Any Real Recourse for a Badly Shipped Return?

byto253
Community Member

In another thread I saw a badly packaged return with a huge oversize box, and I imagine that there are some returns where an item is not protected like it was shipped out and incurs shipping damage.  

I was wondering if there is any real protection for a seller for goods that could be resold but get damaged because of the return.  My gut instict is that is going to be pretty tough, and you chalk it up to the cost of doing business.   Unfortunately, I could see the shysters using this as an excuse to reject returns and INRs if it was to easy to claim return shipping damage.  It is a tough one to balance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You get protection by instructing the buyer how to pack the return to avoid any damage.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

As a TRS....

An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We will work directly with the buyer to resolve any issues associated with the item being returned, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer. Learn more about refunding the buyer.

I don't see it in the above information but I was under the impression that you also need to have at least a 30 day return policy in order to qualify.

If you are not a TRS but you have free returns you also qualify.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=1&query=Sell...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

byto253
Community Member
What I wonder about is an item is returned under a not as described, say for undisclosed scratch on a collectible and it gets broken because of bad packing by the buyer. There was still good value after returning but now there is none. What can you do? Will eBay support a partial refund only?

Pure hypothetical I was just wondering

Message 4 of 4
latest reply