Lost bid, no warning.

Can someone explain what just happened here.

I placed a bid on 2 items from 1 seller. When the auction ended I thought I won as neither item increased in price when the timer ran out but was confused as I didn't receive a notification. I looked under purchase and nothing was there so I went to didn't win under bids/offers and I lost both items.

There was no warning, no notification of incremental price increases via other bidders while the timer ran out. Nothing.

What gives?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Lost bid, no warning.

Can you give the item number for one of the auctions?

Item number is shown as part of the description when viewing on a computer

or by hitting "See details" on a handheld device

or looking at the link, the number should follow either /itm/ or /i/ -- an example:

www.ebay.ca/itm/224270226571 -- would be 224270226571

-..-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

It sounds like someone outbid you at the end of the auctions.

If a bid comes in in the last few seconds of the auction, there is often not enough time for outbid notices to propagate to other bidders in time to bid again.

You should always assume that there will be other bidders bidding against you. Many bids are placed towards the end of the auction. If your strategy relies on being able to counter late bids, it is time for you to get a new strategy. No one can guarantee getting the last bid; in many cases you may not be able to place a second bid at all, so make your first bid count: bid your maximum amount, once.

If you are interested in winning an item, your best course of action is likely to decide in advance the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item including any taxes or shipping, and then bid the appropriate amount once, as late in the auction as you are comfortable with. If the amount is a round number, consider adding a few cents to avoid a tie which would go to the earlier bidder. Bidding late ensures that other bidders have little time to react to your bid, or to bid you up and possibly discover your maximum bid amount and then retract (if a shill) or outbid you (if a competitor).

Because of the way eBay auctions work, there is no real benefit to bidding less than your maximum amount. Bidding less will not allow you to pay less -- except possibly a minimal amount in rare cases where you outbid the underbidder by less than a full increment and wind up winning; in that case bidding your maximum may result in paying one full increment above the underbidder's bid. But the downside of bidding less than your max is that a late bid can beat you and you can lose for an amount less that what you were actually willing to pay.

If you bid your true maximum and the bid goes through, the only way you can lose is if someone else is willing to pay more, and they actually place a higher bid before the auction ends, or if someone was willing to pay the same amount as you and they bid sooner than you did.

Newbies bid for a bargain, hoping to win; veterans bid to win, hoping for a bargain.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

Most bids arrive in the last few minutes of an auction.

And some sophisticated bidders place their bids early, but not with eBay. They use an electronic "sniping" service like esnipe.com which places the bid in less than the last second.

Your bid showed as high bid as long as there was no other "underbidder".

Once the time for that snipe bid came up and the bid was placed, the earlier/higher bid won.

Earlier because he may have placed the bid with his sniping service days ago.

But higher because it is the high bid not the first bid that wins.

This is also why many experienced buyers will tell you to "Bid once, bid your maximum " and often will  add "Bid late" which allows you to see if there is much competition.

By the way, even if the winning bid was only pennies more than yours, it could have been ten times what you bid, since the underbidder (you in this case) sets the winning price- a single increment higher than the underbidder's maximum bid.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

Lost bid, no warning.

Seems very likely it was a snipe. Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for reply
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

If you go to that listing  and click on the number of bids you will see that the winner bid just 8 seconds before the auction ended.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

I usually bid once just low, then I "snipe" in the last millisecond with my highest amount...

...I usually win!

Bid Notifications so last decade!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Lost bid, no warning.

mcrlmn
Community Member

You were outbid:

History.png

Just under 4 minutes.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply