Why eBay charge import tax from USA to Canada?

habiblip
Community Member

I have purchased an Laptop from USA and it shipped to my home in Canada. eBay charge import tax on my Laptop over US$25. I just wonder is there any import or export tax in between US and Canada? according to NAFTA, there should not have any tax for trading between these two countries. Even if there is import tax, whatever ebay charged on my, I have right to have that document. But eBay didn't send me any invoice or document that proved that they pay import tax. eBay has no right to charge on customers for import tax while they really don't pay it. So I want either my money back or import tax invoice with printing my name and address.

It was unexpected from eBay.

Thank you

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Why eBay charge import tax from USA to Canada?

very tired of paying this **bleep** tax . where is the free trade . i get a better deal from china

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

do not buy fro USA

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

i buy very little from the USA now

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

same old bull you are the buyer you have through too many hoops. It just discourages me from buying, bottom line

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@frankieavalanche wrote:

very tired of paying this **bleep** tax . where is the free trade . i get a better deal from china

Free trade does not exempt items from PST/GST/HST.  When you purchase an item from Canadian Tire that was manufactured in the United States or Mexico, you still have to pay taxes on it. 

When you purchase an item and have it mailed to you, it can still be stopped by Canada Border Services and have taxes and duty charged on it if it has a declared value of more than C$20.  Quite often this doesn't happen for mailed items due to the volume of goods CBSA has to process and the fact that it often costs more to collect the taxes and duty due than the amount collected.

However, if you purchase items from China that are shipped by courier rather than mail, you will end up paying taxes and duty due because they're not handled directly by CBSA.

Just sayin'.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

There is that old saying, only two things in life are guaranteed: death and taxes.
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@frankieavalanche

Even if your $20 item is duty-free (and items must be manufactured in the USA or Mexico* not just purchased there) you will still be charged Canadian SALES TAXES which will add from 5% to 15% to the cost of your purchase.

You may also be charged  a service fee (or customs brokerage fee, it has many names) by the carrier. Canada Post charges $9.95 to collect duty and/or sales tax on your doorstep.

*and several other countries including Chile and Israel, and the European Union CETA agreement is now in force at least provisionally.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

Zombie thread from 2016. Info is still relevant but I think the OP's messages are confusing (because I doubt he actually read the responses he was given) so this thread is not a decent read for people who actually wanted to learn about import charges... 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

So @happy_pigeon  may want to lock this

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016?

Message 29 of 29
latest reply