Delivery Protocol - When is it Appropriate to Open an Item Not Rec'd Request

I ordered some car parts from Poland on Nov. 22

Item was Shipped on Nov. 24 2023 - by Ship/Boat - to Canada
The Expected date of Delivery was Dec 10
Returns Accepted - through Jan 10 2024 (Assuming it would have Arrived)

So it has been Over 1 month -since an update on Nov. 27 2023

As I understand it - I have until Jan 8th or 9th,  to file for an item Not Rec'd -  which I have done, to protect myself; should the item Not Arrive, or Arrive Damaged.

Seller replies to my Inquiry on Dec. 27th, and it would take a couple more weeks , due to the Shipping Method, and the Holidays.... - 

Who sets the Delivery Dates? is it the Seller or eBay?

As much as I don't want to cause this Seller ANY Inconviences or Losses.. 
I See No Other Option than to file for an Item Not Rec'd 
Otherwise- if it doesn't arrive, or if it is Damaged, I will take the loss.

Are there any Alternatives, for an Amicable Solution?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You are right to file the item not received case since it is the deadline to do so. It's almost a month past the estimated delivery date, and yes, the holidays do put things behind however you don't want to miss your window to get your money back if it doesn't arrive. Was it sent with tracking? Is that what you mean by last update? In any event you did the only thing you could to protect yourself on the last day. You could message the seller and say unfortunately you had to open a case since it was the last day allowable to do so and that if the item does arrive safely you are happy to reimburse them.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, the last update with tracking was over 1 month.
Canada Post (Destination Courier) site says: Waiting for item

But I'm still wondering, who sets the dates for the Estimated Deliveries; and if it could have been set longer... ?

Thank You for Your Reply, msau4301

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay sets the estimated delivery dates based on the shipping service selected by the seller.  Is the shipping method described in the listing as the generic "economy international shipping" or is a specific shipping method given?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Today!!

You only have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to file Claim.

Fortunately you have already done that.

Who sets the Delivery Dates? is it the Seller or eBay?

The seller chooses the service. EBay may use their experience of that service to give you the window for delivery.

There are two reasons sellers choose Surface.

The first is because it appears to be cheap and they fear their customers will not buy if faster but more expensive shipping is chosen.

This is a mistake.

The Buyer could not find The Thing in their own country or they would not be buying overseas.

This makes the cost of purchase and/or shipping less important than the need or desire for The Thing.

The other is that the seller knows that they will not be sending what was purchased and wants to put that discovery far enough downthe line that the buyer is bamboozled into waiting and waiting and waiting.

I note here your seller encouraged you to wait even longer when your purchase had not been delivered 17 days after expected, and 58 days after shipping.

It is always a mistake to choose Surface Shipping, whether you are the buyer or the seller. It all too often goes wrong.

And that means it is not cheap.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

And now I'm wondering what kind of car parts can onlybe purchased from Poland. Lada?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I do trust the Seller, 
As for the method of Shipping- it makes No Difference to me - Nor the Country in which I buy my items.  In this case it was a Couple of Disk Brake Vacuum/Dust Plates.  
The Cheaper the Better- though this may depend on Quality and how quickly it's needed.
I almost alway order, What is Cheapest at the Check Out!
It was Mutually Agreed, to use the Cheapest Shipping Method.

I do trust the seller, However; Risk $80.00 CAN?

I have sent the Seller a Message with an Offer, to Repay if the Correct Parts arrive - Undamaged.
My "Suggestion" is that eBay- Allow Sellers and Buyers, to "Modify" their Agreements in such a case.

I appreciate everyone's replies to this matter, to help me, and hopefully others, learn more about the Shipping Process.
Thank You!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The best deal is not necessarily the cheapest deal.

Surface has always been slow, two to three months for arrival has been the norm for decades. The introduction of container ships only made it worse, since now each ship tries to fill as many containers as it can carry. The first container may have been loaded weeks before the last is strapped on.

And as you say, the longer in transit, the greater the chance of damage in transit.

However, you are not only covered by eBay's Buyer Protection but also by Paypal (if you used it, always a smart choice) and by the credit card you really paid with.

PP and most cards allow 180 days from payment for Claims while eBay allows 30 days from last estimated date for delivery.

Note that if you go to the card, PP will not entertain your Claim, and if you go to the card or to PP, eBay will not entertain your Claim.  Because: double-dipping.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply