Navigating thru ebay's maze: how to get ebay to "step in"?

tm_c628
Community Member

I read the info but there's no option whatsoever for ebay to "step in". 

In my situation the item is not as it as appeared to be and it's damaged. The seller says I must pay my own shipping but I read the seller is responsible for return shipping. To make matters confusing, I read I can purchase a shipping label??

I started the return process as directed by the info provided by ebay. I contacted the seller at the same time but I'm not getting anywhere. I see no option to contact ebay. I only see an option when to mark as the item being shipped or cancel the return.

This is all quite frustrating and worse than Aliexpress in my opinion. I just might contact my credit card company and dispute the charges which is far easier to do.  But before I do, I thought I would ask the ebay community for help?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you opened the return process with eBay, I think the seller has a few days to respond. You will have to check the email sent by eBay when you opened the return. It usually gives you timeframes as to what will happen...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

When you opened the return request, which reason for return did you check off?   If it was one if the choices that ebay considers not as described then eBay automatically provides a label IF both buyer and seller are in the US.  It’s a bit more complicated if one or both are in other countries.  Which country does the item have to be sent to?  

Did you receive something saying that the seller couldn’t provide a label and to work with the seller on getting one? (Or something similar)   That basically means that you should let the seller know how much a label with tracking will cost and they are supposed to send you the money through PayPal.  If  they refuse to do so, I’m not sure if the eBay step in option appears after a few days or not but one of the easier ways to contact them is by sending a message on Facebook or Twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/eBay

https://twitter.com/askebay

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

That basically means that you should let the seller know how much a label with tracking will cost and they are supposed to send

This may be useful to learn the cost of TRACKED shipping from the US to Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

In addition to the PP Send Money service, which is covered by PP's Buyer Protection by the way,  if your seller is in the USA he can also buy a Canada Post label through Shippo.com, which is partnered with eBayCanada, and may also be in the USA. Shippo is also active in other countries.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. The seller is in China. I'm in Canada. I received a reminder email from eBay telling me to send back the item. I click on the status and it also says:

You opened this return request on July 07, 2020. Once the seller accepts your request, you should ship the item back to them within 5 business days. If you use an eBay returns label, tracking will be added to the package automatically. If you don't use an eBay label, you'll need to add tracking details yourself. You can add tracking information and find more information about this request by selecting View return details.

This wasn't easy to find, but of course it's been longer than 5 business days. And there's no option listed to contact eBay when the seller is remaining silent.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The issue here is the seller is remaining silent and no way listed how to contact eBay to "step-in". All one can do is "appeal" their decision (as a seller) and send eBay a message. No help or assistance for the buyer at all. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately not. That didn't happen. I received a reminder email to send the package but no way to ask eBay to step in. There must be a mechanism to bypass this nonesense and ask eBay to step in without going through the maze. One suggestion was contacting eBay by Facebook, but not everyone is using FB now because of their lack of privacy and more. 

@lady.stark wrote:

If you opened the return process with eBay, I think the seller has a few days to respond. You will have to check the email sent by eBay when you opened the return. It usually gives you timeframes as to what will happen...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Are you saying  the eBay Dispute is now closed?

If so, go to Paypal and open a Dispute in their Resolution Centre.

You have 180 days from PAYMENT to do this.

Unfortunately the tradeoff for the longer dispute period is that PP insists that the Buyer return the unwanted item to the seller, with tracking.

And international tracked shipping is expensive.

When the tracking shows delivery, and keep an eye on the tracking information, you will be refunded.

But don't ever expect anyone or anything to do this for you. Which is a life lesson that does not only apply to eBay or Paypal.

You can also phone the 1-800 number on the back of the credit card you use to back your PP account and ask about a chargeback.

If you open a PP dispute, eBay will no longer entertain an eBay dispute.

If you open a chargeback, neither eBay nor PP will entertain a later dispute.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply