Managed payments is a mess for Canadian sellers who sell in USD

Got an email today saying to register and that I could register and choose USD payouts but after signing up I never saw the option to choose USD or even CAD for that matter, contacted support and they just keep telling me that no Canadian can get USD payout when there is literally a page (https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html) that says

• When you register for eBay as a business or by invitation, you will have the ability to choose your preferred payout currency when managing your payments.

Has anyone else signed up and gotten USD payouts? I really don't want to have to make a new account just to get paid out in USD, and I don't want to be paid out in CAD and lose 4% on each sale for no reason. 

Support just confirmed to me that my account is locked to CAD and it cannot be changed, this is a complete joke and this needs to be fixed. 

tyler@ebay is there anything you can do to help me?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @retrogamersparadise - my understanding is that once activated into payments you cannot change your payout currency. However, I'm not the expert on this, but we have one coming to the chat today! I see you got this same question there, so I'll make sure you get notified when they have an answer for us. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @retrogamersparadise - my understanding is that once activated into payments you cannot change your payout currency. However, I'm not the expert on this, but we have one coming to the chat today! I see you got this same question there, so I'll make sure you get notified when they have an answer for us. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Hey Tyler,

Any word back from the payment experts? I’ve been checking periodically but haven’t seen anything. I’m pretty worried about my situation at the moment and I’m really hoping it gets sorted.

Thanks
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

I face the same problem, not sure how hard it can be to be able to be paid in both currencies.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Apparently it's difficult, because eBay is working backwards with the whole managed payments thing and they obviously don't know what they are doing. I can't believe the only solution is to make a new account and lose all of the feedback that I've accumulated on this account just to get paid out in the currency I want. If I have to pay currency exchange fees it'd be cheaper for me to just sell on StockX which is what I plan on doing if this doesn't get sorted.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I got the message "Reminder : Register to receive payouts in US dollars" yesterday. It looks like from what is being described in the message, it is not possible to maintain dual currency payment with Managed Payment.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

It isn't possible. You have to choose one or the other. If we want both we have to open another account.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

jai604
Community Member

im in the same boat my account is locked in cdn payout.  i will have to create a new account that is for USD. the conversion from USD to CDN with ebay is brutal.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Which leads me to wonder what sellers who choose to have their payouts in US dollars plan on doing with these USD accounts.  I don't think most banks are going to offer them exchange rates much different than those that Adyen/eBay.  Unless people are able to pay their USD credit card accounts or other vendors with these Canadian-based USD accounts, or else they have the luxury of sitting on these funds until exchange rates become more favourable for sellers, I'm not seeing the point so far.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I have a CDN Ebay account set up in CDN dollars, now I have a second Ebay account and I am trying to set it up in USD but all the options showing are CDN Banks.  When I use the other Bank link the first thing it asks for is a Finacial Institution number, No USA bank uses that.  Its a term for CDN banks.  My Bank is owned by TD Canada Trust.  And my USD account is TD America.  I have now been stuck at trying to register my bank account for over a week.  When I phoned Ebay they were baffeled and was on the phone for over 1 hour.  I am thinking the only other option is for me to request an invite fro, Ebay.com where I should have no problem adding my USA bank account?  Anyone else have this same issue?

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

You're having this issue because Managed Payments does not support payouts to American-based banks for Canadian sellers.  You require a Canadian-based US dollar chequing account if you want payouts in US dollars.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Managed payments otherwise known as managed chaos could be the last straw for me after 22 years of selling on eBay. My volume is down 80% from what it used to be on eBay but I have more than made it up on other platforms. I am close to the point of saying bye bye completely.

I have been slowly buying less and less on eBay. I suppose the main reason for that an overall loss of goodwill.

Yet again the costs of selling on eBay skyrocket and the work to complete a sale and keep the buyer happy has become so much more difficult.

If eBay doesnt roll back some of this months foolish and greedy changes I will be out of here by years end

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

sorry to hear everybody is dealing with this,  went through the same mess as you all.

It seems that managed payments only pays out USD via ACH which Canadian banks do not support, they use ETF and wire transfers, I do find it ridiculous that eBay was not able to articulate this to the Canadian members prior to migrating to managed payments. I have not had any income in almost 30 days and don't expect that will change unless I set up a whole new US-based bank account for my business with a Canadian bank that supports that, this process can take up to 6 weeks for those who don't know.  This migration has been a horrible experience for us, and not one person at eBay seems to be concerned about the impact on their customers. Additional banking accounts cost your reseller's additional banking fee's, and with no alternative, this is a pretty terrible launch for your "valued members"

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Hello everyone... really need some help.  I've been selling on ebay since 2008 with over 10,000 postive feedbck.  We recently switched to managed payments and the last step is attaching our bank account.

We opened a RBC Canadian USD Business Account which matches our business name on ebay.  To my understanding these USD Canadian accounts are not attached to the US Banking Transfer System.  RBC gave us a different Routing # which should have sold this problem, however we still haven't received payments even though ebay sends us daily emails saying payment was sent.  

Are there any other Canadian sellers who are having this same problem?  I'm thinking the only other option is to try and attach our RBC Canadian Cheqing account and see if that works.

We'd like to get paid in USD and have the option of converting to CAD on our own terms and not be subject to the ebay exchange rate.

Thanks everyone for your help.  Any info here would be helpful.  Thanks 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

I am not getting any funds that have been sent to my Canadian Chequeing Account daily. It has been more than 1 week. RBC said no funds have been sent and Ebay insists they have with a Bank ID # that RBC does not recognize that Ebay claims comes from RBC. It's a nightmare and No one is helping to esculate and sort this out. They are just finger pointing.................

2 times to the bank branch for over and hour , telling me to talk to Ebay..............

2 times on phone with Ebay  teling me to talk to bank........

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

Hi we ended up setting up a Canadian based usd account with our bank BMO and a us based usd account.

The issue we ran Into as Canadian sellers when we tried to use the our BMO Harris US based account after we were told we needed, we were not able to add the account because it would not accept the routing information. After we ended up using out Canadian USD account and that started working, we have been receiving our payments, we did have to go back to our bank as some of the payments showed up as blocked in the eBay managed payments system. It was not a seamless migration by any stretch. Hope this helps
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Community Member

You can definitely change your payout currency. Go to eBay settings and don’t allow your phone to auto detect what country you’re in. Switch your country to United States and sell your stuff to America. You’ll be paid in USD.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

That's incorrect.  Once sellers choose their payout currency for Managed Payments they cannot change it.

If a seller's currency is in $C and they list on .com, their funds will get transferred to $C before being deposited into their bank.   When Paypal was the payment processor listing on .com would result in the seller being paid in $US but that is not how it works now.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

I totally relate to your payment in Canada issues. I’m in Canada with a eBay.com ID as I’ve been selling on EBay for over 20 years. Yesterday i went to my CIBC bank amd opened a checking US funds account which I was told would allow funds to be sent from EBay.com . Well today I was advised by eBay that 5 deposits had been blocked by my bank.
So much for solving the problem by CIBC. I now have payouts going back to mid august that I have not received. I feel I’m never going to see my funds. I’ve also never received a “ micro deposit “ as promised. Can anyone help? eBay
Customer service is totally non-supportive or helpful, buck passing and apologies but no funds. Does anyone know of an
Option to EBay? I’m curious. Thank you.
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Is there an appetite from the community to seek class action legal advise?
Message 20 of 46
latest reply