Seller selling Junk

Last May I bought  a 48v30ah lifepo4 battery from seller. It is a lithium based battery I intended to use with my ebike and I paid approximately $750 for battery and a charger.
 After 3 months I finally received it. It worked fine for 3 months at which time I let it set idle for 5 months over the winter months. This April I charged the battery However the battery would only run my ebike for 7 minutes. After checking the specs on the charger I found the I cut off charge voltage is 58v which I am told is to high for a 48v lifepo battery. After almost 2 weeks of trying to contact the seller they finally answered my email and insist that the battery will charge to 58v but when I measure it with a volt meter after charging I only read 48v. At any rate the battery should run a load (ebike) longer than 7 minutes so I suspect that some cells have been damaged by overcharging. The point is this battery should have continued to take a full charge longer than 3 months and the seller could or would not offer an explaination for that. I tried to put a review on the ebay website about this battery to warn other people but ebay refuses to post it. So buyers beware of 48v30ah battery. your comments will be welcome.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Seller selling Junk

What brand name is this battery? 

Contact the manufacturer for warranty work. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

I let it set idle for 5 months over the winter months.

In a garage or in a heated basement?

I tried to put a review on the ebay website about this battery to warn other people but ebay refuses to post it. 

In feedback, which can only be posted for 60 days after the transaction, vulgarity and namecalling are not allowed. I hope your review, which is meant to be of the product not the seller, was calm and factual.

After checking the specs on the charger I found the I cut off charge voltage is 58v which I am told is to high for a 48v lifepo battery.

Did the description say the battery should only be charged to 48v? Did you learn this recently by reading the manual ?

In any case, manufacturers usually do not warranty products sold online unless by an authorized dealer.

The problem is the lack of a papertrail. The product may be refurbished, or an insurance liquidation or bankrupt stock or 'fallen off a truck' or counterfeit.

You should go to the manufacturer directly. The address should be in the manual.

EBay's Money Back Guarantee is good for 30 days after delivery. Paypal's Buyer Protection covers you for 180days from payment. You may also be covered by your credit card, if you back your PP account with one.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

mcrlmn
Community Member

Sounds like more Chinese knock-off junk.
Is there any way to differentiate between this item and an original purchased from LiFePO4.in the authorized distributor.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

They are the seller and the builder of this battery which I believe is the problem. Their ebay profile states that they have 95% positive feedback but in light of the fact that my negative review has not been posted I suspect that they only post positive feedback and hence the high rating on ebay.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

You opened with, "Last May I bought  a 48v30ah lifepo4 battery".

So I assumed you thought you were buying a LiFePO4 battery.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

Also, 95 percent feedback is actually horrendous feedback for eBay. Stick to sellers 99 percent and up.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

Did you pay for this via credit card? Maybe it’s not too late to ask about a chargeback due to manufacturing defect.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

@denniclar_61 wrote:

Their ebay profile states that they have 95% positive feedback but in light of the fact that my negative review has not been posted I suspect that they only post positive feedback and hence the high rating on ebay. 

For future reference, 95% is not generally considered a high feedback rating, unless the seller has received only a miniscule number of feedback comments.  98.5 is about the lowest I'll go, depending on the nature of the item (some sellers are victims of extremely picky buyers) and the location of the seller.  My comfort level is generally in the mid-99s and up.

EDIT:  Sorry, @momcqueen.  I somehow missed your post on this subject.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

Their ebay profile states that they have 95% positive feedback

That is HORRIBLE feedback.

Never buy from a seller with less than 98%, 99% if he is overseas.

And READ what the negatives and neutrals say.

Some will obviously be from people who cannot be satisfied, poor miserable sods, but a pattern  of poor communication, late or no deliveries or poor quality will emerge fast.

I suspect that they only post positive feedback and hence the high rating on ebay.

EBay can remove feedback if it is vulgar or mentions Disputes.

But all feedback posted shows, unless it is specifically taken down.

But again, anything under 99% should be viewed with suspicion and under 98% should be avoided.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

@marnotom!
Can't be said too often.

This is why feedback should be dropped. The few who read it don't understand it.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Seller selling Junk

If the batteries only fail after several months, any FB relating to this would be too late. The true FB may be a lot worse than 95% if buyers of failed batteries could chime in.

Does the manual have any mention of maintainance charges if the batter is left unused for months?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply