Package has cleared customs, but then went DEAD....

courtnedirk1
Community Member
I recently ordered a cheer uniform from very reputable seller on eBay. I have had “semi-reasonable “ tracking for this parcel..but here’s the rub: the parcel left the PB Erlanger Ky facility and I have received a “ cleared customs” notification. The parcel apparently is being shipped by Intelcom, but intelcom has no new info on this particular parcel. Called PB, they were super helpful but can’t provide any additional info on tracking. I ordered and payed for the item on January 20 2021. There’s been no more movement on it since the 28 of this month ( cleared customs) the package originally weighed 1.25kgs and now weighs 0.88lbs, kinda worried someone’s pilfered part of my parcel. The external tracking widget pb provided goes to purilator.... does not register. Has anyone had a parcel get stuck at the “Cleared customs” stage and then go dark? Cheers,
Courtney
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mcrlmn
Community Member

January 29th was only 3 days ago.

I've not seen updates for up to 13 days.

The next update will probably read, "In Transit with Destination Carrier."

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

marnotom!
Community Member

There have been several reports of the tracking for GSP-forwarded items not seeing any tracking information between customs and a shipping hub near the buyer's location, but I think those have been connected to items that were being handled by Canada Post.  I also vaguely a more recent post where there seemed to be some sort of carrier ambiguity between Purolator and another carrier.

I used to be a bigger tracking geek than I am now; I used to obsessively visit the tracking sites associated with all my trackable shipments once, sometimes twice daily.  Eventually, I realized that knowing where my item was last scanned wasn't really of much benefit to me.  It didn't make the item arrive any more quickly and I still had no control over when it was actually going to show up at my doorstep.  I came to the conclusion that the only proof of delivery that mattered was having the item in my hands.

You don't give any indication of the last estimated date of delivery for this item, but I wouldn't really be worrying too much about your item until that date has past.  (Maybe a week past that date to allow for COVID-related delays.)  That's when tracking research is more beneficial, as well as looking into why there's a discrepancy in the shipping weight of your item.  (On that subject, it could be a matter of the seller getting it wrong when they sent it off.  I do find it weird that the weight is originally expressed in kilograms, as those Yanks don't use the metric system all that extensively.)

Anyway, long story short, you're not the only one who's had this happen, but it's probably better to focus on getting your item within the timeframe suggested on the listing page and in the condition stated in the listing.  We buyers have been brainwashed into thinking that tracking is some sort of great salvation when most of the time it's just a cause of stress.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Based on my brothers comments, his last few parcels through GSP disappeared for about a week or so before getting any more tracking (this is an improvement from 3-4 weeks around the Xmas holidays).  Depending where in Canada you are, your time gap may vary (my brother is in the Waterloo Region west of Toronto).

Since your customs clearance was January 28, you may see some more tracking late this week.

-..-

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

January 29th was only 3 days ago.

I've not seen updates for up to 13 days.

The next update will probably read, "In Transit with Destination Carrier."

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Item paid Jan 20

Item reaches GSP plant in KY.... and is pre-cleared by customs Jan 28.

Have you been given a UPA number ? That is the new tracking number that GSP attaches to the item when it leaves their plant.

Most GSP items are sent to Canada Post's Gateway Terminal in Mississauga.

But...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-employee-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-amid-major-outbreak-...

There is a bit of a slowdown there due to 224 workers coming down with COVID and one dying.

What is the last estimated date that eBay gave you for delivery?

It's likely no sooner than Feb.3 - which is Wednesday. And may be later.

You can't do anything about delivery until then.

If the last day passes, you have 24 hrs before you can open a Not Received Dispute.

Then the seller, or in this case GSP, has 96 hours before eBay will force a refund.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I have had 2 shipments I made go "dead" for 2 weeks in Montreal.  1 was to the UK, the other to the US - it 2 weeks for an update showing it was being forwarded.  Then they were delivered within 2 days.   It is odd that they were delivered that quick after the tracking showed them leaving Montreal.  It looks like the tracking was slow in getting updated. 

That was just 2 of several shipments, and it seems pretty random.   They made it safe and sound, I suspect with the volumes and staff precautions for covid right now some things are not as smooth as usual. 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Yes I have a UPAAD number.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

2 weeks for an update showing it was being forwarded. Then they were delivered within 2 days. It is odd that they were delivered that quick after the tracking showed them leaving Montreal.

Tracking doesn't show where the parcel is.

It shows where it was at the time the tracking was read.

Your parcel was in Montreal and tracking noted. It went to the airport, but the location was not noted,  and waited for an airplane. It got on the airplane, but location was not noted. It arrived in the UK, and perhaps that day perhaps ten days later, tracking showed that it had been forwarded. It was delivered two days after the tracking number was read.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Hey! Wondering if you have any insights on whether the package gets shipped via Canada Post or purolator after it crosses the border in KY, USA, and if there’s a way to find out what the tracking number would be? My package is supposed to arrive today (but didn’t) and the last scan on EBay said it successfully crossed the border in KY on Jan 19th.. a bit worried as it’s a larger item!
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

syrenss
Community Member
Hey Courtney! I’m in the same boat, waiting for an item in Canada after tracking went dead in KY after ‘clearing customs’! Mine cleared customs Jan 19, and was supposed to be delivered today (but wasn’t). Keep me updated if you figure out how to track yours after the border and which carrier it’s with if you figure it out!! 🙂
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@syrenss wrote:

Hey! Wondering if you have any insights on whether the package gets shipped via Canada Post or purolator after it crosses the border in KY, USA, and if there’s a way to find out what the tracking number would be? My package is supposed to arrive today (but didn’t) and the last scan on EBay said it successfully crossed the border in KY on Jan 19th.. a bit worried as it’s a larger item!

Just for the record, Erlanger, KY is about four and a half hours from Windsor, Ontario and Kentucky doesn't hug the Canadian border.  😁  Items go through a customs pre-clearance process at the Global Shipping Center in Erlanger which supposedly expedites their progress when they do reach the border as part of a freight shipment.

My experience when I've purchased items that are forwarded through the Global Shipping Shipping Program is that I've received an email from eBay that contains a tracking code starting with "UPAA".  That code is supposed to be an "umbrella" or "universal" (pick whatever one you think the "U" stands for) tracking code that's supposed to pick up the tracking numbers for all the carriers that are handling GSP-forwarded items.  Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't, depending on how well these carriers are able to export their tracking information to Pitney Bowes, administrators of the GSP.

There are a couple of sites where one can enter the UPAA code and see what tracking information Pitney Bowes has received.  (Sometimes that information doesn't reach eBay, for whatever reason.)  The only difference I think there is between the two is the time zones used for the scans.  Enter your UPAA tracking code at either:

https://tracking.pb.com OR https://parceltracking.pb.com

Below the "progress meter" on the tracking page should be a link you can click on to track the item on the assigned Canadian carrier's website.

While it may be past the last expected business day for your item's delivery, I wouldn't get panicked yet.  Things have really gone sideways with deliveries between the US and Canada and delivery time estimates from eBay don't take COVID-related delays into consideration.  You say your item is large, which is good, because it's going to be harder to lose.  😁  I'd wait until the middle of next week or so before starting to make inquiries.  Good luck!

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

International mail goes to Toronto, not Windsor Ontario. As reports in news have stated Toronto Gateway plant has over 280 cases of COVID19 and climbing since January 1, 2021 Backlogs are being sent to feeder plants to elevate this backlog since no end is in sight for those workers. Pray for all of them - no one deserves to be sick or die from work. I don't mind my packages are late in light of this tragic workplace outbreak

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@katelinsklutter wrote:

International mail goes to Toronto, not Windsor Ontario. As reports in news have stated Toronto Gateway plant has over 280 cases of COVID19 and climbing since January 1, 2021 Backlogs are being sent to feeder plants to elevate this backlog since no end is in sight for those workers. Pray for all of them - no one deserves to be sick or die from work. I don't mind my packages are late in light of this tragic workplace outbreak

Yup, international mail goes to Canada Post's Gateway facility in Mississauga for customs processing and sorting, although items from the Far East tend to go through Richmond, British Columbia.  I was just pointing out to another poster that the Global Shipping Program's hub in Kentucky isn't a hop, skip and jump away from the Canadian border, and Windsor just happens to be a border town.

It is definitely unnerving the Gateway facility has been hit so drastically by COVID-19 and, like you, I hope that the outcome doesn't become any worse.  Patience definitely is a virtue right now and I hope other posters see and heed your advice.

Keep in mind, however, that @courtnedirk1's item doesn't appear to be being handled by the postal system, although it's likely subject to similar delays.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

It’s apparently being sent with Intelcom... called them and they said they received the shipment info/label(s) but the actual parcel in question is not in any of their warehouses. I live in Kelowna BC Canada
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Feb 4-7 2021
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@courtnedirk1 wrote:

It’s apparently being sent with Intelcom... called them and they said they received the shipment info/label(s) but the actual parcel in question is not in any of their warehouses. I live in Kelowna BC Canada

We're all Canadians here.  You're on the eBay Canada discussion boards.  You don't have to tell us where Kelowna is.  😀

I'm going to take a wild guess here and speculate that your item is in some sort of holding area because of a shipping backlog.  My advice to wait another week or so before checking the tracking again still stands.  At this point, it doesn't matter if it's in Kamloops, Kenora or Kugluktuk. I think the best course of action is just to see if a bit more time will work some magic on this.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@courtnedirk1 wrote:
Feb 4-7 2021

That's it.

Nothing else matters at this point.

If it hasn't arrived by Feb 08, contact the seller.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I found out that there’s a bit of a hike if your parcels being shipped with Intelcom… If you email them and want to complaint and say that you were not receiving tracking information, and that you will take your business elsewhere… They got back to me very quickly with a big apology and then guess what? My package mysteriously started moving again and now it says “in transit with destination carrier” totally unexpected and completely surprised… In a good way
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Good, but if it has not arrived by Wednesday? Friday? your choice , go to the Resolution Centre and open the Not Received Dispute.

Be sure to say that shipping was via the Global Shipping Program. They are insured against loss and delay in transit. They don't even argue.

You might also contact the seller and tell her about the Dispute but politely  note that she will not be involved with it.

In future, note the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar, and DON'T LOOK AT THE TRACKING.

Tracking is a Seller Protection. Watching it is obviously upsetting you.

Your Buyer Protection is eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

@courtnedirk1 wrote:
Feb 4-7 2021

That's it.

Nothing else matters at this point.

If it hasn't arrived by Feb 08, contact the seller.

There isn't much point in contacting the seller but they can open an item not received case. However, if it was me  I wouldn't open one so quickly because I know that delivery is taking longer these days.  As long as the buyer opens a claim within 30 days after the last estimated delivery date, they will get their money back.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply