Can we no longer combine items after payment?

I used to be able to go to my Sold items and the menu would allow me to combine items (or even to uncombine them). I recently had a buyer pay for two items about a minute apart and wanted to ship them in one pkg.  This seems to have disappeared now on the new sold page. I do know that I can just ship and refund manually for any overpayment but combining and adjusting the shipping amount was much easier.

Does anyone know how to get back to the old Sold page or if there is any way to combine now?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I don't remember that every being an option vintagenorth, maybe I missed it. I do know that many times now I can't even combine the shipping BEFORE payment, sometimes it works, other times my buyer gets a message saying that this seller does not combine shipping.

When someone purchases multiple items and pays individually, I refund part of the shipping cost, and explain to the buyer that I have already had to pay fees on the shipping payment, so I can only do a partial refund. That has never been a problem.

I hope you are recovering from you hand surgery.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I cannot recall ever being able to combine paid items either. I think we used to be able to combine unpaid items to a paid invoice but I don't think that is possibble anymore, not sure as that situation does not seem to come up these days.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If a buyer puts two items in her cart, the shipping can be combined and discounted.

If the buyer buys one item from dotCA and one from dotCOM the shipping cannot be combined or discounted.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I don't remember that every being an option vintagenorth, maybe I missed it. I do know that many times now I can't even combine the shipping BEFORE payment, sometimes it works, other times my buyer gets a message saying that this seller does not combine shipping.

When someone purchases multiple items and pays individually, I refund part of the shipping cost, and explain to the buyer that I have already had to pay fees on the shipping payment, so I can only do a partial refund. That has never been a problem.

I hope you are recovering from you hand surgery.

Now I’m thinking it only worked for unpaid items. I guess it’s back to sending a message and refunding the difference through PayPal.

Thanks for the kind words Triber. I am slowly recovering from my shoulder surgery. It’s taking a while, I’m not a spring chicken any more. Takes about 4 hrs each day to do my physio exercises and that leaves less time for eBay. I should be better in 3 to 4 months.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I am glad you are recovering vintagenorth. I understand, a couple of years ago I fell and separated the main tendon and muscle in my already arthritic right shoulder. It will never improve, so I have learned to use my left arm for most things, I can't reach up or out, but I can type and knit without problems, so I am very happy for that.

I am sure you buyer will understand if you can't give a full refund.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I am glad you are recovering vintagenorth. I understand, a couple of years ago I fell and separated the main tendon and muscle in my already arthritic right shoulder. It will never improve, so I have learned to use my left arm for most things, I can't reach up or out, but I can type and knit without problems, so I am very happy for that.

I am sure you buyer will understand if you can't give a full refund.

I gave up on this one and just shipped in separate envelopes. Difference in postage was just over a dollar anyway.

I understand not being able to reach up or out, that’s exactly how I am just now. I’m using my left arm for most things and have finally managed the typing again. Not allowed to type for more than a few mins at a time though. Haven’t tried knitting again yet.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

not so true, i had a usa buyer on saturday night, put over 40 items in their cart, then paid for them, over 200$ in shipping fees, nothing was combined or discounted,  now i am trying to figure out how to make them whole... considering, ebay and paypal fees to the usa took almost 24$ of those shipping fees.. what a mess..

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

not so true, i had a usa buyer on saturday night, put over 40 items in their cart, then paid for them, over 200$ in shipping fees, nothing was combined or discounted,  ...

The buyer when using the cart has to ask the Seller for an invoice with combined shipping before paying.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

not so true, i had a usa buyer on saturday night, put over 40 items in their cart, then paid for them, over 200$ in shipping fees, nothing was combined or discounted,  now i am trying to figure out how to make them whole... considering, ebay and paypal fees to the usa took almost 24$ of those shipping fees.. what a mess..

If at all possible flat rate combined shipping rules are the best way to avoid these troubles but even those are far from foolproof. Too often buyers buy without adding items to the cart, in that case even having discount rules setup doesn't help.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hi -I have a case where I was nice to a buyer in Russia and managed to repackage his item and create a shipping box myself from cardboard... bottom line got the weight under 500 grams so am able to refund him about $20 cdn - he had originally paid about $52 shipping on a $16 item. I love it when the PO gets way more than me....

--- So this case is in the realm of refund amounts as you are talking about here - not just $1- 3.00

--If I go thru PayPal only then I don't get FVF back from Ebay ; a few like this and the pennies add up. - I saw in one answer someone saying after a PayPal partial refund, Call eBay to tell them ?? Who would you call ? Does this mean sitting in an hour long wait?

I do adjust for Fees being charged at the original  rate charged, so deduct this from the refund -AAh.. I just answered  my own question didn't I??? By  deducting these fees from the refund given, then I am re-cooping those charges myself? or covering them myself? ,,, so doesn't matter. - Thank you for the sounding board -LOL - definately any suggestions or things I haven't thought about, please chime in!

(I know also lots of times that shipping rates can be higher than the item sale, I just grumble wondering why, If he was willing to pay a total of $68.00 for this item, why couldn't someone else have bought it at the full ask from a closer location and paid me more and shipping less??)

Cheers Melanie

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

--If I go thru PayPal only then I don't get FVF back from Ebay ; a few like this and the pennies add up.

Nothing says you have to refund postage to the penny. Just deduct your costs, like fees, from the amount you plan to refund.

And don't forget to put some of your savings into the Cookie Jar for problems with this or other shipments.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply