eBay Send claims something was delivered when it wasn't

"eBay Send" says that my items was delivered at 7:35 a.m. on Tuesday, November 28, and it certainly was NOT and I have never seen anything delivered that early.

It is now Monday, December 4, at 5:10 p.m. and eBay is insisting I have something that definitely was NOT delivered because I checked my apartment door within minutes and can hear everything going on outside my door.

I am in Canada.  I have asked the US seller to check into this, but ebay says I can't make a claim because they know it was delivered, even though there was no signature or pictures or any proof of delivery.  The item was inexpensive (though very hard to find) but the shipping was ridiculously expensive making up almost all of the cost.  If it had been shipped by the United States Postal Service with tracked envelope shipping it would have been cheaper.

What have been your experiences with "ebay Send" and how can it be tracked to find out where something has gone?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If it was sent using a tracked service through USPS, it would have been delivered by Canada Post and that is where your investigations should start.

When you mention "apartment" my first thought was "porch pirate".

The seller is not responsible once the package is marked 'delivered'.

Ask the PO clerk who might be at your nearest Outlet or possibly Post Office, we don't know, to check the back room for the package. If it were not delivered to you, in spite of the notice, it would have been there since Wednesday or so.

You should check both. And have the tracking numbers eBay gave you handy for the clerk. (And ID although something as simple as a Hydro bill with your postal address is usually fine.)

Signature Delivery is very expensive with USPS although tracking from them is much cheaper than Canada Post tracking. 

The UPU directives do not allow for international purchases to be shipped by lettermail, even tracked lettermail.

And again, porch pirates, whether someone sneaking into the building or one of your neighbours.

Speak to the manager of your apartment building. Is the carrier only in the lobby/mail room ? Or are they wandering the corridors of the building? Are there security cameras in the building?

If the PO doesn't have it, it is worthwhile making a police report.Not that they are likely to be able to do much for you, but having paperwork about a string of thefts can be useful for the overall safety of your neighbourhood.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@bobsjunkbox wrote:

"eBay Send" says that my items was delivered at 7:35 a.m. on Tuesday, November 28, and it certainly was NOT and I have never seen anything delivered that early.

It is now Monday, December 4, at 5:10 p.m. and eBay is insisting I have something that definitely was NOT delivered because I checked my apartment door within minutes and can hear everything going on outside my door.

I am in Canada.  I have asked the US seller to check into this, but ebay says I can't make a claim because they know it was delivered, even though there was no signature or pictures or any proof of delivery.  The item was inexpensive (though very hard to find) but the shipping was ridiculously expensive making up almost all of the cost.  If it had been shipped by the United States Postal Service with tracked envelope shipping it would have been cheaper.

What have been your experiences with "ebay Send" and how can it be tracked to find out where something has gone?

@bobsjunkbox 

If the tracking shows pick up and delivery times only a few days apart there is a chance item is still in the system and hasn't reached Canada yet. The tracking reports can be misleading as to where something really is. Have you tried the tracking number in the Canadapost system. It could have additional details especially if it really was delivered at your location or a community mail box. 

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Another thought.

Was the shipping done through eIS (eBay International Shipping)?

If so it was Delivered to its first stop to the eIS plant just outside Chicago, and has not yet crossed the border.

The seller is no longer responsible for delivery, that has been assumed by eIS.

A listing number would help.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay says it was sent to Ascendia and it is no longer their responsibility.

Asdendia says they sent it to Canada Post and gave me their tracking number, but won't confirm the address they sent it to so I can't even confirm their number was for my package and they say it is no longer their responsibility.

Canada Post was the sender to file the complaint so I have asked the vendor to do so.

And Ebay says their middle-man shipper says it was received therefore that must be the truth and they have denied my claim of not having received it.

I am EXTREMELY UNHAPPY WITH EBAY with their attitude that if their middle-man says I received it then I must have even when the middleman refuses to provide the address they claimed it was shipped to so I can try to track it down or to verify the tracking number they provided is even for my package.

Maybe after 18 years it is time to close my ebay account if this is how they are going to treat their customers. Hopefully Amazon won't be as bad with their customer service.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Online viewable tracking information is generally pretty vague in order to protect the privacy of the recipient and the seller.  Sometimes you can get more detailed information on an item's passage on the Parcelsapp website.  I suggest checking there for grins and giggles to see if there's tracking information that you haven't found elsewhere.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think that 'eBay Send' was the original name for eBay Internatinal Standard Delivery which is one of the programs being phased out but is still in use.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Asendia only gave a Canada Post tracking number knowing only the sender (they) can see what address it was for (not the recipient) and they said it was proof I received it.  When I insisted I wanted a screen capture of what address that tracking number was for, they relented and I got a refund but would not give me the screen capture of the address that tracking number was for.  I have heard of too many cases where they are giving out Canada Post tracking numbers for other successful deliveries knowing we receipients can't see it is for another address and not us. 

ebay needs to get a more reliable and reputable company than one that gives out a false tracking number (ie. one for another address) so they can falsely claim they didn't lose the package and that it was delivered when they know it was not.

Also in larger buildings (such as mine) in Canada we have Canada Post package lockers so we aren't victims of porch pirates. An image of the one in my building is included (plus it is in a locked room) and they are extremely rugged to prevent from being pried open. When you have a package, they give you a key in your mail, you must leave in the key return slot in this package locker, after you pick up your package.

So I am still upset that they probably lost the item, not that it was expensive, it is just extremely hard to find.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@bobsjunkbox wrote:

When you have a package, they give you a key in your mail, you must leave in the key return slot in this package locker, after you pick up your package.

How often is the lock changed? Strikes me that this system opens the door (sorry) for the less than scrupulous to help themselves to other packages that may have arrived at the same time, or to duplicate the key for later use.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply