I am Canadian & do not buy from the states no more. Import charges scam.

Ever since the import charges show up on USA sellers items ..I no longer buy from them...thanks ebay. Any US seller asking for import charges is automatically skimmed over. China,UK,Australia...now have my business. If you wnna say..well...I don't want to sell to you anyway..then your dumb as nails...a successful ebayer sells to everyone.... Anyone else feel the same way?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I am Canadian & do not buy from the states no more. Import charges scam.

@easyco69 wrote:

Ever since the import charges show up on USA sellers items ..I no longer buy from them...thanks ebay. Any US seller asking for import charges is automatically skimmed over. China,UK,Australia...now have my business.

...a successful ebayer sells to everyone.... Anyone else feel the same way?

You missed seeing the 6000+ messages in

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Comments-about-the-Global-Shipping-Program/td-p/149059

I will point out that the Global Shipping Program is available for both USA and UK sellers.

eBay automatically adds GSP to certain listings (without telling the seller). You can always contact the seller and ask them if they are willing to ship direct to Canada. The help file http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html has a section telling the seller how to modify an active listing to remove GSP for Canada and add another shipping method.

An American-based seller does not need Canada to be a success.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I do the same thing.. I don't buy from US. Is it not up to the canadain customs to deside how much i should or should not pay.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@easyco69 wrote:

Ever since the import charges show up on USA sellers items ..I no longer buy from them...thanks ebay. Any US seller asking for import charges is automatically skimmed over. China,UK,Australia...now have my business. If you wnna say..well...I don't want to sell to you anyway..then your dumb as nails...a successful ebayer sells to everyone.... Anyone else feel the same way?

The seller isn't asking for the import charges.  

The charges aren't a scam.  At least, I don't think they're your version of a scam, as you never really explained why you think that.

If you're using a laptop or desktop computer when you're on the eBay site, it should be a simple matter to click the "learn more" link on a listing page where import charges are levied to find out why the import charges are being levied and who's getting them and why.

All imports shipped by mail or courier with a declared value of over C$20 are subject to GST/HST and provincial sales taxes, as well as duty and processing fees.  If you've never been charged these for an item sent by mail, you've simply been very lucky, just like you've probably never had a speeding ticket for every single time you went over the speed limit.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@mobile_mac wrote:

I do the same thing.. I don't buy from US. Is it not up to the canadain customs to deside how much i should or should not pay.

Only items sent by mail go through the laborious process of being cleared and assessed taxes and duty by customs.  Other shipments go through some sort of pre-clearance process where customs brokers or logistics firms calculate the taxes and duty owing on behalf of the shipper.  Items forwarded through the Global Shipping Program are considered freight and go through customs as such.

As mentioned in my previous post, pretty much all items with a declared value of C$20 or more are subject to tax and duty charges.  Whether or not items sent by mail actually see those charges assessed and charged to the importer (buyer) is another matter entirely.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@mobile_mac wrote:

....Is it not up to the canadain customs to deside how much i should or should not pay.

Are you certain of that? 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Its not up too the grammmer polise to decede how i spel or dont.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Before you draw a line in the sand and wash your hands off GSP items, I want you to compare the shipping prices of similar items without the use of GSP and you may be surprised to find out that you might actually pay more if the seller used USPS.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

Before you draw a line in the sand and wash your hands off GSP items, I want you to compare the shipping prices of similar items without the use of GSP and you may be surprised to find out that you might actually pay more if the seller used USPS.

Agree, I constantly read about the negatives of having to pay the import fees/taxes with GSP, but the TOTAL shipping fees can sometimes be less than from sellers who ship exclusively with USPS. And even then depending on the value you can still get dinged for duty/taxes on USPS shipments.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

Totally agree. Especially if the seller offers free domestic shipping, GSP is often less or equal to regular USPS. You really need to compare prices. Sometimes it's not worth it, but sometimes it is.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply