Buyer bent iPhone then files INAD

Against our (my) better judgement, I sent a top line 128GB iPhone 6 Plus to a seller cross the border. Had 0% feedback but a few pretty old positive feedbacks. Thought the account might just be a bit old but I shipped quickly and more expensively which is fine.

Seller receives, then claims INAD and shows pics of the iPhone now bent. Of course this is false as we have many, many photos of the phone. It came with many cases and also a glass screen protector installed. Even if we didn't have detailed pictures on file, there is no way the bent phone would fit in the case nor have the glass screen protector intact (would fracture). Long story short, on the eBay side I'm pretty sure it's cut and dry refund.

Now after this, we will video record the return at the post office and if anything is amiss we will pursue with USPS and local law enforcement to file a case. Aside from that, the buyer has written:

"I'm covered by eBay Buyer Protection you fool."

After confronted with evidence of the contrary:

"I'm not reading any of this...Amateur-hour."

Buyer then posts negative feedback and eBay messages "Enjoy your negative feedback"

On a positive note, should the buyer return things in any condition less than our video recorded boxing and shipping videos, I can bring the full force of shrink budget on them.

TL: DR, trust your gut feel when selling because sometimes that's the only thing standing between you and a loss on eBay -- unfortunately.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer bent iPhone then files INAD

I have a feeling the buyer had a bent iPhone and then bought yours, then claim your iPhone arrived bent. Ask them to show you the phone's serial and IMEI number (which I hope you saved a copy before selling the phone) in a photo. I bet he can't provide one unless he bends his new phone in the exact same manner lol.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Did you ship with insurance?

If so, and if you sent an unbent phone but the buyer received a bent phone, you'd have grounds for an insurance claim.

Makes more sense than challenging your buyer.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I have both photo and video complete with date shown by browsing a news site on the phone, then showing the serial etc in one uncut scene. I'm OK on that front 🙂

The thing with insurance is how the heck does a fully packaged phone in original box, in bubble envelope, then more bubble then a box gets bent. Do I really have a postal insurance claim? There is no way in frozen heck the buyer would sign the affidavit to release since he received it already...
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Even though you have all of this record.... photos and videos...

Even though you packed it well..

Buyer will say otherwise  and claim you shipped an item other than that shown in the photos and video.

Some sellers will have done this.....on a regular basis.....  and that is why your situation will be questioned....  thoroughly.

Then one has to look at your record on eBay.....  and if that is flawless...then what can the buyer really claim?

Hopefully buyer has tried something and realizes  buyer  has hit a brick wall....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@hidcanada_com wrote:

The thing with insurance is how the heck does a fully packaged phone in original box, in bubble envelope, then more bubble then a box gets bent. Do I really have a postal insurance claim? There is no way in frozen heck the buyer would sign the affidavit to release since he received it already...

Of course you have a claim.

Insurance companies realize that many claims involve deceit at one end or the other.

In fact, if all claims were honest, insurance companies could be out of business and they understand how that works.

If you bought insurance then stop putting yourself in the position of judging the veracity of the buyer's claims.  Just follow procedure.  It's much less stressful.

Did you ship with insurance?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Absolutely did ship with postal insurance to the full value of the item.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@hidcanada_com wrote:
Absolutely did ship with postal insurance to the full value of the item.

To file a claim you have to refund your buyer.

In addition, technically you can't file a claim AND require a return.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

OK thanks for helping me keep my sanity. I'll go that route and the "require a return" thing. I've only claimed for not meeting service time but never damaged goods. I'm sure my company has so I'll ask for their input as well. Given the buyer is insisting on returning the item...

Sounds like a bees nest if I refund without return, then get rejected on a claim as it is $700 after all. Ah well.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@hidcanada_com wrote:
'll go that route and the "require a return" thing. I

Sounds like a bees nest if I refund without return, then get rejected on a claim as it is $700 after all. Ah well.

Again:  You cannot require a return AND file a claim.    The return negates your claim, and of course that makes sense because it sounds like you want your money and the item as well.

Why would you want a broken item returned?  

Also, you cannot file a claim without showing that you refunded the buyer.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@sylviebee, I fully agree. As I have never claimed postal insurance before, it sounds like a catch-22. So my gamble is...

Buyer gets refund, buyer keeps damaged item -- probably sellable for more $, but is out of pocket duty/taxes.

Seller files claim. Files for FVF. Is out of pocket initial shipping.

It feels like I'm playing double-or-nothing. If I get rejected with my spotless record, I have zero. If he returns, I have perhaps only 50% recoup of loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be wishy-washy about this however it is a decent sum.

Since this is CanadaPost -> USPS, any claim requires the cooperation of the buyer (who is a complete tool). As the seller I must file the claim, buyer must prove the claim is legitimate since it was damage. That latter part is what I am weary of -- I refund and he says "oh actually everything is fine now". There is no more protection   😞

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@hidcanada_com wrote:

but is out of pocket duty/taxes.

Seller files claim. Files for FVF. Is out of pocket initial shipping.

It feels like I'm playing double-or-nothing. If I get rejected with my spotless record, I have zero. If he returns, I have perhaps only 50% recoup of loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be wishy-washy about this however it is a decent sum.

Since this is CanadaPost -> USPS, any claim requires the cooperation of the buyer (who is a complete tool). As the seller I must file the claim, buyer must prove the claim is legitimate since it was damage. That latter part is what I am weary of -- I refund and he says "oh actually everything is fine now". There is no more protection   😞

Just curious:  Do you know for a fact that your buyer paid duty and taxes?  

When the PO refunds for a claim, they send the amount the item sold for plus shipping costs you paid.

Most claims never involve the buyer at all, but yours "might" because it's for $700.  If you require that the buyer return the item and they do contact the buyer, then he'll tell that the item was returned.

That leaves you open to all sorts of questions as it should.  

It sounds like you and your buyer really went at it so, you're right, that buyer won't want to co-operate for your benefit at this point.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The buyer started simply by saying something along the lines of "sorry it's bent, return" then did the INAD. I was quite civil as he sent one photo side profile of a phone bent, that was it. I asked very, very civilly for more photos or video to show the device (never used the word prove)... To which he responded saying I'm a fool and he's covered by eBay protection. Live and learn.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Granted I'm happy to hold the device in escrow or redirect to the appropriate party upon return -- I'm not the shady fellow he is. Furthermore it was sent under a company account so we have a tiny bit more clout with claims.

I do thank everyone for their support and responses over this harrowing case!
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Lately I have learned that if you press charges and forward documentation to ebay, they will investigate. I hear police takes stolen phones quite seriously. Show your proof of purchase and serial number, police will have disputed phone blocked. In the meantime, if your story checks out, buyer will have protection revoked and may end up with no money and bricked phone.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply