Shipping from China takes longer than 60 days

I've ordered from China and all 14 items are taking longer than 60 days to receive. So how can I possibly leave the seller any feedback until I receive the item and then evaluate it?

The ebay limit of 60 days for giving a seller feedback is too short for some scenarios. If ebay offers items from China that require very lengthy shipping times, then the buyers like me should be able to have enough time to receive our items and still be able to give the seller appropriate feedback. This 60-day limit is too short.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You are not alone. I read at least six threads per week on the issue of delayed receiving time from China.

Feedback is not relevant to seller performance on ebay anymore. This changed awhile ago. While feedback can be useful to assess a seller's (and buyer's) reputation, the more important thing is whether or not you got the item as described. For this, paypal has buyer protection that lasts until 180 days from time of payment. Mark Day 157 on your calendar and communicate with the seller if you still have nothing at that point. Don;t accept an offer to replace at that point, take your refund and re-purchase from them if you're feeling lucky. At least that way, your purchase protection starts all over again.

The situation isn't about shipping times, per se. There is a hold-up at Customs for inspection because China is exporting illegal drugs into Canada and it's killing people at alarming rates. 

I certainly see where you're coming from with this but there is more going on behind-the-scenes than we know.

Personally, I am asking ebay to take a position on this so buyers and sellers presently know what to expect with merchandise coming from China, and also for ebay to ask the federal government to step in and pressure the Chinese government to halt production of these dangerous drugs for export. Don't blame the Customs agents, they didn't ask for this problem, they are simply responding to a situation which was not of their creation. 

Please read the above for more information. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You are not alone. I read at least six threads per week on the issue of delayed receiving time from China.

Feedback is not relevant to seller performance on ebay anymore. This changed awhile ago. While feedback can be useful to assess a seller's (and buyer's) reputation, the more important thing is whether or not you got the item as described. For this, paypal has buyer protection that lasts until 180 days from time of payment. Mark Day 157 on your calendar and communicate with the seller if you still have nothing at that point. Don;t accept an offer to replace at that point, take your refund and re-purchase from them if you're feeling lucky. At least that way, your purchase protection starts all over again.

The situation isn't about shipping times, per se. There is a hold-up at Customs for inspection because China is exporting illegal drugs into Canada and it's killing people at alarming rates. 

I certainly see where you're coming from with this but there is more going on behind-the-scenes than we know.

Personally, I am asking ebay to take a position on this so buyers and sellers presently know what to expect with merchandise coming from China, and also for ebay to ask the federal government to step in and pressure the Chinese government to halt production of these dangerous drugs for export. Don't blame the Customs agents, they didn't ask for this problem, they are simply responding to a situation which was not of their creation. 

Please read the above for more information. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for your response. I am well aware of illicit drugs being shipped from China being a huge problem so I was already wary of ordering anything from there.

Just to let you know, I made 14 orders from China in November 2016 and to date, March 01, 2017, I have only received 4 items out of the 14 ordered. Thankfully, each order was for a very small amount so It is not worth my time to chase down the no-show sellers. But it definitely illuminates what to expect when ordering from China and now I would never make a significant order from there ever!

Thanks again and good luck with your ongoing efforts to make ebay.ca a safer option.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Could I encourage you to spend some time chasing these low value refunds anyway?

At this point you'd be using Paypal.

When eBay and PP have to give back fees, they are motivated to crack down on scammers.

Hit 'em in the pocketbook.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I came here looking for ideas as to whether I should leave feedback at the 60-day mark, and hatzelzwatz has already asked my question.  So I won't start Yet Another Thread!

I bought 2 items from the same seller at the same time, both were marked shipped with different (useless) tracking numbers,  I got one over 2 weeks ago, and haven't received the second at 58 days.  Bizarrely, although I bought both items within minutes of each other, the one I got has a latest delivery date of March 3, but the one I didn't get yet has a latest date of March 13.  Perhaps shipped from different warehouses?  Although it's the same seller I.D.  BUUTTT... the 60-day feedback policy means I'd have to leave feedback for the latter item by March 3 also!  

I don't want to leave an unfair negative if it's just been delayed in the mail, but I do want to leave honest feedback if I'm never going to get the item and it is the seller's fault.  It will be too late to do so if I wait.

What would you guys do?

I looked at the "contact us" pages, nowhere to e-mail them, just a phone number.  So I called them and told the guy that they need to change it.  He'll "pass it along" for whatever it's worth.  He suggested also using the "tell us what you think" link on your summary page.  Which of course I hadn't thought of because that's not on the contact page!  But maybe talking to someone in person will get a little more notice than another e-message.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I am also having the same problem.I have one item that has tracking and I can see that it is stuck at customs since February 02, 2017. It has been so long that I am unable to leave feed back if it ever arrives. Item ordered December 23, 2016 . Items still missing from November 2016. In other forums on the web. Some people have waited over 180 days for items. I think ebay should put warnings for buyers and sellers. That there is a problem for China to Canada orders. Any items I have ordered from any other country has been here in 1-3 weeks.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Shipping from China is very long and to open a request is difficult, 30 days and if the seller says that the item is going to be shipped and never happens, after closing the request I couldn't reopen. that is not correct. It looks like I lost my money

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Never accept an offer to replace from a seller unless it is one with whom you have a previous relationship and/or it will be sent with tracking and can arrive within a week or so. As you have learned, it's often merely a stall tactic. Cross this seller from your list and see if perhaps PayPal will allow you to open an Item Not Received Case.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

You commented, "Feedback is not relevant to seller performance on ebay anymore". This is disappointing to me, I always thought seller performance was synonymous with feedback score. What is the sellers performance indicator and how should this influence my choice of sellers?

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Feedback is not relevant to seller performance on ebay anymore.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

eBay keeps tracks of certain metrics behind the scenes that are not made public such an cancelled orders or orders delivered late. To buyers, however, Feedback is important and should be viewed as a measure by which to judge what sort of product or service you can expect from the seller you are considering. Look also at Feedback Left For Others. It may lend insight to how a member resolves problems as they arise. Finally, product reviews have been implemented as a tool by which to judge the item you are looking to purchase.

It's not to say that Feedback is irrelevant, I certainly don't feel that it is. It's only that eBay has stopped using bad feedback as a measure by which to punish its sellers for buyer unhappiness.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

and if the seller says that the item is going to be shipped and never happens, after closing the request I couldn't reopen. that is not correct.

Way late for the poster but:

If you close an eBay dispute before it is resolved (you have money or you have the item) it can't be reopened.

BUT

You still have 180 days from payment to open a Dispute with Paypal.

PPs Resolution Centre is on your PP account page under Tools.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I am having the same problem !

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I have the same problem. I want to leave positive feedback for a seller who has done a great job communicating and giving me a partial refund on a phone that had a missing SIM card tray. Shipping took a long time because of the postal strike and then I had to wait for a tray to test the phone. Now we are past the 60 day limit for feedback. I really want to tell people about this great seller.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Did the seller leave feedback for you? You could leave a follow-up to it. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@guycabiliero wrote:
.... I want to leave positive feedback for a seller who has done a great job .... we are past the 60 day limit for feedback. I really want to tell people about this great seller.

Did the seller leave feedback for you?

Then you can reply to that feedback:

https://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/BayISAPI.dll?PersonalizedFeedbackLogin

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@ guycabiliero 

Wrong question.

Feedback is essentially meaningless. EBay does not use it to evaluate sellers' accounts.

What you want is the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If your item has not arrived by the last estimated date for delivery given to you by eBay when you paid, you have 30 days to open an Item Not Received dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

• If you use Contact the Seller in the Dispute all you want from him is either a tracking number that shows your item is in Canada OR a full refund.
  • You do NOT want a replacement. It will never arrive either.
  • You do NOT have to close the Dispute to get your refund. If the seller suggests this, immediately ask eBay to step in and escalate to a Claim. You will be refunded.
  • Leave feedback if you wish, but not until the transaction is completed. That is, you have either your purchase or your refund. 
  • Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

If you missed the 30 day deadline, you have 180 days from payment to make a Claim in the Paypal Resolution Centre at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

And if worse comes to worst, you can ask the credit card you back your PP account with about their chargeback policy.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is likely to be out of date or incorrect.

And the original question may not have much to do with the more current problem.

@happy_pigeon

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 18 of 18
latest reply