Ebay Global Shipping Program

I'm always surprise when I inform a seller the cost i have to pay when the seller use GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM to deliever his merchandise to Canada. I understood many sellers use that service without knowledge. The seller has posted an item less than $5 and he use Global shipping program who fix the shipping at more than $20USD. UNREASONNABLE. Ebay receive the package from the seller and repack it to the buyer. A lot of manipulation.......At the end it's not interested to buy from US. I know US is a bigger country than Canada but I think US sellers miss good opportunities to enlarge their sales by including Canada with unreasonnable shipping fees. 

Another point : Global Shipping program indicate ''including custum duty '' to explain their pricing. But folks, there is no custum fees under $700 following the agreement USA/Canada

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member

@mario909 wrote:

I'm always surprise when I inform a seller the cost i have to pay when the seller use GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM to deliever his merchandise to Canada. I understood many sellers use that service without knowledge. The seller has posted an item less than $5 and he use Global shipping program who fix the shipping at more than $20USD. UNREASONNABLE.

Many sellers opted into the program many years ago by clicking on an acceptance button that they thought was meant to mean that they accepted an update to the user agreement, but it was actually an agreement to use the GSP.  And even now, the user agreement has a clause that I interpret to mean that eBay can apply the GSP to certain listings if it "wants".

The GSP is a forwarding service, meaning that the shipping price you see is actually two shipping charges: the seller's charge for shipping the item to the forwarding base in Kentucky, and then the GSP's shipping charge on top of that.  The GSP bases its shipping charge on information the seller provides on the item's size and weight, not the price of the item.  Shipping charges are never based on the price of the item.  If the seller doesn't provide any information or enough information or inaccurate information on the item's size and weight, the bot is going to calculate a rubbish shipping charge based on the category in which the seller listed the item.

Having said all that, I just looked up the US Postal Service rates for shipping a 250 gram package from Kentucky to my postal code and the cheapest rate it came up with was US$22.10.  Without knowing the size of the item you have in mind or your location, I don't know if that's a fair comparison or not, but it certainly looks as though the GSP is competitive, and that's with the seller's shipping charge on top of the GSP's charge!

@mario909 wrote:

At the end it's not interested to buy from US. I know US is a bigger country than Canada but I think US sellers miss good opportunities to enlarge their sales by including Canada with unreasonnable shipping fees. 

Many years ago, I did an informal survey of US sellers on the eBay.com discussion boards and came to the conclusion that whether US sellers who ship to just about every country out there or if they just ship to a handful, the outcome is generally the same: sales to Canada make up a very small proportion of their total sales.  As you suggest, we have about one-tenth of the population of the United States.  What we don't buy from US sellers will likely be purchased eventually by a US buyer anyway.

@mario909 wrote:

Another point : Global Shipping program indicate ''including custum duty '' to explain their pricing. But folks, there is no custum fees under $700 following the agreement USA/Canada

The duty-free limit for "casual imports" shipped by courier (which is what the GSP is considered as stuff makes it over the border in a big Purolator or Canpar truck) is C$140.  The tax-free limit is C$40.  Most "import charges" on GSP shipments are made up of an estimate of GST/HST and various customs processing charges that amount to around four to five US bucks.  Actually, for a US$5 item, the processing charges are added to the shipping charge, which may be one reason why the shipping charge on that item you're looking at appears to be so out of line.

This isn't intended as a defence of the program, you understand.  I just find that if you understand the ways of your enemy, you can use this information better to your advantage.  I've found that cell phones have been a great fit for the GSP and they've never been repacked.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

marnotom! has already left a great, detailed response on how it works (shipping, taxes, etc.)

While I hated the system when it first came out (it wasn't around when I started buying here 10 years ago), I came to accept it (and actually be relieved in some cases) that it was available since I still occassionally (as a collector) see something I would have loved to buy....but the seller only ships in the US (without Global).

I'll never forget years back (this was before Global Shipping) when I asked a US seller if she would ship to Canada her response was "No, sorry I don't ship overseas!" If there are some who think we are "overseas" I guess they think it would be too complicated, they don't want to worry about filling out a customs form, etc. The Global Shipping takes over all of this for them. They ship to Kentucky and it's no different (for them) than shipping to another US buyer.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The seller has posted an item less than $5 and he use Global shipping program who fix the shipping at more than $20USD.

Shipping to Canada with tracking is not related to the value of the item but to its weight, dimensions and destination.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Take something like a paperback book. 17x1012cm, weight 200 gr.  I can ship it to anywhere in Canada for $3.19 or to the USA for $5.57.

BUT if I want to track it to the USA- and US sellers are fanatics about tracking- That would cost me $$14.44.

Same with the USA.

That package would cost at least $30.70 by Priority Mail Small Flat Box. Or $29.60 for a Flat Rate International Envelope.

Without tracking, shipping as a Letter would cost $3.42.

But most sellers who signed up for the GSP are terrified of shipping outside the USA. It is interesting to note that many of them also refuse to ship to Hawaii or Alaska.

And they don't want to deal with the horror of customs forms. Which will print up automatically if they bought their shipping label through eBay.

And if we ask that the item be shipped via USPS we end up on the Blocked Bidder List because only a crooked foreigner would not want tracking,right?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

when the GSP started up years ago i was hopeful it would die on the vine, because in many cases it's such a rip off.  However, it has endured. 

I've yet to ever buy a single item from a seller who uses GSP.   I have found with patience and a little diligence, i can find the item elsewhere.  I came close to using GSP recentlly but the deal breaker was the fact delivery is done by Intelcom.  After reading pages of 1 star reviews on numerous sites, i decided to pass. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply