1099-k form for Canadian citizen/ resident

Hi.
i have a US-registered Ebay & Paypal account which has a US address and SIN / TIN. I’m a Canadian citizen & resident though. In 2020, I exceeded the $20,000 USD threshold so I received notice from Paypal for a 1099-K form. Do I still have to file US income tax? I’ve already filed my Canadian income tax.

I filed a w-8ben with paypal us but they replied " Since your account was opened in the United States and contains a valid Social Security Number we are required to report your income to the IRS as required by law.  The 1099-K will not be zeroed out. 
Please note that a W-8BEN would only be applicable if you held a non-U.S. PayPal account and did not have a U.S. TIN. "
Is this true?
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

1099-k form for Canadian citizen/ resident

Are you a dual citizen? If so until you revoke your US citizenship you are supposed to file a US tax return FOREVER and no matter were you reside or what other citizenship you might hold.

WBEN-8 forms are for non- US citizens who reside in countries that have a tax treaty with the US (includes Canada and many other countries). This would exempt you from withholding taxes.

When properly documented, dual citizens can avoid any double taxation.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply