Sales tax double dipping

How about some relief on all the Washington state taxes I’ve paid for having a mailbox in the US to save on shipping costs then get dinged Canadian taxes when bringing the goods into Canada where they were intended for in the first place!  Shouldn’t be paying WA tax if not used there.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sales tax double dipping

"eBay Canada Limited (“eBay”) will be required to collect Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/PST) on applicable sales to Canada-based buyers."

buyers Pay the taxes!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Sales tax double dipping

marnotom!
Community Member
“Internet” sales tax charges are based on the shipping destination of the item, not the purchaser’s location.

Since your items have a shipping destination in Washington state, Washington state taxes apply to it.

Any concerns about this should be directed to the Washington State Treasury, not eBay.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Sales tax double dipping

And Canada charges duty and sales taxes on imports.

I think our personally imported allowance is $200 after 48 hours, but it's been years since I left the country.

The duty-free allowance for mailed imports from the USA is $150 and the tax-free allowance is $40.

Perhaps that should be considered against the cost of  paying Washington taxes (half of BC), driving to and from the US (making allowances for buying their cheaper gasoline) and of renting your mailbox.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply