GSP for Canadian buyer

souam666
Community Member
I have been buying on ebay for a very long time. Like how they are trying to improve both seller and buyer experience but the GSP program isn't suitable for Canadian buyers. You buy an item. It gets ship with let say usps then transfers hand to pbi the transfered again to something like Canada Post. The import fees are pre charged and non refundable enven if custom did nit get involved. I wish ebay would offer the protection services for the seller without all these steps. Most time I receive my item from AliExpress before the GSP program. Wich is very annoying.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

GSP for Canadian buyer

marnotom!
Community Member

Nit-picking time: The GSP is technically no more.  It's been replaced by a similar program that's been confusingly called "eBay International Shipping" (eIS).

eIS has a lot of perks for the sellers who use it.  It serves a lot of countries in addition to Canada, and some buyers don't seem to mind it too much if it bypasses the difficult process of a direct mailed shipment going through customs in their particular country.  But for us Canadians who have seen a lot of the impediments to trade with the US whittled away since the end of the Second World War, the only way to make it work better than direct shipments would likely be to use expensive express shipping and handling which nobody in their right mind would pay for.

The GSP and eIS have made many Canadian eBayers aware that their low-value casual imports are just as subject to charges for taxes (HST/GST/PST) as their purchases from Canadian sellers.  I don't know how long your "long time" on eBay is, but when my wife and I first joined eBay, we could count on about half of our direct mailed purchases getting assessed tax (and occasionally duty) charges by Canada Border Services that we'd have to pay before getting our item from the post office or mail carrier.  By the late '00s, seeing those charges on those purchases was a very rare thing; CBSA was giving most of them a pass even though they were technically valued at more than the tax and duty-free limit of C$20.

Items sent through GSP and eIS go through customs pre-clearance processes that may not be immediately obvious, but they go through customs processing regardless.  You're not being charged for something that isn't being done.  The confusing part seems to be that right now, items handled by eIS can be charged taxes at checkout or they may be charged upon receipt of the item, depending on the nature of the item and/or its value.  At some point, the system is supposed to be modified so that buyers can choose how they want the taxes handled, but eIS seems to be going through a lot of growing pains that are slowing down the rollout of new features, particularly the ability for the program to combine shipments of multiple items from the same seller.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

GSP for Canadian buyer

The GSP/eIS is a Seller Protection program.

It does not offer any advantages to buyers, nor was it designed to.

It is possible to ask the seller, BEFORE buying, if they will consider using USPS First Class International Package for shipping, mentioning that this service does include TRACKING which is of paramount importance to most US sellers.

Two caveats- the shipping may actually be higher with FCIP since eIS uses cheaper bulk/palletized shipping to Canada.

-and if your purchase is over $150 you may be charged duty and over $40 you will be charged sales taxes, plus any brokerage fees the shipper charges. (As low as $9.95 forCanada Post, but couriers start around $25).

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

GSP for Canadian buyer

Anonymous
Not applicable
I for one will be leaving eBay Been a member since 2003 Haven’t been buying as much as fees etc have made eBay no longer my first choice I recently purchased an item using their GSP only to find out that the hub in Glendale heights OSM have an atrocious record for delays in delivery .. it took one week to go from Houston to Glendale heights not even 1,000 miles And I’m fearing how long they will take to get my item on its way to me Alreaxy paid the fees up front (taxes) but from what I’ve been reading I’m hoping I will get it period EBay I’m sure are fully aware of the terrible service they give to the point that if you mention anything about the horrid service they will delete it from the feedback EBay and not wants to make more money off of us Canadians and dies not care about quality Same with PayPal I already took them out of the equation and once hopefully after I receive this item I will be washing my hands of eBay
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

GSP for Canadian buyer

Blaming eBay for a mail sortation problem in Houstom, Texas is ridiculous...and shows how little many buyers understand about the shipping processes involved between USA & Canada....

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

GSP for Canadian buyer

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Blaming eBay for a mail sortation problem in Houstom, Texas is ridiculous...and shows how little many buyers understand about the shipping processes involved between USA & Canada....

Yeah, I have to agree.  In the decade or so that eBay has had these international forwarding schemes in place, I've seen it catch a lot of flack for problems that aren't of its own making.

It's a bit like saying one will never go to any A&W outlet again because there was a broken escalator to the food court in one particular mall.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply