Why does Ebay allow dishonest Chinese sellers on here?

I have been looking at the negative feedback of all the Chinese sellers on Ebay and I am shocked that these scam artists, these liars, these crooks would be allowed to sell their junk on Ebay. It seems that most everything they sell is garbage and they don't care. What makes it worse is it is only one or two sellers operating under different names who are flooding the markets of other countries with their garbage. Isn't it about time that Ebay stepped in and banned all Chinese sellers from stealing our money and putting out **bleep**? This doesn't say much for Ebay's integrity.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hello 'ubid-ikill',

Good post.  Lousy user ID (no offense).

<<I am shocked that these scam artists, these liars, these crooks would be allowed to sell their junk on Ebay>>

You and an increasing number of other users who have had the terrible misfortune of buying from them.

All you can do to help yourself is never ever buy from one of these sellers no matter how splendid the

item appears in the photo.  Because as you seem to have spotted, one thing these sellers are very good at

is photography.  Or perhaps 'trick photography' is more apt, given the likelihood the item received in no way

resembles that pictured.

<<It seems that most everything they sell is garbage>>

Right.  But y'know, surprising as you will find this, -- a lot of people buy quite a bit from these sellers and

are happy with the items.  Seriously.  I'm not making that up.  Comb through these message boards and

among all the fury about the worthless rubbish to arrive from that country, (if it arrives at all, which as often

as not it doesn't) you will find the occasional post from a user extolling the praises of that stuff.

Something for everyone, I suppose.  Different strokes and all that.

<<Isn't it about time that Ebay stepped in and banned all Chinese sellers from stealing our money>>

Golly, in an ideal world, eh.  But then, in an ideal world we would all be Esperanto-speaking vegans. Smiley Very Happy

Nothing about what you suggest will ever change.  Ebay is a behemoth American company of

gargantuan proportions and China has invested very heavily in the American economy, - to the

extent of neglecting its own infrastructure.  If a significant portion of ebay buyers left ebay as a direct

result of the intolerable barrage of rubbish, scammers and crooks from that country, causing ebay's

revenue to plummet substantially, then and only then would ebay notice and maybe, just maybe, add

a "region option" for its users to check a box to exclude sellers from that country when using Search.

Don't look for it any time soon.  All you (or anyone) can do is take the knowledge you gain from your own

experiences and apply this to best help yourself. 

One way to help (a bit) avoid those listings is to enter your Search, then from the left side of the page

under Location, choose  Canada only.  Or even North America, if you want to include the US.

You can do the same thing on the European ebays, if you want a quality item and are willing to pay the

shipping fees.  (UK Royal mail rates will flatten you, if you aren't expecting it).

<<This doesn't say much for Ebay's integrity.>>

True, but this is not about integrity.  It's about money.  It's always been about money.  So until the

presence of those sellers causes ebay to lose money, nothing will change.

As with all things in life, - work within the system to do what is best for you.

I wish you much happy (and conscientious!) shopping. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I don't know from which seller(s) you base this on ?

But I see the majority feed back from Chinese sellers have positive feed back.

The shipping is usually free for economy shipping and the prices for their products are low from China or Hong Kong comparing it to prices sold in North America or other countries.

The ones that I deal with the past were willing to re-send me identical item if the item was defective or refund my money back without having to ship the defective one back to them. So I really can't complain.

I suggest you look at sellers which had good feedback in the past and buy from them.

What type of products have you been buying from Chinese sellers that make you come to this conclusion?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The new wave of zero feedback ones are dishonest - I am currently dealing with a "westerrc" one for an item that auctioned for less than they wanted, but instead of setting a reserve, they just delete the account, hope to take your money, and start another one. Lesson learned, my first and last time with zero feedback sellers from China using the reputation of an existing account.

These are sellers with a Chinese name with a bunch of numbers after them like "fengbo3744" etc.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"Where ... are Ebay's employees?"

eBay employees no longer respond to threads. At one time, there was one employee in Toronto whose job was to monitor the discussion boards among other things.  eBay has trimmed the budget and nobody answers questions anymore.  The boards are now exclusively member-to-member.

Now, most Wednesday afternoon at 1:00pm (Eastern time) there is a "Weekly Board Hour" where a staff member from Toronto will address questions.  Depending on the nature of the questions they may or may not be answered.

Take a look at the discussions of the last few weeks:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/bd-p/23000000073

If interested, ask your question next Wednesday at 1:00pm (Eastern).  Please make sure you fully understand posting policies before posting (you cannot name a member for example).

Now, on eBay.com (USA) there was a team of about twelve staffers (called "pinks") monitoring the discussion boards and addressing questions.  Their employment was terminated by eBay in 2008 as a cost saving measure.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I certainly wouldn't paint all Chinese sellers with the same brush and I don't think you should. "Liars and Crooks" - I don't think so! Like I've said many times - forgive me reg. posters - I've had nothing but satisfaction from that country. BUT there again all I purchase once in a while is clothing. Never would I buy electronics, so-called 925 sterling jewellry, etc.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Actually from my experience and research the sales and feedback results on far too many  Chinese sellers on ebay are for lack of a better term. "Way off"  Taking into consideration the bulk sale there sales numbers VS stock quantity vs feed back are simply not possible. Then there is the sudden influx of negative feedback which is not normal especially with most of the feedback is of never having received the item after 6 weeks or more.  Many of the missing items i ordered claimed to have insurance and tracking codes which the sellers constantly avoided giving me.   Don't get me wrong i have several good Chinese sellers in my favourites, however i cant' see how ebay could possibly miss so many  pyramid scheme like sellers from china.  I found over a dozen trouble makers that were eventually banned from ebay in under 15 minutes.  No matter where you go there are people out to rip you off but letting them rip you off when you know something is wrong is even worse.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

ADENDUM:

Also all the fraudulent ebay sellers i recently dealt with do have a pattern of items to sell. It's usually clothing, then one or two kitchen items, then a sports item. They all also have a general rating of 200-300 feedback and they all hold until they reach about 275 then the influx if negative feedback comes pouring in and they vanish or get banned.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I deal with many Chinese sellers, both on ebay and in other business transactions. 

I find the Chinese sellers to be at least as honest as any Canadian seller.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It's possible i have  a few good ones i deal with but the evidence proves the contrary for most of us.   I just had to open a PP case a few mins ago and it's in the same pattern as the previous purchase problems from china sellers.  You simply can't ignore the pattern and i can't see why ebay hasn't seen this yet.  Also how these fraudulent sellers manage to get a 163.com or hotmail.com PP account is perplexing.  No one i know here in Canada can get a PP account with a web mail account.  There must be a loop hole because every single fraud on ebay i have dealt with including Canadians (if you can call them that)  had no base ISP email for their PP account.   Buy-sell-trade on ebay using a library computer is suspicious when you are giving out your home adderss.  I'm not that stupid.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@zhongjai wrote:

I don't know from which seller(s) you base this on ?

But I see the majority feed back from Chinese sellers have positive feed back.

The shipping is usually free for economy shipping and the prices for their products are low from China or Hong Kong comparing it to prices sold in North America or other countries.

The ones that I deal with the past were willing to re-send me identical item if the item was defective or refund my money back without having to ship the defective one back to them. So I really can't complain.

I suggest you look at sellers which had good feedback in the past and buy from them.

What type of products have you been buying from Chinese sellers that make you come to this conclusion?

This has happened to me more than once. I have a few chosen Sellers from China that I buy certain things from and I have no problem. If it doesnt arrive, I contact them a little after their chosen date of delivery (I give a grace window). 9 out of 10 times I either had my money refunded with a huge apology, or they reshipped the item for no cost, again with a huge apology.

I look at it this way. I am cutting out the middle man, which in this case is big box stores like Walmart or Target (for example). I don't give a flying fig about them and whether they lose money from me. 99% of big box stores have products made in other countries anyway. What I care about is the small family run shops where I buy things local. They are the losers here because of these monolith megacorps.

As well, there are dishonest Sellers in every country. I don't think it's fair to blanket a whole country because of a few bad apples.

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

man you nailed it.. too bad ebay could care less..i guess they just want there kick back.. so many dishonest sellers it staggers the mind. what a world hey.........
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply