Got scammed by a rude seller

Hello, this is my first post on the community, and sorry in advance with my bad English.

Recently I purchased a gaming related account on eBay, at first it seemed pretty normal other than the fact that the seller is a little rude and violent, but after a couple days the account information (email + password) were changed. I contacted the seller, and the seller offered me another account. The seller offered me about 3-5 accounts in total until a couple days ago, and all of the accounts kept on getting recovered. And finally I think it was the 6th account that didn't get recovered for about half a month. I made purchases within the account, and I even set up a second authorization log in. But the account still got recovered after half a month of usage.

I wasn't really happy because I made about $20ish of purchase within the account, and the seller is treating me in a really rude manner. And I contacted the eBay seller and asked them to give me a refund+the amount of money I spent in a recovered account, or replace me with 2 other reliable accounts. (I purchased the account for $10USD, so I think it is a understandable deal). But the seller got really really **bleep** at me and saying that I was the one changing the account password, and giving him a proof that I actually made purchases. I asked the seller multiple times that if this is a stolen account, and the seller seems to dodge my question. At this point I figured that this seller is most likely selling me stolen accounts.

I left a negative feedback with the seller, and started a refund. The seller accepted my refund, and told me to return the account back to him. Even though we both knew it got recovered by its previous owner. I read a bit of eBay money back policy and I didn't find the "let ebay step in" tab. I mean... the seller is a new ebay member, and has a pretty bad reputation of just reach 90% of positive feedback.

So currently I'm not really sure what to do, I don't know if its possible for the seller to refund more than I paid. But on the other hand I don't really just want a refund since I did spend a lot of time and decent amount of money on that last account. I hope to see some recommendation from the community. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It sounds as though your seller is selling you hacked accounts which would be against eBay policy.

Your best option would be to contact eBay by phone regarding the transaction. Use the contact link at the bottom of the eBay page, it will ask you a bunch of questions. Select policy violation at one stage and it should give you a one time code and a number to call.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

you can't get refunded more then you originally paid.. period.  You seem to have sold a few accounts yourself, and you said the seller has given you at least 6 account log ins.  so how did you not know they were hacked accounts.. report the listing, report the seller and if you get your 20$ back you should be happy with that. And take it as a lesson learned. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Since you were buying digital items, neither eBay nor Paypal offer any protection against this kind of scam.

And I contacted the eBay seller and asked them to give me a refund+the amount of money I spent in a recovered account, or replace me with 2 other reliable accounts.

Never ask for or accept a replacement.

There is no reason to think it will be any better than the original.

You want a refund.

I asked the seller multiple times that if this is a stolen account, and the seller seems to dodge my question.

Yup.

And he's not going to admit it, is he?

and started a refund. The seller accepted my refund, and told me to return the account

At best you could--- hmmm-- you have his physical address from the Paypal invoice?

Since you can't prove the return of the digital item, you could try writing the code on a piece of paper and mailing it back to him with Confirmation of Delivery. (And the original code by email although this is, in terms of the Dispute, meaningless.)

If he is in Canada that would be either Expedited Parcel or Registered Mail.

If he is in the USA that would be Tracked Packet.

Both would cost you around $17 in postage.

So.....

Do you back your PP account with a credit card?

Phone the 1-800 number on the back of the card and ask the clerk about a chargeback.

Have all your dates, payments, currency, and transaction numbers handy, since she does not have access to those.

I don't know if its possible for the seller to refund more than I paid.

Nope.

Neither your card nor PP will refund more than the money they handled for you.

You'll have to write the rest off to experience.

And a lesson-- scammers lie.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply