Item still at customs in Mississauga since April, 13/23

Is anyone else having an issue with there item being stuck in customs for review without any progress?

I find this unusual.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

marnotom!
Community Member
There are several posts like yours on these discussion boards. The posters who follow up usually find out that the item was likely on the move and there was no tracking information to support it. The tracking catches up shortly before the item’s delivery.

Having said that, nothing for two weeks after the item making it to Mississauga is a bit concerning. What’s the last estimated delivery date for this item? Was it handled by the old Global Shipping Program (GSP) or the newer eBay International Shipping (eIS) service?
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It was sent by Ebay International Standard.  The final estimated date for delivery from Ebay is May 15/23.  I have purchased many items on Ebay sent the same way and have never encountered this kind of delay.  I am also wondering if it is not delivered by the 15th of May and shows it is in customs for review, would I still qualify for a refund through Ebay?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yes.

The pupose of tracking shipments is to protect the seller against unwarranted claims of non-delivery.

Tracking is not more secure, does not prevent damage in transit, nor does it speed up movement.

But if the item does not arrive by the estimated May 15, you have 30 days to open an ItemNot Received dispute and if the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the item shows up after that, and most "lost" items are delayed, you have a different conundrum.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thank you!    If I have to open a case, I hope that the seller is not penalized for the non delivery of my item. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

They will be penalized.

They may not be at fault, but the seller has the responsibility to choose a delivery method that is prompt and secure.

Arriving late means their employee/subcontractor (the postal system) was not a good choice.

The Seller is responsible to the Buyer  who paid for delivery.

The carrier is responsible to the Seller who paid for delivery from the money the Buyer paid.

Grownups accept responsiblity even when it is not their fault.

harry-truman-buck-stops-here-96816088-fotosearch-getty-resized.jpg

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I am going through the exact same thing now, almost the exact same dates. I get nowhere with Ebay to try to find it but the seller managed to find out my stuff is still at customs since the 23 of April (we are the 15th of May now).

I have absolutely no idea what to do with this, I want the part not a reimbursement. For now I am waiting for the seller to find it. I hate to complain because already lots of Americans don't want to deal with Canadians,  for these "government custom" reasons,  but myself as an antique car restorer, I have no choice but to use Ebay. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

They will be penalized.

They may not be at fault, but the seller has the responsibility to choose a delivery method that is prompt and secure.

Arriving late means their employee/subcontractor (the postal system) was not a good choice.

The Seller is responsible to the Buyer  who paid for delivery.

The carrier is responsible to the Seller who paid for delivery from the money the Buyer paid.

Grownups accept responsiblity even when it is not their fault.

harry-truman-buck-stops-here-96816088-fotosearch-getty-resized.jpg

@concerned4all 

@femmefan1946 

@mgeneration 

I wonder if US sellers will be held accountable for using the new eIS system(service) if it is not truly reliable? Or would the blame fall back on eBay? 

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@mgeneration wrote:

I am going through the exact same thing now, almost the exact same dates. I get nowhere with Ebay to try to find it but the seller managed to find out my stuff is still at customs since the 23 of April (we are the 15th of May now).

I have absolutely no idea what to do with this, I want the part not a reimbursement. For now I am waiting for the seller to find it. I hate to complain because already lots of Americans don't want to deal with Canadians,  for these "government custom" reasons,  but myself as an antique car restorer, I have no choice but to use Ebay. 

Hi @mgeneration.  If we knew what shipping service the seller used to get the part to you, we'd probably be able to give you better advice.  If the last estimated date of delivery has passed and no more than thirty days have passed by that date, you'd be eligible for a refund through eBay's Money Back Guarantee program.  Depending on what shipping service the seller used, the refund would either come out of the seller's pocket or from the shipping service.

Just because you receive a refund doesn't necessarily mean "game over," though.  The item could well still arrive after your refund is issued.

You might want to check the tracking of your item on the Parcelsapp site.  Quite often it's a lot more detailed than anything eBay is able to provide.

Having said all that, I see that @concerned4all left feedback for a seller recently that noted that it took 33 days for their item to reach them, so if that feedback is about the item about which she posted here, there was a late but happy ending to that story.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the reply  marnotom!

Just to be clear, I spoke with an Ebay agent on my issue - he had all the info in front of him, he even put me on hold to ask a supervisor if there was a better way to check tracking. He basically said its somewhere in the shipping hub but they don't know where. It was the seller that communicated to me that  it was at customs but the tracking does not support that claim. I came here to see if other people are having issues like mine and I fell on this posting (of many) that corresponded to my exact dates.

Blows my mind that in this day and age, big business  can listen to my conversations,  communicate with thousands of vendors and social media platforms to sell me stuff but can't find a computerized  tracking position in their own company.  I am trying to stay positive on this situation.  33 days to receive a purchase is not a success story. cheers

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

One reason for problems at CBSA is that senders give a poor description of contents.

Another reason to set up Titles (which are used as description of contents on eBay purchased shipping labels) to say what the item is before going into adspeak detail.

Which will be stopped at customs?

Vintage NIB green *L*O*O*K*  RARE 12" like Barbie

Or 12" fashion doll vintage green dress in original box

That the second also is more attractive to customers on phones is a bonus.

This can also lead to carefully packed boxes being opened and repacked quickly.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@mgeneration wrote:

Blows my mind that in this day and age, big business  can listen to my conversations,  communicate with thousands of vendors and social media platforms to sell me stuff but can't find a computerized  tracking position in their own company.  I am trying to stay positive on this situation.  33 days to receive a purchase is not a success story.

The thing with tracking scans is that they only show where an item was last scanned.  They're not like a GPS-based system that will show where it is at any particular moment.

I've had directly-mailed items (parcels and letters) take a month to reach me, so while you may not be looking at something that fits your definition of a "success story," it's also not something exclusive to whatever service was used to ship your part.

However, if that part was sent through the new eBay International Shipping program, it may turn out that this item is considered "restricted" by the program:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Not just eBay purchases that are having issues in Mississauga.  Myparcel has been stuck there since June 4th.  Disturbing.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply