Returns and MBG when item shipped by sea carrier

caro808
Community Member

Hello all,

Seeking information from ebay members on a particular issue here.

I purchased an item on april 14th from a shop in Australia, item was to be ship to Canada via regular shipping (air freight).

My expected delivery dates were from April 20th to May 6th. 

I know that there is some delay due to COVID 19 circumstances, but when I looked on the tracking information recently, I saw that my package was delayed as of may the 19th and to be eventually transfered to a sea carrier.

I've since opened a MBG claim, and the seller responded that I will eventually get my package and that there were delays due to the situation, blah, blah,...

It is the first time that I'm resorting to MBG protection on Ebay, and I'm trying to find out what is my best option.

Obviously, since the package will travel by sea, it could take a very long time to arrive.

In that scenario, and considering that the package will surely arrive after my last expected delivery date, can I still ask for a refund and  tell the seller that I will return or repay the package when I eventually receive it ?

Thanks for your input

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Since the seller promised Air and used Surface, he saved a bundle while making you wait longer than what you paid for.

Plague or no Plague.

Opening the Item Not Received dispute would be sensible, when that last estimated date for delivery passes.

Since the seller cannot prove delivery-- and acknowledges that it will not be delivered for a long time-- escalate the Dispute to a Claim and get your refund.

Eventually the parcel may* be delivered.

Then you go to your Paypal account, find the refund and using PP's Send Money service, refund at least the original selling price to the seller, whose PP address you have.

This is probably not required by eBay, but your karma will appreciate it.

BTW- you are also covered by PP against problems for 180 days from Payment. And by the chargeback policy of the credit card you back your PP account with.

*The reason I use "may" is that many non-Aussie sellers, often pretty sketchy use eBay Australia as a front address.

Switching the shipping service is also pretty sketchy.

It is quite possible that nothing has been sent, or whatever has been sent is not what you paid for.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Is it possible it was transferred to By Sea due to lack of flights? Wasn't there word of that happening with packages from China? In the past my packages to Austrailia were taking 2 to 3 weeks (International Air). Now it's closer to 4 to 5 weeks.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@reallynicestamps 

Is it possible it was transferred to By Sea due to lack of flights? Wasn't there word of that happening with packages from China? In the past my packages to Austrailia were taking 2 to 3 weeks (International Air). Now it's closer to 4 to 5 weeks.

-Lotz

Australia Post Economy international air is suspended, Standard is being diverted by sea depending on the country and flight availability. USPS is doing the same thing, as are many international postal operators. As a seller you'll have no idea whether or not your package will be diverted to sea shipment since that largely depends on destination and flight availability.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info, I'll go ahead with item not received.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Would anyone know what is the approximate shipping time when it's shipped via a sea carrier ?

For exemple, Australia to US

Are we talking weeks or months ? And any additional delays after that if the container gets stored for a few weeks at the receiving end (customs, treatment, etc.)

Thanks again !

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Australia Post:

To Canada: Express is suspended, Standard is going by sea (40-60 business days)

To USA: Express is 15-20 business days, Standard is 25-35 business days

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-u...

Australia Post also says that Canada’s postal operator is suspending all deliveries from Canada to Australia effective May 20. 

Which is not what Canada Post says.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

-..-

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info, very helpful !

Message 8 of 8
latest reply