Global shipping program frustration

lms1123
Community Member

After being, what I would consider, a very good buyer on Ebay for many years, I need to share with the general community my total frustration with the Global shipping program. I am tracking an Item being shipped from the US to Canada  and yet again it is taking forever. After 6 days it is still in the USA and has changed location 4 times so far, considering ebay estimate it should arrive in another 12 days total of 18 days?  This is far from an isolated event, since the invention of this non-efficiant system, there has been no truly preceivable improvement, and I feel, my view is shared with many other users. (shipping before with USPostal was much better, about 4 days)  The Global Shipping Program has only caused very long delays and massive increase in costs for buyers, which over time transforms to lower bidding and obviously less money in pocket for sellers,. Moving items around like this takes man power, time, and huge amounts of fuel, ebay is the only winner with what can only be classed as a money grabbing scheme. With the world turning to reducing greenhouse gases, it strikes me that should Ebay abandon this very frustrating program, it would have nothing but positive effects for Buyers, Sellers and the planet in general.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Global shipping program frustration

What happened to the 7% PST(RST) on the item? Not much wonder why buyers think the Import Fees in the GSP is a made up $ amount.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

What happened to the 7% PST(RST) on the item? Not much wonder why buyers think the Import Fees in the GSP is a made up $ amount.

For whatever reason, the GSP bot just factors in duties and federal taxes when calculating an estimate on the import charges, not provincial sales taxes.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Possibly because the algorithm knows that all Canadians pay GST but provincial taxes depend on location, so again until there is an actual purchase with a confirmed address, the algorithm can't calculate provincial taxes.

And again, while this is interesting to know, it is only necessary for businesses, who are not supposed to be using the GSP, in any case.  The correct total is given before payment. The Buyer can back out if the corrected total is not acceptable.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Possibly because the algorithm knows that all Canadians pay GST but provincial taxes depend on location, so again until there is an actual purchase with a confirmed address, the algorithm can't calculate provincial taxes.

The algorithm bases the estimate of the import charges on the listing page on the postal code entered into the "shipping" section of the listing.  For my handful of purchases of GSP-forwarded items, I'm 99% certain that the estimated import charges didn't change once I reached checkout as my postal code was the same.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Thought that I'd chime in... I don't have too much to add, as others have already covered the topic well.

While I am not a fan of the GSP, it has opened up the variety of goods available for purchase. You have the choice to either buy or not, based on the information given. I've found that what the GSP charges dosen't change much (or at all) once you check out. The main variable is the exchange rate, so I've built in an extra 5% into my budget, and ev'rything works out in the end.

You can always reach out to your seller, and ask them if they'll ship via your method of choice. I ask them if they'd consider using  USPS First Class Int'l., as it is trackable, and has a 4lb wieght cap.

You may get lucky. YMMV.

If you do convince your seller to go the non-GSP route, expect to teach them how to turn off the GSP,  how to set up the listing to ship internationally, and how (and what) to put on the customs form.

Remember that you are going to have to sell them on the idea that they may have to do some leg work to compleat the sale. This is why the GSP is popular- Sellers don't have to do any of these things when they use the programme.

At the end of the day, you as the consumer, have the choice of where you drop yr hard earned cash.  

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Import fees were $7.78. I concluded the $7.78 was Pitney Bowes brokerage fee to determine the item did not have any GST/PST nor Duties assessed on it.

Well actually.

There would be no duty, since the NAFTA duty-free allowance is $150.

But you would be charges sales tax, because the NAFTA tax-free allowance is $40.

However, you are right that much of the charge would be GSP's service/brokerage charge of ~$5.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I have to add my two cents worth ..

Ebay Global Shipping is just another money grab with no advantages at all.  It only serves to delay the shipping process and makes for unneccsary extra handling which can further add to possible damage or loss of your parcel.

I have ordered goods from USA, France and the UK through there respective postal services and have always had good service with very few delays. In some cases parcels have arrived from overseas to Canada at my door within 8 days.  Global Shipping only hinders and delays the shipping service .

They try to sell their line about "No surprises at the door" .  Well most anything you purchase from outside of the country may be subject to Sales tax and or duty of some sort.  If there is HST or duty  required I just pay my "surprise" at the door , no big deal.

When goods arrive in Canada it is a Canada Customs decision whether to assess duty/taxes on a package depending on the contents and  the value etc. In some cases they don't bother.

I resent having a foreign company like Global shippping making this decision, deciding to charge me these costs and further more I hate the fact that I  have  to pay a  Canadian HST/Duty fee  plus Global shipping surcharges in US currency with its 30% exchange , thereby adding to my costs.

Whenever I see Global Shipping on an Ebay listing I always ask the seller if they will ship  with the appropriate postal shipping service or else I just move on.  They can do that  and if they say no,  I take my business elsewhere.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@ticsandpics wrote:

When goods arrive in Canada it is a Canada Customs decision whether to assess duty/taxes on a package depending on the contents and  the value etc. In some cases they don't bother.

I resent having a foreign company like Global shippping making this decision, deciding to charge me these costs and further more I hate the fact that I  have  to pay a  Canadian HST/Duty fee  plus Global shipping surcharges in US currency with its 30% exchange , thereby adding to my costs.

When you purchase something from a brick and mortar retailer, do you or the retailer have any say in whether you're charged HST or not?

By the way, are you purchasing stuff for resale?  Your focus on exchange rates and reference to "costs" makes me think you might be.  The Global Shipping Program wasn't designed with B2B sales in mind.  However, I'm no accountant, but I think you might be able to write off the GSP's "import charges" as a business expense.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Followup to @wildcatca1970 ...

Just throwing this out there FWIW. It probably would have been much more helpful if the program was better documented by eBay for all concerned. SELLERS AND potential BUYERS. So everyone would know what they were in for as soon as an item was listed and/or  the buyer committed to buy. And maybe including a detailed customs invoice after the fact would be useful. The concerns about this program (GSP) are reported regularly but there does not seem to be the will to improve it. Both for delivery concerns  and the associated end costs involved.

-Lotz

Message 29 of 29
latest reply