Buyer asking fro pre-paid return label 39 days after purchase

Hey!

I sold a camera to a buyer 39 days ago and this morning, out of the blue, he writes to me:

------------------

Hello,

I need you to provide me a prepaid shipping label, or pay me the amount it will cost to ship back to you.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXXX

--------------------

First, he doesn't mention any issues with the camera so unless he does I don't think I should pay for a return label.

Second, we're passed my 30 return window... Am I obligated to accept anyway?

I was thinking of replying something like "I'm sincerely sorry but we are now outside the return window."

Or am I likely to have to accept the return anyway and get a negative feedback?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"39 days after purchase"

Let us clarify that please.

What was the day of the purchase?

What was the day of the payment?

What was the actual shipping date?

What was the date of receipt by the buyer?

All these factors are important and relevant to determine the correct course of action.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

One more question if I may:  where was the camera shipped from?  (according to your listings, you seem to ship from different locations in different provinces)

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your return policy is useful as a control over customer decisions, but it is not enforceable.

EBay allows Disputes for 30 days from delivery of the product.

If the Dispute is for Not As Described, the seller pays for the return shipping.

If your buyer is in the USA, apparently we can send a USPS label through the new Shippo services.

Refusing returns does not stop eBay from forcing a refund.

If the 30 day window has closed for the customer, he still has Paypal Buyer Protection.

That runs for 180 days from Payment.

On the other hand, PP requires the buyer to pay for return shipping.

It is always better to have the product back before refunding.

Politely ask the buyer what the problem with the camera is. You may be able to correct the problem without either return or refund.

But you do want the camera back before you have to refund.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You’re return window is 30 days after the buyer has received the package, just like the mbg.  Regardless, even if it is a few days over the time limit, I would probably accept the return but you’ll have to find out why they want to return as you may not be responsible for return shipping.   If you do go that route, you should ask them to open a return request as it is easier to refund through the request.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply