Buyer Requesting Delayed Shipping

Hello:

I have a buyer who is requesting that the item he purchased be shipped delayed for a week, suspect he may be on holidays. Don't think it will matter in any event as it will likely take 7-10 days by Canada Post to reach him, but what is EBay's position on this. Can I delay shipping at the request of the buyer, or will it backfire on me.

Cheers

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What is your handling time?

Are you sending the package with a Tracking Number or just regular Airmail?

If you send the package regular airmail or with a tracking number and purchase postage at the post office you should have no problem with eBay because you are staying off the grind (as long as you don't upload the shipping info on eBay).

Remind the buyer that because he requested a later shipping date that the package may not arrive within eBay's estimated shipping time.       

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think it's legit on the side of the buyer, apparently off on holidays, so as log as I don't upload the tracking number right away on Ebay I should be fine. I think it's mute anyways as by the time it arrives in the US it's going to be 7-10 days and they would be back. Being a US buyer he is probably used to a 2-3 day delivery.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Sorry, forgot to mention, my handling time was 2 business days, thus why I was concerned what Ebay's take would be if something went sideways. But I do have messaging from buyer requesting I hold off shipping for a bit.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Wait out your own full handling period.

Use the slowest tracked service available.

Remember that if the item arrives when he isn't home, the carrier will leave a Notice telling him where and when he can pick it up.

IIRC, Canada Post allows seven days for that pickup.

So if you shipped on the 17th, and the service allows 9-13 days for delivery, the carrier should be at his door on the 26th (or 30th) and he would still have until December 7th to pick up.

Fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@bpl521_sell wrote:

Hello:

I have a buyer who is requesting that the item he purchased be shipped delayed for a week, suspect he may be on holidays. Don't think it will matter in any event as it will likely take 7-10 days by Canada Post to reach him, but what is EBay's position on this. Can I delay shipping at the request of the buyer, or will it backfire on me.

Cheers

As long as the request from the buyer is documented in the form of an ebay message you can call in and have a late shipping defect removed. The only backfire is pushing your shipment further into the busier period of the year shipping-wise.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You can ship a week later as per the buyers request just purchase postage at the Post Office and not on PayPal etc...

Stay off the grid and don't upload any tracking info on eBay. Send the buyer a message when you do actually ship and remind him/her that because they requested a later shipping date that the package may not arrive within eBay's estimated shipping time.

This system has worked flawlessly for me in the past for any delayed shipments.   

The key is staying off the eBay grid and purchasing postage at the post office.

For any late shipping related problems you have the buyers message requesting that you post-pone shipping. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Would you include going to SnapShip directly (not through PP)as the same as going to the PO counter?

OP- You do have your Small Business Solutions card for the discount, right?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Hi femme,

I have never used on-line shipping. I fill out my Customs forms at home and go to the Post Office for all my shipping.

I don't know about SnapShip but I'm sure that would be fine as long as the shipping method does not connect you to eBay.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You should be ok buying the shipping label directly from CP via Snap Ship right away.  Then hold onto the package before dropping it into the red box. Manually mark the item as shipped on ebay within your handling time.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply