Outright Fraud by a Seller - Why is there no option for this? Why can't I contact a real person?

I purchased an item whose dimensions and weight are:

• Width 5.9 in
  • Depth 7.9 in
  • Height 3.4 in
  • Weight 7.92 lbs

What was shipped to me is a standard sized (8x 11 x 1 , less than a pound ?) yellow envelope that clearly is not the item that I ordered.  This is after a lengthy series of messages back and forth regarding repeated delays for the seller to ship the item I purchased - 11 business days.

Why is there no option in eBay for me to do something about this and get my money back? Or an option to contact eBay directly rather than negotiate their menu system?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Outright Fraud by a Seller - Why is there no option for this? Why can't I contact a real person?

You purchased. You paid.

The seller delayed shipment for 11 days.

• Sellers can set how long it takes them to ship. Most try to ship within 24-48 hours (not counting weekends) but (particularly  for custom made items) may take longer.

Have you received the item? Was it what you ordered?

• It sounds as if you have since you mention an envelope. But you don't mention the contents.
  • There is a scam where an expensive item like a watch seems to be offered but close reading shows that what is being sold, and shipped, is a picture or an advertisement.

You are covered in three ways.

First is eBay's Buyer Protection.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page. It is automated and very efficient.

You have 30 days from delivery (or last estimated date for delivery) to open a Dispute.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller. You've already done that from what you say.

All you want from a seller is the date of shipping, the service used and a tracking number OR a full refund.

Absent those, ask eBay to step in (still automated) and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery, you will be refunded.

If you have received something that is Not As Described, the seller will be required to send you return postage.

The return MUST be tracked.

When the tracking shows the seller has the unwanted item back, you will be refunded.

If the eBay deadline for a Dispute has passed you can go to your Paypal account.

PP allows 180 days from payment for a Dispute.

The system is basicallythe same, but you will be required to return the unwanted item on your own dime and with tracking. Again, when the tracking shows the seller has the unwanted item back, you will be refunded.

And if you backed your PP account with a credit card, your third line of defence is the card's chargeback system.

EBay also has a customer service line at the top of this page under Help and Contact. Avoid them. This sounds, from what little you have told us, to be straightforward and the automated system is fast and efficient.

The customer service clerks are sometimes helpful, but some have problems with concepts like "Canada" and "cross-border shopping".

Please don't tell us the Global Shipping Program is involved.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And if the seller doesn't send you Return Postage (for a Not As Described eBay Claim) you win the case and you will be refunded.

If the seller refuses to refund you, eBay/Paypal will refund you, and go after him for their money.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I'm not sure I understand. 

You have the item which is not correct in your hands, right?

Open an Item Not as Described claim. This will make necessary a Return and the seller will have to give you money to cover postage to send it back, if they cannot directly provide a Return postage label. Or your money back. This is no doubt where the story ends, you get your money back.

As to the item you bought, it may not exist. 

Don't accept an offer of a replacement. That is a scam more often that not. Unless you have an existing, positive relationship with the seller AND the item can be sent to you WITH TRACKING within about five business days, this is not a valid option to consider. 

Nothing can compel a dishonest person to be honest. You may be holding out hope for something that never existed: some great item at an unbelievable price. What did the seller's feedback say? 

Get your money back, and try again with another seller. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Okay. So, um. Feedback. One of the two sellers who recently left feedback for you has a feedback rating itself of 96 per cent. What many buyers don't realize is that anything lower than about 99.3 per cent feedback is, actually, terrible feedback. While feedback is based on a percentage and, of course, a megaseller might have a feedback rating of 98 per cent and still serve 8763 happy customers in a month, there ARE megasellers out there that have managed to maintain 100 per cent satisfied customers. 

Look for better from your sellers of the future. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply