Non-US Paypal accounts - don't get caught!

ciny2k
Community Member

I've already posted in the GSP questions thread, but since I'll bet most people aren't checking that anymore, I'll start another thread  - to warn people not to get stuck in the same trap I did!

If you haven't already noticed, there's quite a few US sellers who have *no idea* that ebay.com has enrolled them in the GSP. Most times, that's not an issue. Although it is kind of amusing to have to explain "Canada, not Kentucky!" simply because the item goes to KY before rerouted up north.

The big problem arises when a seller doesn't accept non-US Paypal. You've been lead to believe all is well, seeing that the item is shipped via the GSP. Bid, win, pay - right? Nope! 

I just got off the phone with the resolution center, after my 2 messages to the seller went unanswered. I don't want an unpaid item strike, so I though I'd better get proactive before the poop hit the fan. What a pita!

Am I going to have to message every seller that has the GSP in their listing, to assure myself that the transaction can be completed? Yup, I guess I will, since this is incredibly frustrating & time consuming. Giant pita. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

One reason that US sellers enroll in the GSP is that they are totally paranoid about 'foreign' buyers.

Including buyers in Hawai'i and Puerto Rico.

So it's no surprise that they have Blocked bidders with non-US PP accounts.

FWIW, they do pay a higher rate for non-US payments than the usual 30 cents +2.9%. I think it's 4.4% of the payment instead.

Another, is that many sellers still do not realize they were enrolled in the program by default when they joined eBay. It is a measure of how large the US economy is,and how unimportant the rest of the world is to US sellers, that yours may have been the first non-US purchase the seller has had since he started selling on eBay.

Am I going to have to message every seller that has the GSP in their listing, to assure myself that the transaction can be completed?

Unless a seller has a specific price under Shipping and Handling for Canada, this is probably wise.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

"So it's no surprise that they have Blocked bidders with non-US PP accounts."

I would've preferred to have my bid blocked, and avoided all this nonsense. 

Maybe the seller will answer my messages eventually? I'll send him all my rolled US coins, since the banks won't accept it anymore. That should make him happy. Can't argue with cold, hard cash. 🙂 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Smiley LOL

Except-- then you don't have any proof of payment. Smiley Sad

There are American sellers who won't ship to Hawai'i (understandable, it's in Africa, isn't it?) or to APO addresses (which are used by American troops and are considered mainland USA addresses).

Paranoia is part of the oath of allegiance down there, I think.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply