6 month review of promoted listings testing

hlmacdon
Community Member

I thought I would share my results over a longer time sample. During this time I tested some products with a higher ad rate but consistently found that sales did not scale with increased ad rates in any meaningful way, the vast majority of sales were at the minimum spend. Some other observations:

•  Ebay's reporting doesn't fully capture the benefits of promoted listings. Specifically I've noticed two consistent trends. Most new customers I have acquired over the period are via promoted listings, and many of them convert to semi-regular buyers. More importantly a large percentage of promoted listing sales have generated multiple attach sales and have proven to be a good way of generating store browsing which leads to more sales activity. Ebay's reporting fails to capture either of these two metrics and they would be wise to incorporate them into the dashboard to give sellers a better overall picture of the ROI. I don't have an easy way to measure this given ebay's reporting, but anecdotally I'd say at least 30% if not more have multiple items purchased stemming from the initial promoted listings sale.
  •  Conversion rates don't seem to increase with promoted listings when viewed in aggregate. It takes many, many impressions to generate a click and even then the sell through rate is fairly equivalent to normal traffic. It is really about generating enough impressions.
  •  While many new customers are being acquired I do see a large amount of regular customers showing up as promoted listing sales. To me this indicates that while they are regular shoppers (I have a number of buyers that purchase multiple times a week) their browsing activity still remains via the search engine rather than natural browsing of favorite seller store sto see what is new. Considering that I'd say promoted listings are important to help you stay at the forefront of the buying activity of even your most regular customers.
  •  There has been an ongoing war between ebay and some of the ad blocking programs over promoted listings. Ebay has changed the code that inserts promoted listings on several occasions to counter this. Some have worried that due to the popularity of ad blocking programs there is a danger of losing sales. I have no way to measure that to conclude one way or another but comparing the last 6 months of 2019 to the year prior I finished up YOY with about 20% less inventory. In the first 6 months of the year without any consistent promoted listing activity I had some really wild up and down swings and I would say consistent promoted listing activity has helped minimize the downward swing.

Overall I'm happy with the results I have been seeing.  For a very minimal cost there have been appreciable benefits and a positive ROI. I expect results to change come next quarter as the US side has confirmed they will be making changes to how promoted listings work as there are a lot of low quality sellers ranking high in search by leveraging the program. While there is always going to be some lingering doubt as to whether or not one would have received the same sale had the listing not been promoted, the marketing costs can be very low while still giving a nice monthly boost to sales.

The sales below are in USD.  A monthly breakdown is as follows:

• June - $421.18
  • July - $622.47
  • August - $1280.98
  • September - $1017.24
  • October - $1474.42
  • November - $883.43
  • December - $1425.02

ebaypl.jpg

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@jolp_emporium wrote:
I still struggle with promoted listings.. Whenever I choose to promote listing when creating the listing initially it does not work, it'll say something along the lines of "unable to process your request". The only way I've been able to create a promoted listing campaign in through ebay.com. These discrepancies have causes by to not take full advantage of promoted listings. Perhaps having an ebay store would make the process more user friendly?

I've been considering subscribing to an ebay store for awhile now..

Any thoughts on this?

You don't need a store subscription to manage promoted listings. Personally, I completely ignore the promoted listing section when creating or editing individual listings. 

Alternatively, I would reccomend managing your promoted listings (start, stop, edit rate, add,  delete, monitor results)  from the Promoted Listings Dashboard that is provided within Seller Hub.

If you are not using Seller Hub you can opt-in here https://www.ebay.ca/sh/ovw

Once in Seller Hub open the Marketing page, on the left side under the Advertising header click on Promoted listings. Any listings you have previously promoted will show up there, possibly in a number of different "campaigns". 

You can quickly and easily add 1, 10 or a 100 new listings all at once from the Actions drop-down menu found at the far right of the screen, just select "Add" and follow the prompts. You can add items individually which is how I prefer to do it. Just choose a category and add items as desired. Most of the time I like to use the "one rate for all" option.

If you want to un-promote a listing or listings choose "edit" from the Actions menu, from the list of PL shown just click on the X followed by  Update.

Also found in the Actions menu is "Download report" which immediately does just that, it is a useful report which provides individual listing data.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Very helpful, thank you! Did not know that about listing on dot com. Cheers!
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for the tips!!

I've tried using Seller Hub in the past but when I click "Start Using Seller Hub" it'll say "Looks like something went wrong. Please try again later." - and that's still; the case when I try to use it today.. Going to look into this more and figure it out. I just wish there wasn't these sorts of glitches/inconveniences so often!
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

You've tried clearing your cache right? That may fix it.....
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

That's strange. If you are using Internet Explorer I would try it with a different browser such as Google Chrome.

If you're successful you will be asked to sign-in the first time you use it.

One more tip, if you do manage to get seller hub to work it is important to remember that there is a separate version for every ebay site.

If you are working with listings created on ebay.ca be sure to use the ebay.ca version of Seller Hub.
Message 25 of 25
latest reply