To pay using PayPal, direct debit, or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller?

I am a Canadain Seller/Buyer for many years.  I use the USD balance in my paypal account to do my purchases.  Just this morning I tried to complete a purchase and was told I have to be in the same country to use my Paypal balance to pay for my purchases.  Can anyone try to do the same and comment on this?

Richmond, BC
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

To pay using PayPal, direct debit, or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller?

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry, I'm a bit mystified by your post.  The title of your post refers to making a PayPal payment by using a bank account or credit card to fund your payment, but your post refers to using your PayPal balance to make the payment.  What are you trying to do?  And are you trying to pay someone in Canadian or US dollars?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I take it that your subject line is the error message that you encountered. 

Maybe the problem lay with the particular seller who may only accept the currency of their native land. It is a setting that paypal users can set for receiving payment. (It reduces fees paid to paypal.) Have you checked with the person to whom you were trying to send the funds? 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

And, no, I just paid for an ebay order in USD on ebay.com with CAD from my bank and did so without seeing any errors or messages indicating otherwise. Are you trying to Send Money? Or are you trying to pay through ebay? Or are you trying to pay another kind of checkout?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have both CAD and USD balance in my Paypal account.  I made a purchase in Ebay.com and tried to pay using my Paypal Balance.  I can't even get pass picking which currency to pay for the purchase.  It just gave me the error message "To pay using PayPal, direct debit, or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller. Please select a different payment method."

Richmond, BC
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shoot, you are right, seller only accept payment from US buyers!  Don't see many of these seller and was caught off guard.  Plus I just got up without my morning coffee. 

Thanks for all you guy's help!

Richmond, BC
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

There are actually a lot of Americans that do this for various reasons.

They have their own huge market.

It costs extra to take international payments.

It prevents people using forwarding companies from paying.

It also prevents buyers from countries they do not ship to from setting up addresses in the US because when it comes time to pay, they can't

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Sometimes it's an issue with liscensing a product for sale or re-sale too. There are agreements to which to adhere.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I can see if they are not allowed to sell in a certain market, so why do they even offer to sell. I have a seller who does sell and supposedly ship internationally, but I get this message when I go to pay.

"To pay using PayPal or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller. Please select a different payment method".

If they don't ship, what is the point of asking for a different payment method?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply