1 day Promo from eBay - what a joke!

Promotional offer summary

"Valid from Sunday May 20, 2018 00:00:01 ET until Monday May 21, 2018 23:59:59 ET. Maximum fee per sold listing is $1. Applies to final value fees on up to 5 listings. No insertion fees apply. Item must sell within 30 days of listing. T&Cs apply."

won't be wasting my time with this one...and why eBay even bothers I'll never know....
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Joke to you but not to other sellers.

A $1 FVF cap is a nice perk for store sellers with a sale price over $10. If an item sells for say $80 at 10% (non-store rate example) for a FVF of $8, a seller saves $7.

All a seller has to do is find 5 new items to list which can be a challenge on short notice or even easier, end and relist 5 of their most likely to sell items and hope for one of them to sell.

Any offer from eBay to save is better than none.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

As Poco says, this is a great promo. Now the difficult part is trying do decide what 5 items are most likely to sell and list those...

If I didn't have to work over the long weekend, I would've listed 5 completely new items.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Capping sale fees at $1 when a qualified item sells (previous offers of this type used a percentage discount).

2 day promo of interest for those with high ticket items in Canadian $.

No savings value for low cost items under $10 (if your FVF is 10%)

A Canadian invite for listing on either the eBay.CA and CAFR.eBay.CA sites.

NOT for ebay.COM use (or sellers based outside Canada).

Sellers need to activate the Promotion (and list) before Monday, May 21, midnight ET.

The item does not need to sell in the 2 day period to get the reduced fee.

https://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2018/0520/index.html

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

It's the listing time frame that is the joke!  The listing timeframe is not well thought out...Long weekend here in Canada, busy weekend, plans in place, no time, not available etc,etc,etc,etc

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

End and relist  Listings... might work

------With the highest number of viewers... Higher number of viewers might also work

Or

----- The highest number of watchers...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

For me it was the fact that I saw it entirely by accident very late at night. So far there has been no email specific to it. How about starting them at noon ET. At least then it's a bit more visible and then you have a bit more time to play with and try to plan.

-CM

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

End and relist  Listings... might work...

This promo has a twist, the 5 listings have a free basic insertion fee if it is a new listing OR using sell similar to list.  A simple relist might not work to get the listing fee covered -- but it should still work for the $1 FVF selling cap.

The fine print is a bit muddy.

"will pay zero insertion fee ... for the first 5 listings created"

"Items that are automatically relisted through the Automatic relist function will be charged."

I can confirm "sell similar" does work.

Not willing to test to see if the relist choice works.

-..-

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I saw it on my Facebook newsfeed as well as the iPhone app. I haven’t been to my desktop. I’m simply grateful to have been invited to a promo instead of passed over.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For me it was the fact that I saw it entirely by accident very late at night. So far there has been no email specific to it. How about starting them at noon ET. At least then it's a bit more visible and then you have a bit more time to play with and try to plan.

I first saw it in my regular email account this morning (9:15am arrival). Then I saw this thread in the forums. Then I checked my Promotions section on my eBay (non-hub version) and saw it there. I just checked my eBay messages and I see a promo message dated 6:30pm yesterday (no idea when it actually showed up).

The problem with early announcements is people who don't read and wonder why trying to activate early is not working for them....

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Sunday smile:

New activities to be to be completed prior to getting any future offers.

For Men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smehg1GE3U

For Women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwN6nh3Kwo

-CM

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

OK, did that blindfolded plus 100 sit-ups.

Now ready for offers, sales or questions from buyers!!!

Go Jets

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Under normal circumstances, a Long Weekend is a perfect time for me to list new items. Selling on ebay is not the primary source of income for my family so that means I work around everyone else's schedule; I work weekends and evenings and nights and early mornings and any other time the planets align and make it possible for me to do so. 

Long Weekends are work-time for me and others like me.

Even the weekends when the sun shines and it's perfect weather to be camping instead, or the Jets are playing a home game. Go Jets Go! 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I can confirm it is the first 5 auctions you list or relist that count your total down to zero. But if you use 30 day auctions, you get 30 days to sell each of the 5 you choose to list..  So choose wisely..

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

I can confirm it is the first 5 auctions you list or relist that count your total down to zero. But if you use 30 day auctions, you get 30 days to sell each of the 5 you choose to list..  So choose wisely..

You mean 30 day FIXED PRICE.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

I think we all understood WHAT HE MEANT when he said '30-day auctions' but for those that might have been confused, thanks. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

For me it was the first five Good Till Cancelled listings that came up for auto-renewal that were claimed by the promo after I activated the offer. It will be utterly random luck if any of those sell. At least they were in the $30 to $300 ranges of items instead of the $15 ones. I will, however, be kicking myself if now my most pricey item(s) sell this month after I missed the opportunity to finagle them into the promo. D'oh!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

That was tempting!  I almost came out of retirement to take advantage of that special offer.

Imagine five listings (ten day auction or 30 day fixed price listings) priced at $1,000 to $2,000 each with only $1.00 Final Value Fees!  It does not get any better than that.

However, Mary quickly put the brakes:  "You are old and retired... and stay retired.  Forget about it.  Go back to packing your stamps for auction instead of trying to prepare new eBay listings from scratch."  

Oh well.... life does go on.  That promotion allowed me to dream for a few minutes.Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

One of my items I listed last night in this promo just sold and I discovered

the promo also applies to the shipping fee - capped at $1.00

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I havn't listed anything in years, (and havn't been to these forums in years either!) but decided to list 4 items yesterday before I had to go to work the afternoon shift.

I listed from my phone, using the app for the first time. Loved the voice to text ability for the descriptions. Didn't love that I couldn't list in US $ (from reading it seems that's been a while now), and I missed the option to add in international shipping, and had to go back in and edit the listing's today, which I only realized when checking the ads and seeing how low the viewership was.

It's nice to see a few names that I recognize from many years ago. 🙂

Message 20 of 21
latest reply