Why ebay does nothing against counterfeits?

I'm buying trading cards and see on regular basis expensive cards that are actually fakes but listed as authentic. I try to report them but i never seen a single time a listing being removed

Sometimes i contact sellers giving them benefit of doubts, and they keep it listed

It's awful to see it because i know someone just got scammed. While it could be avoided. I contacted the seller yesterday and he acted like he did not know it was a counterfeit. I explained with proofs why it was, he decided to keep it active and today accepted an offer

We have a scam under our eyes but ebay does nothing

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

EBay will not act on a single person's report. It will react if there are several reports from various members (not a single member using multiple ID's either).

It will react if a seller has multiple Not As Described disputes. But even then...

EBay does have a spot on the Selling form for Certificates of Authenticity. Several companies are named, but I don't know what happens in  NAD if the authenticator is not one of those named.

Your friend can start an NAD and get his money back. The seller is also required to send Return Shipping.

Does your friend need advice on how to do that?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

eBay doesn't act on reports of a counterfeit item from one user as they have no idea if the item really is legitimate or if you are reporting because you are a competitor or for various other reasons.  They don't have 'experts' in every category on this site to tell them whether or not each item is authentic. 

However, if the rights holder reports the listing, ebay will remove it.  For example if it is a NHL trading card and whoever ownbs the rights to those cards reports the seller, ebay assumes that the rights owner is correct.  If a buyer does find out that they bought a fake item, they can return and get their money back within 30 days after the purchase.   I realize that it's not an ideal situation but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

What i mean is that i know people getting scammed because i see the fake cards selling. Like in general. I don't know the buyers personally

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Then you can use the link to report the counterfeits to the publisher who has more skin in the game, and better lawyers.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for trying to help but i can't write anything so my posts are like all out of context

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Try the social media covered by eBay employees.

The phone reps do not work for eBay so don't bother with them. They work for a subcontractor out of Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

If you're sure they're fake, can prove it to the seller yet they're still selling them as authentic, you can always leave them a negative feedback to warn other buyers.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

shplad
Community Member

I've now bought at least 3 counterfeit software products through eBay. Each time, I reported it. On at least two of those occasions, I offered to provide proof that it was counterfeit, but of course eBay refused to accept it. 

After I received my most recent counterfeit software, I called eBay and aske for a refund. Their answer was that they couldn't give me a refund because it was past the 30 day return period. To me, this is utterly disgusting.

Why does eBay not authenticate software, especially expensive software, but they authenticate running shoes/sneakers? 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

eBay does NOT authentic anything....authentication is a third party process, as designated by eBay such as for the sneakers>>>>> it is the seller that must submit the item as per the requirements :

"Item will be sent to the Authenticators to perform the third-party inspection and authentication."

....you are required to ship the Eligible Item, with appropriate insurance coverage, to a facility located within Canada, as directed by eBay."

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

That's a weasel clause if I ever heard one! They allow vendors is the Advertising Sign catagory to get away with murder yet if I buy a pair of Van's runners they go for authentication. The fakers getaway with it because eBay let's them. A seller has 30+ negative purchase responses against them and they ignore it. Heck some they let open a new account to clear the old negative reviews. Disappointing, that's why I have gone to other auctions now seeking items. EBay has become my second choice. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

The fakers getaway with it because eBay let's them.

NO.

You have 30 days from delivery to open a Not As Described dispute with eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

The seller has to send you return shipping or to abandon the disputed item, and he must refund.

If you miss the 30 day deadline, Paypal allows you 180 days for a NAD claim, but you have to pay for the return.

If you didn't use PP and missed the MBG deadline, you can go for a chargeback on your credit card. Most cards allow 120-180 days for chargeback claims.

A seller has 30+ negative purchase responses against them and they ignore it.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

Those negs were left by buyers who didn't use the Money Back Guarantee.

Ignorance is it's own punishment.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply