GSP item damaged in transit: what are my options?

Hello there,
I finally received today something shipped May 2nd (Covid-19 delay!).  Unfortunately, it was damaged in transit...  The main problem is that it's an artwork, so it's not possible to just get another one like that.  I already messaged the seller about my disappointment, but I feel that the packaging was not sufficient to reduce such a risk.  Since it went through GSP, who will get stuck with the refund if I claim it officially?  Even if it's damaged (and impossible to restore, should I add), I consider keeping it still because I might never get something from the same artist in the future, but I really feel like I overpaid a lot considering its present condition.  The seller being a nonprofit, I also don't feel good about letting them with the burden of complete refund.
Will GSP bite the bullet if I ask for a refund, or the seller?  Who is responsible for the final packaging?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@fh991586 wrote:
One thing: the only option I had was to send a request for a return (even though the seller is listed as not accepting returns in this case). The process doesn't get to eBay arbitration until a delay if we don't agree on a solution. Not as easy as I would have thought... 😕

When a buyer files a buyers remorse return (changed mind, found cheaper, clothing doesn’t fit etc) and the seller doesn’t accept returns The seller can refuse the return.   When the request is filed because the item is not as described, damaged etc.  the seller is given the option to accept return and send you money for a return label or refund without a return.

If they don’t want to do either and wait for eBay to step in, they will almost certainly have to refund anyways and will then get a defect on their account.   In this case though,  unless the seller is sure the damage was caused by him, they shouldn’t refund until they are sure that the gsp is not going to take responsibility.  But they still don’t want ebay to step in.

International returns can be a bit complicated and gsp returns even more so.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That’s odd, I’ve never seen gsp tracking using usps before.

I'm pretty sure that there's a handful of posts out there from eBay users (I think mostly in Quebec) who have said that their GSP items were handled by mail or a mail consolidator from Erlanger, but this is the first where I've seen the tracking to bear that out.  

There's another thread on the go on the .com boards that where it appears--with a bit of detective work--that Pitney Bowes used Ascendia to get GSP items to the USPS Chicago International Mail Centre.  This particular item has had its tracking dead-end there as of May 21.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

only option I had was to send a request for a return (even though the seller is listed as not accepting returns in this case).

Sellers are allowed to opt for No Returns.

They are not allowed to opt for No Refunds.*

For example, a glass vase is poorly packed (seller's error) or run over by a Bobcat (shipper's error). The seller is allowed to refund the buyer without having to pay for the return of a box of broken glass.

*There are minor exceptions for Buyer Remorse.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Whether the gsp is deemed responsible for the damage or not, they will still be the ones to refund the money that was paid to them...the import fees and international shipping portion.

Does the GSP still take the stance that they don't want to see the disputed item again in any case?

Early on, GSP allowed the unhappy buyer to dispose of the unwanted item without a return, having no interest in dealing with a lot of damaged merchandise. Too expensive.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Whether the gsp is deemed responsible for the damage or not, they will still be the ones to refund the money that was paid to them...the import fees and international shipping portion.

Does the GSP still take the stance that they don't want to see the disputed item again in any case?

Early on, GSP allowed the unhappy buyer to dispose of the unwanted item without a return, having no interest in dealing with a lot of damaged merchandise. Too expensive.

It hasn't changed, it depends on the situation.  The gsp doesn't require a return if they are the ones refunding in full. But if the problem is deemed to be caused by the seller and the seller wants the item back then the seller pays for return shipping and when they refund their portion, the gsp will refund the import and international shipping fees. 

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Well, it didn't take long!
I was awarded a "courtesy refund" (sic), item + shipping + GSP, and there was no instruction regarding the item. I'll have to ask the seller what happened on their end...
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

As the turnaround on this was so rapid and a courtesy refund issued, I suspect the seller was not involved in this at all.
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I first received a message from eBay stating that the seller requested eBay "to step in and help" on this case, and quickly after got the complete refund message. A private message from the seller today makes me think they're pretty happy too with how it ended, without details.
I still wished I had received an undamaged original artwork, even meaning paying full price for it... 😕
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I'm glad it worked out, but I have a Brand New sewing machine sent through the GSP arrive damaged and I really don't want to start another thread. I will if you folks think I should.

I received the notice that it was shipped, then the notice it had arrived @ Kentucky and lastly that it had been handed off to Canpar. It actually arrived a week early.

The person who delivered it put it on the ground standing up on the end with the heavy part of the SM on the bottom.

When my wife and I put it on the table there seemed to be a rattling sound, and when we opened the box we found the tension knob missing with all the 7 parts loose in the box. We tried to reattach the parts but gave up when we realized the post coming out of the machine was broken. A piece of styrofoam had also come apart, so it seems the box had been dropped or seen some sort of abuse.

I contacted the seller asking whether they wanted photos and what they wanted to do. I will wait for their answer and will take whatever steps they want as it is now back in the box ready to be shipped back.

My better half had scoured the web for sewing machines for quite some time, she had looked at many reviews and finally found the one she wanted, so saying she is disappointed is an understatement. Hehe it took over 3 months to find the fridge she liked, with yours truly trundling along helping to open the doors, set the trays etc..

Please forgive the ramble, but when I phoned to see how much it would cost to fix the knob ($140 +tax) and would take 5 weeks my jaw just dropped.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply