Seller doesn't have the item in their possession?

I bought and paid the same day, on the 27th. Today, 30th, the item was still not marked as shipped, so I messaged the seller. Here's their answer:

Hello dear friend!
Thanks for your letter.
New batch of items will arrive soon. We will send the item as soon as possible and provide the tracking number.
Waiting for your reply.
thank you for understanding!

I've been on eBay for a long time, and it's the first time I was faced with a seller that doesn't have the item in their possession when I buy. I'm more confused than anything. What would you recommend I do?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller doesn't have the item in their possession?

@aristianawrote:

Momcqueen, the delivery date is Apr 26 - May 11. 

I could get it from someone else, but I used the 15% discount offered a couple of days ago. If I get it somewhere else, bye bye discount. As you said, I could wait and hope for the best.

I'm starting to realize this could be the first negative feedback I've ever left. 

If the delivery date is that far-off, you can afford to wait before asking for a cancellation. The order must be shipping from Asia, so if you don't have it by May 12, open an Item Not Received case. Until then, you will have to wait. You'd be waiting six weeks whether the seller had shipped it within three days or not.  

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Some sellers are Drop Shippers meaning they are the middle man for some other manufacturers. They don't have the items in their possesion but rely on the manufacturer for items. A lot of sellers from China & other countries do that.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The listing does say "Item In Stock And Ready Shipping!" so if you're right, the listing doesn't say the truth...
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

How badly do you need this item? If badly, ask for a cancellation and buy from another seller, hoping for better and faster service. If you can afford to wait, then wait.... but keep your eyes on the calendar. If the item has not arrived by your Estimated Date of Delivery, open an Item Not Received claim with the seller. What is your Estimated Date of Delivery right now?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You are right & you have every reason to complain if it says in stock & ready to ship. You can cancel the sale if you don't want to wait.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I've never cancelled something on eBay. I'm afraid it will reflect badly on my Feedback. 

Anyone could give me some pointers on how to do it properly? Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hello dear friend!
Thanks for your letter.

The seller , or the seller's supplier, is overseas, probably from the wording in China.

ask for a cancellation

Sensible advice, and keep in mind that refunds take a few seconds to process, if the seller has your transaction number quickly available.

and buy from another seller,

Because the dropshipper's supplier has dozens or hundreds of other suckers resellers, if one is out of stock they all are out of stock. The resellers don't actually know that until a sale is Disputed for non-deliverly.

Read the seller's feedback- click on the negative and neutral numbers for an overview. Check for patterns.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I could get it from someone else, but I used the 15% discount offered a couple of days ago. If I get it somewhere else, bye bye discount. As you said, I could wait and hope for the best.

I'm starting to realize this could be the first negative feedback I've ever left. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I've never cancelled something on eBay. I'm afraid it will reflect badly on my Feedback. 

Sellers cannot leave anything but positive Feedback.

And Feedback has no effect on anyone's eBay account, although some buyers do look at the percentage.

BTW- anything under 98% is bad FB and even 99% can be questionable.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@aristianawrote:

If the delivery date is that far-off, you can afford to wait before asking for a cancellation. The order must be shipping from Asia, so if you don't have it by May 12, open an Item Not Received case. Until then, you will have to wait. You'd be waiting six weeks whether the seller had shipped it within three days or not.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply