Need advice on sales tax

sidneypenguins87
Community Member

Hi,

Bought from a seller in Nova Scotia while I am living in Quebec.  He wants to charge me Qc sales tax !  Nowhere on his listing he mention he charges tax.  Can he do this ?  I could understand that he charged me GST (5%) from Canada but Qc sales tax while in another province ?  Can someone help me with this ?  Thanks !

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Need advice on sales tax

Is this for Blackberry EM1 E-M1 Battery Curve 9350 9360 9370

Click on the shipping and payment button and you will see the following'

Seller charges sales tax in multiple provinces.

Click on the multiple provinces and you will see what is charged for each province.

Sales tax is charged for the province of the buyer.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes.

If he is registered to remit sales taxes, he can charge them. His GST number should be on the invoice, by the way.

With HST, if the seller's province has HST, he is required to remit HST from all provinces where he sells that also have HST.

Note that this is "remit", he doesn't have to add the tax to your invoice, just to "render unto Caesar". Many registered sellers fold the HST into their asking price to give a level playing ground to Canadian, American, and overseas customers.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Seller charges Quebec QST but not GST ? Those items are all GST taxable.

He practically charges applicable PST for all provinces and for PEI he charges incorrect nominal 15% instead of effective 15.5%.

The only way seller can legally charge provincial sales tax is they are registered with that province Ministry of Finance. Why would anyone without physical presence in the destination province voluntarily do that is beyond comprehension. He is either new and misinformed or he is padding the prices and calling it a sales tax.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I live in Manitoba.

I charge GST for sales and postage to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec  and Prince Edward Island.... and also Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut

Also charge PST for Manitoba, and Manitoba only.

I charge HST for

British Columbia at 12 %

Ontario , New Brunswick and Newfoundland at 13 %

Nova Scotia at 15 %

-----------------------------------------------------

Changes to come as of April 1, 2013

British Columbia goes back to GST  at 5 %

Prince Edward Island starts with an HST of 14 %

----------------------------------------------------

Seller from Nova Scotia  does not appear to understand the GST/HST rules.

In order to collect GST/HST seller's GST number must be on all invoices.

You can ask  seller for his GST number,  indicating that you need this to claim an input tax credit.

If a GST/HST is not provided then  there is a possibility that seller is collecting taxes without the proper registration.

Seller's monthly record on eBay would be an indicator of what the total sales would be for one year.

If sales plus postage is over $30,000 worldwide annual  sales, seller must register for GST/HST...  or seller finds it advantageous to register  and get a refund of GST/HST   even if sales are less than $30,000

----------------------------------------------------------

When I ship to Quebec  I do not charge Province PST, only GST = 5 %

------------------------------------------------------------

There are special rules for some inventory

I sell books....books are exempt from the provincial component of HST ... such that for HST provinces the HST rate is 5 %...  Postage is rated at full HST value.

With free shipping on books,  then the tax on the total cost is HST = 5 % for HST provinces

Things can get complicated

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

"Can he do this ?"

No.  The seller is worng.

From NS to QC he can only charge 5% GST.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Your breaking the law..typical **bleep**ing scammer. You are only allowed to charge sales tax within your province..WITH A REGISTERED BUSINESS NUMBER. You are breaking the law if you do anything different. On new items only...no tax on used goods or second hand.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Protect yourself....this is a scam & against the law!!! FRAUD. Request to see their Registered business number & perform a search.

A seller has to have a registered business number with the province that he lives. Since Revenue Canada is Federal...laws apply to all provinces.

IE- Ontario Sellers store or business name must be registered . Business number must then be registered to collect GST/HST ...for new items only ..not second hand goods.

Here it is right from Canada Revenue pages.

How to confirm a GST/HST account number

Use the GST/HST Registry to confirm that the business charging you GST/HST is registered. This will help ensure that your claims for input tax credits only include GST/HST charged by someone who is registered for GST/HST.

To confirm a QST number, go to Revenu Québec.

What you need to know before using the GST/HST Registry

The GST/HST Registry is a free service. To use it, you need all of this information:

GST/HST account number

Enter only the first nine digits of the GST/HST account number. Do not include letters.

A supplier must include the GST/HST account number on receipts, invoices, contracts, or other business papers it gives out when it supplies taxable goods or services of $30 or more.

If you can't find the GST/HST account number, contact your supplier. When your supplier does not provide their GST/HST account number, call the Canada Revenue Agency's Business enquiries line at 1-800-959-5525 to confirm it is registered.

Business name

This is a supplier's legal, operating, or trading name, displayed on an invoice or posted on a sign at the place of business.

If you do not get any results using the name displayed, contact the business owner to find out the exact name they gave to the Canada Revenue Agency.

Transaction date

The transaction date is the date on the receipt, invoice, contract or other business paper.

What to do after confirming the GST/HST account number

Print the Search Details screen to make sure you claim input tax credits only for GST/HST charged by suppliers who are registered.

Start a GST/HST Registry search

Search now

If you are having trouble using the GST/HST Registry, call the Canada Revenue Agency's Business enquiries line at 1-800-959-5525.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2013.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

As stamps mentioned you are replying to a 4 year old thread but you need to check your facts before accusing someone of being a scammer.

Sellers who are registered to collect gst are required by revenue Canada to submit gst and hst for taxable sales across canada, not just in their own province.  They can collect pst only in their own province but can collect gst and hst elsewhere.

Used goods are not exempt from being charged taxes. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply