Won auction but buyer cancelled and refunded. How can I report?

I won an auction for a Blu ray/DVD combo for a cheap price on May 16th.

I've been selling and buying quite a few things since that date so it's only natural to miss the odd notification. Well I missed this one.

It turns out I was refunded by an alternate account (but similarly named) through PayPal on May 21st. I received no notification from the seller. Ebay still lists the item as being in transit but the button instead of "Return Item" says "View PayPal Transaction". I tried to open a case but ebay auto file says it can't open a case with the item because there is a payment issue with the order.

I have contacted the seller but I don't think anything is going to come of it.

Is there some page to report the seller to ebay?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You paid to one account but were refunded from another?

Good thing you are honest, because I'm not sure eBay would consider that to be refunded since the payment and the refund are not from the same account.

However.

Having the money back means you have been "made whole". Annoyed, aggravated and aggrieved but not actually financially hurt.

This is where feedback is useful. A cancellation allows feedback.

EBay does not use feedback to assess accounts, but it does get read by a few buyers and makes the seller annoyed, aggravated and aggrieved , which seems fair.

As you know, if he cancelled as "Problem with address" he's pretty much in the clear.

If he cancelled with"Buyer Request", you could phone Customer Service and explain politely that you did not request a cancellation.

If he used "not in stock" or similar, he got a Defect.

Has eBay given you a window for delivery?

And of course, the original PP payment would still be showing as paid but not received.  The ethics of working that are pretty murky though.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps  yes, Ebay's final estimated date of delivery for the Blu ray/DVD combo is June 8th.

I bought a 2nd item from this seller in a non auction and the estimated date passed June 4th. I decided to file through Ebay for a refund. Looking at the details on the sale page instead of saying "You bought this item" it says listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

The seller now only has one item listed for sale under their profile. They have 6 positives and 1 negative. The negative is from 2019 by an American buyer who claims he bought an item and never received it. Seller refused to refund and buyer got Ebay to step in. Seller countered the negative in 2020 by saying they didn't ship to the USA then but they do now.

I probably should've scrutinized this seller more closely.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Looking at the details on the sale page instead of saying "You bought this item" it says listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

That's odd.

If the listing was ended, it could not sell.

He can end it, but not after it sells. He has to formally cancel the listing.

How did you get invoiced? Through eBay and Paypal?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestampsthrough PayPal. There has been no refund on the item.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Paypal allows Disputes for 180 days from PAYMENT.

Go to the PP Resolution Centre at the top of your PP page under Tools.

The dispute is Not Received.

Include the information that the listing has been removed by eBay, this usually speeds things up.
If he cannot prove that the purchase has been delivered (not shipped, delivered) you will be refunded.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I was already refunded for the auction item. It's the 2nd item I am waiting on now. I've opened a case and Ebay can't step in til June 11th.

From what I can gather, she never marked the item in the non-auction as shipped.

She hasn't answered my personal message or my Ebay case. She's probably done a runner and created a new profile here or elsewhere. I'm just going through the motions to get my money back right now.

I remember when Ebay started we were able to publicly call out these types of buyers/sellers on the forums as well as give them a negative for their troubles.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Who do you think reads feedback?

Not the seller. He doesn't care.

• He did get a Defect on the cancellation which affects his listing fees, the number and value of his listings and may restrict or close his selling account.

Not eBay. Because FB is opinion and less than 40% of transactions get any FB,  eBay does not use it to assess a selling account.

Not your fellow sellers.

• Most sellers use Fixed Price and don't meet our buyers until they buy.
  • The less than 15% of sales that are Auctions usually have a Buy It Now price. Those that don't usually end with a very few bids in the final seconds. Auctioneers meet their customer only when they buy.

The few who will read FB are future buyers who are seeing how you react to customers. And they see an angry, difficult to deal with, name calling seller. Not someone they want to buy from.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply