Can anyone explain this ?

H Gang:

OK, again, as usual I buy an item .... it goes thru and hits my PP and it's on my credit card!
Then about 20 mins later I get an email from EBay:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The listing you're interested in is no longer available
Hello davecason,
- We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won due to concerns with the seller's account: BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-520MHz Dual-Band DTMF FM ham 2 way radio Walkie Talkie
- Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Centre. You can learn how to do this, plus find timelines for opening cases, at:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html
If you're unable to open a case on eBay, contact your payment service provider to verify the status of the payment and to request a refund or cancellation if needed.
We wish you all the best on eBay and hope your future experiences are pleasant and successful. If you have questions, please click "Help & Contact" at the top of most eBay pages.
eBay still has lots of other great deals. Just go to http://www.ebay.ca to shop. We hope to see you soon. Thanks,
eBay
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea I can't even call you about it!

So what's the deal here, I buy something, and ebay is too stupid to control scammers or whatever, it gets billed on my credit card via PayPal and then I have to fart around and wait from them to refund my PP account?

Why can't they just go bing and reverse the charge and the whole thing - they freaken own pay-pal so what's the problem !?!

Can anyone explain this to me ?

Cheers'
Dave Cason

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can anyone explain this ?

OK, good .... so everyone knows how stupid this !  (grin)  And its not just me ......

Yea, I'm always using PP so needless to say I've always got the money back .....

But why is Ebay so very STUPID about it !?  You'd think they'd go oh gee a scammer,

let see if we can avoid having more of our customers get screwed over.

Anyway thanks for the terrific answer it's what I was looking for !

Cheers'

Dave Cason

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Take a deep breath.

Now.

EBay does this stupid thing where they kick a scammer off the site and make all his phoney transactions disappear.

Dumb.

But you paid with Paypal.

Go to your PP account and try to cancel the payment. It may not have been creditted to the scammer yet.

In any case there is a link there to the original listing.

The listing number is on the right side in tiny numbers  above the Item Specifics.

Copy it. You'll need it.

Go back to eBay and the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not Received Dispute.

Skip the suggestion that you contact the seller.

In the Dispute state that the seller is Not a Registered User  (NARU)

Ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

Be polite, because if this gets kicked over to humans they are going to decide if you get an immediate refund or have to wait until the last estimated date for arrival of the bogus item.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ah you didn't use Paypal?

That's a second layer of protection, but whatever.

Go to the 1-800 number on the back of your card, call customer service and ask about a chargeback.

Cards have various policies, and again, be polite because the clerk you talk to is in control of your refund.

Politely._ Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Oh no ....no problem there I did .......

My question is really just - Why does Ebay allow these listings - when one second you can place the order and they get your money and then - 20 min later you get these emails saying there's a problem with the listing?

If there is a problem with the listing - why is it listed !?!  Duh Ebay !!?  (grin) 

I know I'll my money back because it IS on PayPal - but if these listing are **bleep** how do they get seller accounts to post the scam in the first place?

Cheers'

Dave Cason

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

OK, good .... so everyone knows how stupid this !  (grin)  And its not just me ......

Yea, I'm always using PP so needless to say I've always got the money back .....

But why is Ebay so very STUPID about it !?  You'd think they'd go oh gee a scammer,

let see if we can avoid having more of our customers get screwed over.

Anyway thanks for the terrific answer it's what I was looking for !

Cheers'

Dave Cason

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

'cause it's ebay, & it's a "not my-we don't care" problem
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@davecason wrote:

... Why can't they just go bing and reverse the charge and the whole thing - they freaken own pay-pal so what's the problem !?!

eBay split from PayPal back in 2015  into two separate companies.

But yes, the whole process should be a lot less clunky than it currently is.

-..-

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I suspect the ongoing problem that brings out the most fear and loathing is exactly what @davecason  has pointed out.

We see this question over and over.

I don't worry quite as much about the "oopsie" after purchase and payment, the vast majority of bad listings and bad sellers are closed down before problems occur  (I may be optimistic but...).

That they do get closed down eventually is in the long view a good thing.

BUT

EBay does not make it clear that the scammed buyer has a quick way to resolve the problem.

The instruction to "wait until the estimated delivery period elapses" is not helpful.

I understand, I think, why eBay uses that wording, some of the closed listings will have been mailed out by the time the problem is spotted and some of the bad listings may be from honest sellers who goofed (the one that comes to mind would be selling Nazi flags into Germany. Legal(if disgusting) product, illegal destination.

BUT

Even though buyers who change their minds can ask the seller for an immediate cancellation, this is not possible with these closed listings. Ignoring the probability that the scammer would just giggle, there is suddenly no way to get in touch with the seller.

Could the shut down listing remain on the buyer's Purchase List? That would make it easier to get the information needed to open a Dispute.

Could the Resolution Centre's robots be programmed to allow Disputes to be opened immediately as part of the shut down of a listing (or seller)?

Could the Notice about the shut down be re-worded to assure the buyer that she is protected by the Money Back Guarantee, by Paypal's Buyer Protection policy and by the policies of the credit card they used with Paypal?

The third is probably the easiest. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply