Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

I am a long time top rated seller.

I received an email from an American in North Carolina (we ship to all US addresses, including his), that my ebay auction, has a message on it that I will not ship to his address.

Upon investigation, all my Good Till Cancelled and Auction listings, only give a shipping price to Canadian addresses.   Everywhere on the planet is blank, and I assume those potential buyers are also being told I will not ship to them.

I had a similar experience with a batch of 10 auctions about a month ago.   Ebay assured me the problem would be fixed by the end of the auctions  - it wasn't.   I got much lower final auction prices as a result

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    This time at least one of them was affected.   I discovered the affected auction because a potential US bidder wrote to me asking if he could get me to ship to him!    He wrote to me in the last 24 hours, so I was unable to cancel the auction.   I started the auction at $9.99 and it was still at that price, even though it was a camera that should get lots of interest, and sell for about $80.   I phoned ebay, and they acknowledged the problem, but they refused to end the auction.   The item ended for just $15.50 - no doubt because ebay had sabotaged the auction by telling all potential international bidders that I would not ship to them.    Ebay did tell me this problem would be fixed within a day or two.

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    When I started them, they seemed to be working.    But now its even worse.    All my listings are only giving shipping rates to Canadain addresses, and as far as I can tell, all potential international bidders are being told by ebay in bold Red Letters, that I will not ship to them.

Luckily I have enough time to cancel my auctions, which I will do in the morning after talking with ebay.

Hopefully the solution will be to relist on ebay.com 

If you have auctions currently in ebay.ca, I encourage you to look and see if anyone outside of Canada is receiving a shipping rate, and/or if they are being told you will not ship to them.

Message 1 of 172
latest reply
171 REPLIES 171

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

They are not blocking the buyers but in some cases it may look to the buyer that they are been blocked. However as mj said if they click on buy it now or add to cart they should be able to make the purchase.

Message 41 of 172
latest reply

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

I've had 2 customers tell me that they were not showing add to cart button. And not all potential customers "Try Everything" when something doesn't work. They just go to another seller.
Message 42 of 172
latest reply

An absent Add to Cart button is concerning. We haven't had to deal with that since late 2016 when all the site carts/baskets came into alignment. And Add to Cart only works with Buy It Nows and not Auctions, as far as I know. 

I'm not downplaying this problem, I'm trying to offer you temporary solutions to share with your buyers.

Message 43 of 172
latest reply

Earlier today I went though this with ebay.

The ebay rep tried to buy one of my BIN items using their US account.    Here is what we observed

1.   If a non-Canadian buyer (US in this case) tries to use the BIN, they will get a message saying they can't buy the item because I don't ship to their Country (when I do and all settings are correct).

2.  If a non-Canadian buyer tries to Add To Cart instead, they get a message saying they can't do that either, because I don't ship to their Country.

ie BIN and Add to Cart international buyers are blocked.

3.  The ebay rep then made an offer, which I accepted.    They were unable to pay because when attempting to do so, they were told I do not ship to their address.

4.  The ebay rep then asked for a manual invoice from me, and I was able to send an invoice, which she was then able to pay.

This transaction was then reversed, and the item relisted.

Conclusion.    All BIN and Add To Cart international sales are effectively shut down on ebay.ca   Buyers can still make offers, but they will be doing so, without any shipping info.    If you accept an offer, you will probably need to manually create an invoice so they can pay for it.   For all intensive purposes, Ebay.ca is for Canada.   International buyers can participate if they push through all the false statements from ebay about not shipping to their location.

Message 44 of 172
latest reply

I’m sorry to hear that although it sounds as if your Rep was at least willing to work through the problem with you. I don’t think my listings are being affected the same way.
Message 45 of 172
latest reply

I also have been getting problems with ebay telling my buyers that I don't ship to  USA, I had several buyers contacting me, and asking me why they are getting a message that I don't ship to  USA, when I said that I ship worldwide. I have been getting problems with ebay not giving the correct shipping amount. Since January these events keep multiplying. Just now I had a buyer telling that the shipping calculator was not accepting their US postal code and would not give them the shipping rate.

I have another buyer that's been trying to purchase 3 set of skating blades and the buyer cannot go through with is purchase without having to pay 3 full shipping rates. I have contacted ebay and they cannot make this work, they said a ticket was open.  

Message 46 of 172
latest reply

As I said elsewhere in the thread, my non-existent shipping rates appear as they should when the buyer uses Add to Cart. You may try suggesting that to the users who contact you.
Message 47 of 172
latest reply

In my case the "non-existent" shipping rates did indeed appear when the Buyer uses the Add to Cart feature. However when the Ebay rep went to actually purchase the item in the cart, she was told she could not do so because I didn't ship to her Country. ie the Cart looks like it works until you try to actually purchase - then you find out you can't!
Message 48 of 172
latest reply

wrote:
In my case the "non-existent" shipping rates did indeed appear when the Buyer uses the Add to Cart feature. However when the Ebay rep went to actually purchase the item in the cart, she was told she could not do so because I didn't ship to her Country. ie the Cart looks like it works until you try to actually purchase - then you find out you can't!

What country was the rep in?

Message 49 of 172
latest reply

wrote:

That was what happened with another poster with a similar problem.  But some in some casesUS buyers have apparently been able to purchase once item was added to cart so it seems that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Or maybe it depends on the listing or seller...I have no idea.

Message 50 of 172
latest reply

I spoke to eBay today about the missing shipping information for US buyers. They say they have known about the bug since Jan 18 and are working on a fix.

The fix is estimated to be rectified within 60 days!

Meanwhile all Canadian eBay sellers are losing US bids/purchases.

Before eBay make any changes in software it should be fully tested, apparently they didn't do that in this instance!

Oddly I can still sell to US sellers. They just can't see the shipping until check-out. But I have noticed 90% of my business has suddenly gone elsewhere.

Message 51 of 172
latest reply

The ebay Rep was in the US in UTAH.
Message 52 of 172
latest reply

Its not just US, its Global.

As for the reference to rectified within 60 days, thats the same as saying "We have no idea how to fix it" because with ebay's budget they could build a brand new ebay in 60 day or less. Alternatively its the same as saying we like it like this, and don't intend to fix it. A software error should be fixable in 48 hours.

My suggestion is to only list items on ebay.ca that will most likely be purchased by Canadians. Put everything else on ebay.com, or an alternative site that works.

Message 53 of 172
latest reply

If the cs rep was correct, 60 days is ridiculous!

Message 54 of 172
latest reply

It's starting to feel like, as sellers we all got the shopping cart with the wonky wheel and they don't have the wheels to fix the problem!!!
Message 55 of 172
latest reply

As of Feb 5, 2018 this problem is NOT fixed.

Ebay.com seems to be working fine though.

Message 56 of 172
latest reply

'ebay.com seems to be working fine'...

Do you mean from the point-of-view of the buyer? Or from the point-of-view of the seller? 

My experiments on my own listings created on ebay.ca showed the error occurred on ebay.com with an American account and address.

Message 57 of 172
latest reply

I mean items listed on ebay.com seem to be working, compared to items listed on ebay.ca which do not work.

I spent much of yesterday and today creating new auctions and listing them on ebay.com.

Ebay.com requires Canadians to use fixed shipping prices, ie you can't use the ebay rate calculator that is available to Americans listing on ebay.com (the reason is because it needs a US address as the ship from location). So all the problems that seem to originate with the shipping rate calcuator on ebay.ca, are bypassed by listing your items on ebay.com using fixed shipping fees.

I don't know what the implications are for visibility or other problems I don't know about, but it does get past the ebay.ca problem of telling potentials bidders/buyers that you won't ship to them.
Message 58 of 172
latest reply

Okay, thank you for that clarification. For those sellers running auctions that require active bidders before the auctions end, it may prove a valuable workaround. 

Message 59 of 172
latest reply

Have you ever found something you wanted on an online site, then added it to the cart, and gone through all the steps to purchase it, then at the final step, you get a message that stops you from completing the purchase?   That message looks like, "Will Not Ship to Canada", or "Will Not Ship To Your Country?"

Well if you ship internationally, then thats what your international buyers are experiencing right now.    

If they try to use the Buy It Now option, or the Add to Cart option, when they get to the end, and try to make the purchase - Ebay BLOCKS them from buying from you!

Today is Feb 6, 2018 and this problem is still there.   Ebay knows about it, and they have not fixed it.

I suggest you phone ebay and ask for your store fees to be refunded this month.

Message 60 of 172
latest reply