Billing Clarification - Pre-Managed Payments

Can anyone please clarify this for me?

For a Premium Store paid monthly on a 1 year contract fee should be 59.95 with Fixed price fee credit as .10 per listing. When I check Account Activity it shows 62.94 and .11 credit per listing. (.05 for videos, etc). When I check my invoice I see the same 62.94 for store fees. At the top of a recent invoice there is the following line for taxes (Alberta). 

GST/HST at a rate of 5%C $6.09. 

Is tax being applied to each line item and then again at the end? 

Same question for FVF's? As per Account Activity is tax included or separate.

Nowhere in each line is it clearly explained/expressed.

Any explanation would be appreciated. In the past speaking to the fine folks at eBay CS, it didn't make any sense to them either and was told they would "look into it".

Thanks.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The .11 you see is the .10 plus tax, it shows the (rounded!) after tax on the line by line.

It separates/totals it out (not rounded) at the month end reporting.

The way it shows in the various places does make it confusing.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

In my mind I always think with real world(maybe old school) accounting practices. If tax is "built in" it maybe should be stated as so.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

There was a lot of discussion around this wayyy back when a couple years ago that they started charging GST/HST on stuff. (I think there was a whole thread just on the "rounding" that happens and if everything got kept rounded or if it was correctly done with the totals. At that time it was determined that it was being done correctly in the totals, ie you can't add up the rounded 1c's and arrive at the final number at the end of the month because it is using non-rounded numbers correctly in the totals.)

I don't generally look at my stuff in detail.

I do know that when I've tried to figure it out in the past, eventually I can figure it out and it was correct, but I haven't done that for quite a while.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This was discussed years ago when sales tax was first applied to fees.

Each line displays with sales tax included (rounded).

The invoice total recalculates the total sales tax on the all the fees (before tax), so the sum of the parts may not equal the monthly total due to rounding.

In practice I rarely see differences of more than a penny, but then I'm in a 13% HST province so the rounding error on extra non-free listings is small compared to a 5% province.

Not the best accounting way of displaying things, but the majority of people are not accountants and prefer simple results.

-..-

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

FVF are messy enough. It's just the appearance of that tax being added to store fees twice for as long as I've had a store. 36.00 per year on a medium store would not be pennies in the scheme of things. Going forward I was just concerned how messy things would look in the new MP. Both in Hub and one's bank account.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

... concerned how messy things would look in the new MP. Both in Hub and one's bank account.

Store fees and listing fees will still be invoiced monthly under MP, so I expect no changes.

FVF (and tax) will be charged with each sale for MP and subtracted from the sales money before getting sent to your bank. Your bank account will just show a deposit amount that you will have to go to ebay to get the details.

-..-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Paypal: Clean

Payment details Paypal.JPG

Payment details Paypal.JPG

Ebay - Messy

eBay Charges detail.JPG

All about  itemizing charges/misc fees/%  properly and then being able to show the math.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Will there be an official email from eBay advising you that funds have been sent(each time and the amount) to your bank account???

Remember with PayPal?

We're transferring money from PayPal to your bank

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply