting new on the boards every day!
Photobucket
Message 86 of 628
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
*passing message along*

:^O

Message 87 of 628
latest reply

mauws2005
Community Member
If she told you in advance, why did you bid? That should have been a big red flag to run the other way.
Message 88 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
oh boy ...

Message 89 of 628
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member
I don't have to

:^O

I'm so pink, I get other people's pink slaps

Photobucket
Message 90 of 628
latest reply

mrslasalle
Community Member
I figured there would be a post about this. I just received a package today, that was supposed to be sent via USPS but the seller ended up sending it by UPS, and I had to pay an extra 58.92$ for import charges! Total value listed is 140$ and she marked Gift on the paperwork. Can I get some sort of refund from her, since this wasn't the shipping arrrangement that I had accepted??? In addition, she shipped it out 2 weeks after I paid. Why charge me 21$ shipping for 3-5 day delivery if she only sends it out 2 weeks later?!?!
Can I get any money back from her?? This is my first bad experience on ebay, I'm disappointed 😞
Message 92 of 628
latest reply

The item should not have been marked gift.

Was the value of the item claimed for customs correct, i.e. it was the amount you paid for your winning bid? If so, then the value assigned was correct.

The only thing you might try to do is negotiate that the seller pay you the difference between the $5 charge you would have had with postal service brokerage clearing and the amount of brokerage that you ended up paying the courier company.

You would still have to have paid the taxes (and/or duties if there were any) on the item, so those charges are still yours.

For instance, if you paid $35 in brokerage, see if they will ante up the $30 difference between the $5 canada post would charge for brokerage and the $35 from the courier company.
Photobucket

Message 93 of 628
latest reply

debraaleblanc
Community Member
My hard lesson had nothing to do with custom charges...I expect and don't mind paying these charges.

What I'm curious about, is why do some sellers list their items at a ridiculously low price, and charge unbelievably high prices for shipping & handling? For example...I found a used baby item for $16.95...then checked the shipping...it was $95.75! And I happen to know that $10 would have covered the shipping for this item. And I'm not saying that I don't expect a handling charge, but come-on, this borders on scamming.

Maybe this is a "legit" practice for ebay sellers? But I caution all buyers....MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE SHIPPING & HANDLING CHARGES.
Message 94 of 628
latest reply

illahiebeachgirl
Community Member
Was this a crib or a stroller? Did it come with the toddler? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 95 of 628
latest reply

they should pay YOU if you have to take the toddler...
Photobucket

Message 96 of 628
latest reply

...and anyway, this thread was not for high S&H charges.. it was to enlighten canadians on the fact that they might be paying higher brokerage if their items are shipped courier...
Photobucket

Message 97 of 628
latest reply

Thank you canuckchat, I'm definately more enlightened and appreciate the heads up concerning cross border charges. Still a little sketchy on the gift tag thing using reg post. I've been dinged once $40 Bones for a $25 Dollar knapsack through UPS, but I sent the damn thing back on first recourse. Now after reading a little here I'm armed and ready to shop !
Message 98 of 628
latest reply

"Gift" is when your granny or auntie sends you socks for christmas.

I don't think you can import bones ....
Photobucket

Message 99 of 628
latest reply