If an item is not received and gets resent who pays shipping?

mr.gats
Community Member

We recently (back in August..) purchased an item that wasn't received after 2 months and agreed to have the item resent with tracking number. The item finally came in yesterday but we were charged $10 COD.

The seller said they would have the item resent with a tracking number but never once mentioned that to have it resent we would have to pay any additional fees.

I understand that shipping overseas takes forever and didn't mind the wait, but I'm paying almost half the cost of the item itself over again. They said the original item may have been resent back to their warehouse (never gave me a definite ~ just that "may have") so they might not even been put out any money.

Is this normal? If an item isn't received and needs to be resent should buyer pay double shipping? ~I've never had to before, but perhaps I've just been lucky in that way?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

if you never received the original item, and the seller  reshipped the same item to you, NO. you are not required to pay for shipping the second time, unless you agreed to pay for tracking, or a shipping upgrade..

In hindsight, when you didn't receive the item the first time, you should have asked for a refund and then repurchased the item..

At this point i would contact the seller, and ask for your shipping cost to be refunded, unless you agreed to upgrade the shipping.

If the seller refuses to pay you back , i am unsure of what recourse you have at this point.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If the buyer gives the wrong address or if the item is otherwise undeliverable,  the  buyer pays for the item to be resent.

Because the responsibility for the non-delivery is with the buyer.

If the seller does not send the item, or if he mistakenly puts the wrong address on the package, the seller pays for the item to be resent.

Because it was his error that caused the problem.

purchased an item that wasn't received after 2 months

Normally this is the seller's responsibility.

but

and agreed to have the item resent with tracking number.

You agreed to an upgrade to the shipping service.

That's what the $10 represents-- that upgrade to a tracked service.

If you either insisted on tracking OR agreed to tracking, you owe the $10.

If the seller tracked without discussing it with you - cost or not- it is not your responsibility.

I would send a polite note to the seller, thanking him for resending your purchase and telling him that it had arrived safely.

Then,having reviewed your previous messages, you should either

• request a refund/refuse (politely) to may the upgrade you did not agree to
  • pay the $10, although you should (politely) explain that you are not happy about it
  • ask if the $10 could be negotiated, because there were errors and misunderstandings on both sides.

After two months there is not much eBay will do for you.

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

You have 180 days from your original payment for a dispute through Paypal.

Politely- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Are you sure the $10 charge was for shipping and not customs-related charges? What shipping method did the seller use?
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Are you sure the $10 charge was for shipping and not customs-related charges? What shipping method did the seller use?

That's what I was asking myself too. Because COD usually means taxes with UPS, Fedex, etc.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply