Listed as free shipping but shipping being charged...

I won 4 items with free shipping clearly indicated. Now when I go to pay there are shipping charges amounting to a multiple of the purchase price.

I sent the seller a message but now notice feedback complaining of the same issue with no reply from the seller. What is the proper way for me to proceed and register a complaint if I do not hear back?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

One item is:

I am being asked for $4.00 extra shipping on each item.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

If the listing is deceptive you do not have to pay. Maybe contact the seller one more time and explain the situation, but don't pay if you feel you are getting scammed. If it gets nasty contact Ebay support and explain the problem, though you might be on the phone for a while with someone who uses English as a second language. Good luck!

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

"No exact matches found" when using the item number you posted.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Unfortunately there is no way for you or eBay to force the seller to change the invoice back to free shipping but if they open an unpaid item claim you should be able to phone ebay to remove the unpaid item strikes.

If there is a report seller link on the arrow drop down next to the purchase or a link when you go to leave feedback, please report the seller as sellers like this affect the reputation of all eBay sellers.  You should also leave appropriate feedback.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:
"No exact matches found" when using the item number you posted.

You have to go to sold items to see the listing.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
This seller’s negative feedback has practically doubled in the past month and they’re now sitting at 94.something percent.

Judging by what others have claimed in their feedback to this seller and your experiences thus far, I’d say cut your losses and bail from this sale. As the seller can’t leave negative feedback for you, you can either try contacting eBay CS now or wait to see if the seller tries throwing you under the bus if they try getting their fees back. At that point you can make your case to eBay with the communication you have on file.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

There is a possibility that not paying would lead to Unpaid Item Disputes on the transactions.

But given that the seller is acting in a very sketchy manner, I sincerely doubt he would want to draw eBay's attention.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@muscoviteman wrote:
One item is:

Not sure how the Seller is managing to charge you extra. Perhaps because of combined shipping? tyler@ebay 

You won the auction for $1 us -- and it does clearly indicate free shipping to Canada.

All the recent negatives relate to shipping overcharges.

Cost to use letterpost to send from India to Canada would be around 85 cents Canadian.

One does have to wonder about a Seller that starts an auction at 1 cent AND also promises free shipping worldwide. 

Easiest would be tell the Seller to cancel your order if they are not not going to make good on their shipping promise.  Do not pay if they do not send a corrected invoice.  While it is easy to use PayPal to send money to India, getting a refund out of India via PayPal is difficult (because of India government banking regulations).

-..-

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@muscoviteman wrote:
One item is:

Not sure how the Seller is managing to charge you extra. Perhaps because of combined shipping? tyler@ebay 

You won the auction for $1 us -- and it does clearly indicate free shipping to Canada.

All the recent negatives relate to shipping overcharges.

Cost to use letterpost to send from India to Canada would be around 85 cents Canadian.

One does have to wonder about a Seller that starts an auction at 1 cent AND also promises free shipping worldwide. 

Easiest would be tell the Seller to cancel your order if they are not not going to make good on their shipping promise.  Do not pay if they do not send a corrected invoice.  While it is easy to use PayPal to send money to India, getting a refund out of India via PayPal is difficult (because of India government banking regulations).

-..-

Hi @ypdc_dennis - it sounds like the seller is proactively sending an invoice after the auction ends and inputting a shipping cost after the fact. 

This practice is not something I would ever advise someone to do, and @muscoviteman definitely does not need to pay that amount. However, we cannot force the seller to provide the items at the price point they agreed to. They have two choices:

1. Pay the seller's specified amount and leave appropriate feedback when the items arrive. 

2. Do not pay the altered amount and contact Customer Support in the event that an Unpaid Item Case is opened against you. They can review and remove it from your records. 

I have reported the selling account involved for review as well. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

"1. Pay the seller's specified amount and leave appropriate feedback when the items arrive. "

I have no option to pay anything but the amount invoiced.

"I have reported the selling account involved for review as well. "

Good...this sort of thing would chase away a new buyer for good. Not getting the items is  no big deal but I thought it should e reported and could find nowhere to do so. 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

are you buying from asian overseas seller's??

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I have purchased many items both domestic and of Asian origin with few issues.

Seller never replied but opened an unpaid item case against me. I phone eBay and was told nothing could be done about the case until it closes but that he would forward the account info to the people who look at these things.

We'll see...the negatives keep piling up. Allowing this to keep going on is good way to chase away first time buyers forever.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Seller never replied but opened an unpaid item case against me.

That's unusual. Scammers don't do that, because they don't want to attract eBay's attention.

At a guess, this is the kind of guy who makes his own rules instead of following the system, which forbids sellers from raising shipping costs after the sale.

He isn't a scammer, at least not in his own mind.

He'll learn.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Given the sudden spike in negative feedback for this account, I’m going to guess that a less savvy, less experienced individual took over the business from the original seller associated with the account.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Or the good feedback is from a year or so back and the abandoned account has bee hijacked by a scammer.

Although again, scammers try to stay away from eBay's Resolution Centre.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

The sad thing is that eBay has been informed of this situation. Both Tyler and the eBay rep I talked to are supposed to have reported it.

Yet it continues...

Seller has many more items closing. How many new buyers will bid, win, leave and never return to eBay?

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@muscoviteman wrote:

The sad thing is that eBay has been informed of this situation. Both Tyler and the eBay rep I talked to are supposed to have reported it.

Yet it continues...

Seller has many more items closing. How many new buyers will bid, win, leave and never return to eBay?

If you're the only buyer so far who has officially complained to eBay about this seller's practices, what sort of action do you feel is appropriate for eBay to take at this point?

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

eBay has seen the recent feedback and can see the invoices he is sending include improper shiping charges. It is tme to suspend his account.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Given what an excrement show the feedback system has turned into, I can see why eBay may be reluctant to suspend sellers on the basis of that, even if a pattern does seem to be developing.  Reports with supporting email for eBay's review are much more reliable.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply