New Nafta

After the new Nafta was ratified by the US ,Mexico and Canada why are we still paying for duties from the US here in Canada?Every item i buy or look at has duty on the Global shipping program.Doesn't seem to matter if it is $17 or $1700  still charges exist

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

New Nafta

mcrlmn
Community Member

The USMCA (United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement - 'NAFTA 2.0') goes into effect 90 days after ratification by each country.

I believe the USMCA is scheduled to come into effect on July 1, 2020.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

New Nafta

mcrlmn
Community Member

The USMCA (United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement - 'NAFTA 2.0') goes into effect 90 days after ratification by each country.

I believe the USMCA is scheduled to come into effect on July 1, 2020.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

New Nafta

Even under the old NAFTA we paid duty on items purchased from the USA, which were not made in the USA (or Mexico),

However, NAFTA is only one of over 150 Free Trade agreements Canada is part of, including CETA with the European Union and the new TPP with 12 Pacific Rim countries including Chile,Australia, Vietnam and Japan.

Canada does not have a free trade agreement with China, so if you buy Chinese made goods from an American (or French or Malaysian) supplier, you will still pay duty.

Duty or not, you will pay sales taxes on the import. And any fees the shipper charges for wrangling your purchase across the border. These range from ~$5 for GSP shipments and $9.95 for Canada Post to $25 and up for couriers like UPS.

The duty free allowance under the new NAFTA rises from $20Cdn (~$15US) to $140Cdn comes into effect only on July I, 2020. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply