What's with sellers NOT giving feedback?

elephony
Community Member

When I pay for items in a timely manner and provide accurate shipping information, my job as buyer is done.  The seller should give feedback quickly.  The buyer, on the other hand, should give feedback after receiving the item.  So why am I giving feedback before the seller is, or why do I never get feedback from some sellers??

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: What's with sellers NOT giving feedback?

Feedback is completely voluntary. You will not get feedback at all for some transactions.  Unless you are selling, feedback is not any sort of gauge of reliability.  Since ebay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback, it has rendered buyer feedback pretty meaningless.

I still leave feedback when I ship.  I simply use it as an extra place to say thank you and to give an accurate date on shipment.

I'm averaging about 65% return rate on the feedback that I leave as a seller.  As a buyer, I seem to get about 90%; some immediately and some eventually.

Enjoy your purchases....you'll probably find you have a happier time when you focus on the stuff instead of the feedback.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

elephony
Community Member

I agree with what you are saying, Chatter, but these are the same sellers that 'pride' themselves on a 100% score. A little hypocritical, perhaps??

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I had a buyer that tried to scam me two years ago, and since then I only return feedback when the buyer gives me one indicating that he/she had no issues with the item received.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

There was also another time when the buyer messaged me and told me he gave me the wrong house number on the address... 10 days after I shipped and asked if I could track the item down .___. In that sense, buyer didn't do his "job" as he provided an incorrect address (even on Paypal shipping address info page). Obviously I can't track the item down with it being shipped to Europe to whoever on the address on the envelope. The item never bounced back to me either. Giving him a positive feedback would not be an accurate reflection of this buyer since he didn't provide correct shipping info.

I do find that buyers are more likely to leave me a feedback because they wanted one in return or something. On my other account (which is newer), I leave feedback right away, and that only yielded about 50% return feedbacks from buyers. While on this account I return feedback when the buyer gives me one (and I indicate that I will return feedback when I receive a feedback from them in the "shipped" message I send to buyer) I'd say I get 80% of the buyers returning a feedback.

This stats is personal and does not reflect other sellers on eBay lol.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

I'm not sure I understand your point elphony.

Buyers can ONLY get positive feedback.  So have they earned that 100?  Maybe, maybe not.  They could be the worst buyer on the planet and still have 100%.

Feedback for  a seller has an enormous impact.  It can determine how many items they are allowed to sell and even the fees they are charged.  It has far less to do with pride than it does survival and success.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

I used to give feedback quickly after a buyer paid but after giving out about 100 feedback and not getting any back even after I shipped items out on the same day and always providing a tracking number..

I gave up.   I give feedback after the buyer receives the item and leaves me feedback.

I wish that it was 2002 again and buyers could leave neg feedback for some buyers.   Sellers get screwed way too often on here.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

cbsalesnb
Community Member

In my opinion, what should happen is, once the 45 days expire for feedback to be left voluntarily, an automatic positive should be left. In the case of a buyer leaving for seller, the positive should be left, but not DSRs.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I just don't worry about It any longer. Feedback is voluntary. I can understand New Sellers wanting to see their FB numbers rise though.

I will continue to leave FB for sellers once they have paid. I'm generally happy with my numbers.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Sellers not giving feedback.

That has never happened to me - mostly it's auto as soon as I pay and others leave it until I've rec'd and given feedback.  I don't see any problem if they don't leave feedback until I leave them theirs.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

merryliza
Community Member

I agree, sellers should not have to give feedback for a buyer until after they have rec'd feedback from the buyer, but many sellers don't bother.  I thought the buyer also needed it so that sellers would know who the bad buyers are.  As long as the feedback doesn't abuse the rights then all is good.  It is the person who leaved bad feedback for some ultirior motive. However, good buyers should be appreciated.  If eBay took away this tool from the Seller than they are leaving Sellers open to misuse by buyers. VicaVersa, it would be nice if we buyers could also be totally honest about sellers and NOT BE REQUIRED to leave ALL 5 STARS for ALL Sellers.  If some sellers charge more to ship something that weighs the same from a similar location then we should be allowed to complain about it.  However, I have yet to purchase something from a seller who seems to be over-charging for shipping.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Hi!

About sellers not being able to leave a negative feedback to buyers..

I discovered that if you leave a ..DIDN'T PAY!!! or a NOT HONEST!!! on capital letters, that makes buyers crazy.

I do that sometimes and it works because they come back to pay or they contact me to excuse themselves. 

They can't take away these words from their feedback list unless Ebay revises it, which is not going to happen. Or I revise it. When they apologize I always revise the feedback and add a positive one. I also send them a message thanking their apology.

But regarding buyers not leaving feedback for sellers that is bad. I have to start doing like some of you say here..to feedback them only when they do it first. I know it's not the polite way but..I think it's the only way it really works.

Maybe sending them a personal message? If you have time and patience, of course..

Bye bye!!! 😛

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

it would be nice if we buyers could also be totally honest about sellers and NOT BE REQUIRED to leave ALL 5 STARS for ALL Sellers.

Buyers are not required to leave all 5 stars for all sellers. In some situations ....free shipping etc...the seller gets an automatic 5 star but you should be able to leave the amount of stars that you want to leave in most of the categories.

Keep in mind though that ebay does use those ratings on deciding how a seller's listings show up in search and also if they qualify for a discount so please be fair and reasonable. As far as shipping price......often a seller's price is higher than another sellers price because they are using a delivery confirmed service...that is their choice. You have your choice of paying the amount the seller is asking, you can ask if they can ship a less expensive way or you can buy from a seller that charges less.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

They can't take away these words from their feedback list unless Ebay revises it, which is not going to happen. Or I revise it. When they apologize I always revise the feedback and add a positive one. I also send them a message thanking their apology.

You would have left the buyer a positive and as far as I know you cannot revise a positive feedback so how are you revising it? Also, seller's are not supposed to leave negative comments on a buyer's feedback so ebay will take off the comments if the buyer complains.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

gorgeous crazy

Well the name fits.

First- feedback is meant to give future buyers and sellers an idea of how you treat customers. Do you think slandering them makes you look better? That future customer does not care about other buyers, only about his own reputation.

Second, in a few days or months, depending on how much you sell, the harsh words disappear off the page, while the numpty bidder continues to enjoy the positive feedback rating.

Third, of course, the bidder can also leave appropriate feedback for you. You must love to get feedback from unhappy bidders.

Fourth- maybe you feel vindicated, but wouldn't you feel more vindicated if you had your selling fees back?

If a bidder does not pay within 96 hours you can open an Unpaid Item Dispute. About half of these will result in an apology, a payment and positive feedback in my experience. The rest disappear. But those numpties now have a Strike which will make it harder for them to buy from thousands of sellers who have Blocks against bidders with Strikes. And you get your fees back and can relist without worrying that the bidder will pay you on Day 44, and leave you with two buyers, negative feedback, and a violation on your selling account.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply

I agree. When I sold (not athat I sold that much), I would leave sellers FB as soon as they paid. I don't get fb (usualy) until I leave fb myself. I get that they probably want me to lv positive fb first, but still....there are a few ppl that leave fb right away,,,I also agre that after 45 days, an automatic fb should be left.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

When I started on eBay I use to wait until the buyer received the item (most at the time suggested doing this).

Then after doing some reading on these forums, I started leaving feedback after I dropped the item off at CP.

I've never received a negative feedback yet, but have received my first two neutral ones in the past month. Both times the buyers didn't contact me to resolve the issue before hand (one where someone was wondering where the item was after 5 days on an item that could take up to 2 weeks).

I had a buyer contact me about something not working, so without them even asking I refunded them 100% of their money with an apology. 

A few days later they contacted me saying they took it to a store to have it fixed, they then re-paid me and left a very positive feedback.

eBay needs to come up with something that prevents buyers from leaving negative/neutral feedback if there was no attempt on the buyers part to contact the seller to resolve the issue.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

As a seller primarily, I stopped leaving feedback due to so many buyers not leaving feedback for me.  The feedback system is worthless if buyers stop leaving feedback for sellers.  I would say 20 percent of my buyers don't leave feedback, so I no longer bother.  It's not a matter of waiting to see how a buyer rates me before I leave feedback, it's waiting to see if a buyer is going to bother leaving me feedback - so many don't.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

As a seller primarily, I stopped leaving feedback due to so many buyers not leaving feedback for me.  The feedback system is worthless if buyers stop leaving feedback for sellers.  I would say 20 percent of my buyers don't leave feedback, so I no longer bother.  It's not a matter of waiting to see how a buyer rates me before I leave feedback, it's waiting to see if a buyer is going to bother leaving me feedback - so many don't.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Message 20 of 33
latest reply