Item send back to sender for wrong address, and eBay wont refund

tk594379
Community Member
To make story short, i did a purchase from a US seller through the GSP and never received the item. In shipping detail page it says delivered but when I click another tracking number start with a # in the same page, it redriect me to a USPS tracking page shows my item was send back to seller for incorrect address. I opened up a case but eBay replied me that I can not receive a refund since the item was "delivered". I paid 80 dollars for a product I dont even receive. What can I do? Please help.
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Item send back to sender for wrong address, and eBay wont refund

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I have doubts this has anything to do with the Global Shipping Program or Pitney Bowes. That track history is illogical. I'd call Canada Post to ask them to explain. As the receipient of the parcel, you cannot open a ticket for this (only the sender may) but you can call CPC's 1-800-number to ask them what it means and explain the trouble it has caused you.

Checking the tracking history on the Canada Post website, the 11:03 scan is transcribed as "Delivered to community mailbox or parcel locker" and the 11:04 scan is transcribed as "Item being returned to sender. Incomplete address."  

So what possibly happened is that the item was scanned when it got to the community mailbox (or PO box station), only for the carrier (or mail sorter) to find that there wasn't enough information on the address label to put the item in the correct mailbox, so it got scanned shortly afterwards as undeliverable.

So it might be a Pitney Bowes (or subcontractor) error if, as you suggested many posts ago, that a hash was made of the address when it was printed out for the address label.

Message 41 of 69
latest reply

I think it would be in the OP's best interests to determine what CPC has to offer as a theory and then take that information to eBay the next time they speak.

There is an explanation to be found somewhere at the bottom of all this. It shouldn't be the job of the buyer to work at it as hard as they'll have to in order to get resolution to the matter of a re-ship or refund, the seller or eBay should be attempting to clarify the issue too.
Message 42 of 69
latest reply

Or at least I would expect any decent seller would care and push from their end too but that apparently doesn't happen with most sellers who use the GSP. My first and third bad experiences with the GSP involved sellers who washed their hands of the problem entirely but the second kept in constant contact with me so that I had support and advice from his end throughout.
Message 43 of 69
latest reply

Can we confirm for the OP that if he or she has truly lost the case with eBay that PayPal will or won't allow her to open a case of its own afterwards? Does anyone have that information handy? I don't recall the rules with it. I thought one precludes the other but I'm not certain.
Message 44 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Can we confirm for the OP that if he or she has truly lost the case with eBay that PayPal will or won't allow her to open a case of its own afterwards? Does anyone have that information handy? I don't recall the rules with it. I thought one precludes the other but I'm not certain.

I was wondering the same thing, but even if the OP can't open a case on PP if eBay closes it, a phone call to PP should get a (positive) response.

PP can be much easier to work than eBay is because it's more personal.

Message 45 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I think it would be in the OP's best interests to determine what CPC has to offer as a theory and then take that information to eBay the next time they speak.

There is an explanation to be found somewhere at the bottom of all this. It shouldn't be the job of the buyer to work at it as hard as they'll have to in order to get resolution to the matter of a re-ship or refund, the seller or eBay should be attempting to clarify the issue too.

There's nothing to stop the OP from getting in touch directly with Pitney Bowes right now.  PB has the tracking information at its disposal and the CSR may be able to make a judgement call on what happened with the item, particularly if they also have the buyer's address on file for the transaction.  I think there's even a chance that PB may be able to recover the item if they're contacted soon enough.  Remember that thread from a buyer who had problems because their item shared a Canada Post tracking number with another item?  The item was located and resent to the buyer.

While there has only been a handful of posts on PB's customer service for buyers using the GSP, I haven't read a single negative one yet.  On the other hand, I've read pretty much nothing but negative reports on how buyers are treated through eBay if they have a GSP issue.

The buyer has paid Pitney Bowes to forward their item from the US to them.  It's time that Pitney Bowes started earning that money.  The buyer has nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying.

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

Couldn't have said it better.   🙂  

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

Thanks, Vivian.

One further point.  The item is being returned to the sender, which is Pitney Bowes.  As AFAntiques suggested earlier, it's not likely going to make it back to the seller, as the seller has already been paid for the item.

Pitney Bowes will likely dispose of the item (i.e. sell it off) if it's not claimed.

Message 48 of 69
latest reply

Yes, that's it exactly.  If the item never does arrive, CP would have sent it back to Kentucky, not the seller.  The GSP does not mail items back to sellers, as we have seen from previous threads and posts.  The best thing for the OP, as you have pointed out is to contact P-B.  No one has ever come away angry at them for having done so, not yet at least.  🙂 

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Yes, that's it exactly.  If the item never does arrive, CP would have sent it back to Kentucky, not the seller.  The GSP does not mail items back to sellers,

Of course the case in the OP is unique because it involves an incorrect mailing address, and it's not clear where en route the parcel was stopped.

In any case, that's not true.  

In the past my GSP items have had return addresses in Toronto, not Kentucky.   I'm currently waiting for several GSP items so I'll double check to see if the seller's address also appears on the label.

I do know that when I've had GSP returns that I've been required to return directly back to the seller even when the item arrived damaged.

Unlike other returns, the GSP provides return labels, but those returns for damaged and/or SNAD cases are to the seller, not a GSP hub in Canada or the States.  

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Yes, that's it exactly.  If the item never does arrive, CP would have sent it back to Kentucky, not the seller.  The GSP does not mail items back to sellers, as we have seen from previous threads and posts.  The best thing for the OP, as you have pointed out is to contact P-B.  No one has ever come away angry at them for having done so, not yet at least.  🙂 

I thought GSP items entered Canada as part of a freight shipment and then were mailed from within Canada. So it would be returned by Canada Post to the Canadian point of mailing used by Pitney Bowes, not to Kentucky, since it never came from Kentucky by USPS. Eventually it would be returned to Kentucky GSP centre probably as part of another freight shipment of returned items.

Edit after posting. I see that sylvieb posted the same thoughts on the items being returned within Canada.

Message 51 of 69
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Poco, I'm on my phone right now so perhaps you or someone else can double-check me on this. My recollection is that the tracking number the OP provided is a USPS tracking code for a "small packet". I'm thinking this particular item may have been shipped through a mail consolidator.

In any event, it doesn't matter much if the item goes back to Kentucky or to Mississauga. The point is, the seller is unlikely going to see it again and if the OP would rather receive the item than get a refund, Pitney Bowes should be contacted as Pitney Bowes is now responsible for the item.
Message 52 of 69
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
................., the seller is unlikely going to see it again 

Except in a few isolated cases, why would the people at P.B. request that items be returned to their hubs rather than directly back to sellers?
Have you ever had to return a GSP item?
I have, and in every case I was issued a return shipping label which was addressed to the seller.   Never to P.B.

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I think the difference here, Sylvie, is that your returns involved the seller giving you a refund, am I right?

If the seller has no reason to give a refund because Pitney Bowes or its agents messed up, there's no reason for the seller to get the item back and keep the money from the sale.
Message 54 of 69
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

In any event, it doesn't matter much if the item goes back to Kentucky or to Mississauga. The point is, the seller is unlikely going to see it again and if the OP would rather receive the item than get a refund, Pitney Bowes should be contacted as Pitney Bowes is now responsible for the item.

Again:  that's incorrect.

There was some question regarding where a GSP item would be returned to.

I just received a GSP item and the only return address on the label is the seller's address.

In the past some items had the address of the Canadian hub as a return address, but as I thought they'd corrected that issue some time ago.

It follows that the item in question in this thread would be returned to the seller and not a GSP depot.

Clearly:  contacting P.B.s about issues with transactions is pointless and probably not even possible.

The place to start is with the seller and from there PP if the seller offers no resolution.  Never P.B. and or the folks at a GSP hub.

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

The place to start is with the seller and from there PP if the seller offers no resolution.  Never P.B. and or the folks at a GSP hub.

Why contact the seller for a resolution?  The seller has been relieved of responsibility for the item by Pitney Bowes.  That's why the program is attractive to some sellers:  they don't have to take responsibility for the item's delivery once it reaches Kentucky.

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

Why contact the seller for a resolution?  The seller has been relieved of responsibility for the item by Pitney Bowes.  That's why the program is attractive to some sellers:  they don't have to take responsibility for the item's delivery once it reaches Kentucky.

marnotom!, This type of exchange makes me cringe, but what you just posted is obviously and absolutely not true.

Many, but not all of the seller's eBay ratings are protected by the GSP.  That's one reason sellers like it.

However, the GSP doesn't absolve sellers of responsibility for the items they sell and clearly they are still responsible for their listings. In addition, as I've stated numerous times, contrary to what you've been posting returns are addressed to sellers, not the GSP.

Where do you get the idea that when an item is shipped via the GSP that the seller's responsibility ends once the item reaches Kentucky?  You're saying that sellers can sell garbage if they ship via the GSP.

Does that really make sense to you?  

Message 58 of 69
latest reply

It did occur to me that we're speaking about two different sets of circumstances here, but you chose not to answer my question about this earlier.

I'm speaking strictly of the seller's responsibility for safe delivery of the item being relieved by the Global Shipping Program, since this is what the subject of this thread is about.  I do make reference to delivery in my previous post.

The situations to which you're referring seem to be based more in your experiences in having to return an item to a seller as the item is not as described.  While your information and experiences are somewhat useful, the OP's situation has nothing to do with a return by the buyer.  The OP's situation is about an item that was not delivered to them for whatever reason.

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I'm speaking strictly of the seller's responsibility for safe delivery of the item being relieved by the Global Shipping Program, ...........

Yet, that's not what you've been posting on a regular basis here and in other threads and boards.

You've posted that sellers using the GSP have been paid and after that the GSP is responsible for refunds, tracking, and other issues which may arise.

Any attempt to point out how illogical that is is met with extreme resistance from you /&/ afantiques.

Message 60 of 69
latest reply