Anyway to avoid Fedex UPS Brokerage fees on returns?

Yes I'm aware Fedex and UPS are not supposed to charge brokerage fees on Canadian Goods being returned because they are exempt from customs and duties but they do anyways. 

The onus is on the buyers to state " Canadian Goods being returned" simply stating return on the customs form is not good enough according to both companies. After some lenghty phone calls I have had some success getting the brokerage fees returned but not the actual duties but its not practical to do everytime an american buyer chooses to use Fedex or UPS  not like they're aware of it anyways.

I'm wondering if return policies can be tweaked to accept returns via USPS?  I have no control over whether a buyer wants to send the return via UPS or Fedex this simply a predatory practice IMO. I simply I refused to pay the brokerage fees and they are currently piling up even gone to collections in some cases. Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You can get the Canadian import fees returned by contacting CBSA . Your invoice should give you their contact information. Or Google it.

I have no control over whether a buyer wants to send the return via UPS or Fedex

You are the seller?

Send the buyer a USPS shipping label which you can purchase through Shippo. You may need to open a Shippo account which in turn requires your Solutions for Small Business number, but you likely already have the SfSB account.

Then you send him a pdf of the label.

I've done this and I am a technodolt. It takes patience but is reasonably user-friendly.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

True there is a work around to buy USPS return labels via shippo.  Free returns may be viable for a postage stamp not so much for a 10 kg car part however.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Canadians have a different standard for Global Top Rated Seller status than Americans do for TRS.

For American sellers.

From July 2020, free returns must be based on your item's location in order for you to qualify for Top Rated Plus:

• If the item location is in the same country as the eBay site you listed on, you need to offer 30-day free domestic returns.
  • If the item location isn't in the same country as the eBay site you listed on, you need to offer 30-day free international returns.

In some product categories, eBay will extend the discount benefit (but not the seal) even if you don't offer 30-day free returns.

For non-US sellers there is no mention of free returns for Global TRS status. Only:

•  
  • Provide clear return and payment policies in your listing

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/seller-levels-performance-stand...

Canada Post will carry shipments up to 30kg  both domestically and internationally.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/general-information/size-and-weight...

Which is not saying it is cheap.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

You can get the Canadian import fees returned by contacting CBSA . Your invoice should give you their contact information. Or Google it.

I have no control over whether a buyer wants to send the return via UPS or Fedex

You are the seller?

Send the buyer a USPS shipping label which you can purchase through Shippo. You may need to open a Shippo account which in turn requires your Solutions for Small Business number, but you likely already have the SfSB account.

Then you send him a pdf of the label.

I've done this and I am a technodolt. It takes patience but is reasonably user-friendly.

@reallynicestamps 

@barnfindparts 

For anything purchased with GSP and the new fangled Ebay Intl program(which is how the majority of US purchases now arrive) you do not get a paper receipt. I've confirmed this with the folks directly connected with that program. Without an itemized receipt it makes it next to impossible to submit paperwork/proof for the original shipment. The only way you will see a receipt is if it arrives with CP and duties owing or a misc courier who in most cases bill in advance of delivery. Because there are no actual requirements from eBay there is it is very difficult to make sure the buyer does mark it correctly as Canadian goods returning. 

From personal work experience and sample returns from US customers I had to forward a copy of the original customs documents along with the return documents that they had to sign to make sure we didn't get billed for any taxes to streamline the process. The majority of consumers are not knowledgeable when it comes to customs forms. The situation gets even muddier when the buyer wants to use a different method for return than how it was originally shipped.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@barnfindparts wrote:

Yes I'm aware Fedex and UPS are not supposed to charge brokerage fees on Canadian Goods being returned because they are exempt from customs and duties but they do anyways. 

The onus is on the buyers to state " Canadian Goods being returned" simply stating return on the customs form is not good enough according to both companies. After some lenghty phone calls I have had some success getting the brokerage fees returned but not the actual duties but its not practical to do everytime an american buyer chooses to use Fedex or UPS  not like they're aware of it anyways.

I'm wondering if return policies can be tweaked to accept returns via USPS?  I have no control over whether a buyer wants to send the return via UPS or Fedex this simply a predatory practice IMO. I simply I refused to pay the brokerage fees and they are currently piling up even gone to collections in some cases. Thanks

The "Brokerage" fees apply regardless if tax/duty is collected. Any shipment, including Canadian Goods Returned require a customs entry if the value exceeds CA$40.

If FedEx did not properly declare as Goods Returned and collected tax (or duty) it must have been deficient paperwork. The taxes can be refunded but the brokerage fees will not be as a customs entry must still be processed.

FedEx or UPS are never a good way to have goods returned unless you are arranging your customs clearance via your own broker or self clearing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply