Can you help me get up to speed on shipping options and discounts right now.

I haven't been selling on here for a while now and want to start selling again, but I don't remember the stuff and all my old postings were gone so I can't use them for reference.

I remember ebay used to have some kind of deals with CanadaPost so sellers get some kind of discount for choosing to ship a parcel using certain methods. Are those still available? What are they called again? Is it only for local or is it for international as well?

Basically looking for the most economic air shipping with tracking number right now. Anything else I should look for in shipping?

How has the ebay selling game changed in 10 years in general? Anything I should know and get up to speed?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Are you signed up for Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business membership (formerly called VentureOne)? These days that will give small sellers the same discount as available through eBay.

And the occasional bonus (there was a free shipping promo last October).

Canada Post has prepaid flat rate boxes available -- $100 insurance, tracked, up to 5kg anywhere in Canada for the same cost. $18.49 for small, $22.49 for medium, $29.99 for large. Useful for heavier items that fit going to remote locations.

Lots of changes in the last 10 years.

* ebay.CA listings are Cdn$ only.

* PayPal is being replaced by Managed Payments for sellers

* 200 free listings per month for non-store sellers.

* 1 and 3 day listings are discouraged with a listing fee penalty

* Fixed price listings automatically renew once a month

* and much much more...

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Are you signed up for Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business membership (formerly called VentureOne)? These days that will give small sellers the same discount as available through eBay.

If I am just only Paypal's builtin options to make the CanadaPost shipping labels and not using CanadaPost account, which CanadaPost shipping options give me the discounts?

Or is the discount only available through the free account on Canada Post now?

I want to know which shipping options to offer on my listings so I don't wait until the item is sold to find out.

--

WAIT, so I just read that the ebay's shipping discount deal with Canada Post is over? Should I just use Canada Post's free account to create shipping labels from now on? Which shipping options can I get discounts for local and international air tracked parcels?

Just found this on Paypal

https://www.paypal.com/ca/business/shipping/canada-post

Looks like it's not from Paypal but from CanadaPost directly like you said though. I am trying to avoid creating more accounts ugh

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You need the Solutions for Small Business number to get PP discounts.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

It's free.

You can also use Shippo (eBay's default) or SnapShip (Canada Post) but again, you need the SfSB number. They all have the same discounts.

Here is the Canada Post rate card.

https://www.canadapost.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

Fool around with weights, dimensions, postal codes.

For the USA use 90210- only because it is easy to remember.

For Canada look up some far flung city halls and use those postal codes.

You have to give a shipping fee (which is based on the service you choose) or the buyer can't pay you.

Personally I use LetterPost for low value items that are under 500gr and 2cm. 

And while I price Domestic Regular Parcel, I actually ship Domestic Expedited which is again only available with SfSB card but it faster for the same price.

For the USA low value parcels are fine with Small Packet Air but anything valuable it's worth choosing Tracked Packet USA.

With LetterPost use Flat Rate Shipping.

With parcels ALWAYS  use Calculated.

Since you have been a seller I assume you have a digital METRIC scale and a tape measure?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

That's great, I think I got the tips I need to get into it again, but for some reason CanadaPost wouldn't let me get past the

"Tell us more about your business and shipping volumes to help us calculate your savings."

page after I tried to register, it keeps giving me the error message "Sorry, we're unable to process your request. Please try again later."

Ugh. Back to working on my drafts for now I guess.

Currently my biggest problem is finding the right box to put my stuff in. It's like I should already have the items all boxed up and ready to ship before I could even start posting it because I can't get an accurate weight measurement unless I have the box ready.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The PO clerk can also give you one I believe. It's been a long time since I got mine.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Need to ask one more question about Canada Post Small Business.

The name you put down for your small business, does it matter to government agencies? Is it a legally binding name? Is this tied to taxes? Or can you put down joke names like "sending my old junks to my bro" and no one will care? What if you wrote down existing company name like "Burger King" for giggles?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pansophic.innovator wrote:

That's great, I think I got the tips I need to get into it again, but for some reason CanadaPost wouldn't let me get past the

"Tell us more about your business and shipping volumes to help us calculate your savings."

page after I tried to register, it keeps giving me the error message "Sorry, we're unable to process your request. Please try again later."

Ugh. Back to working on my drafts for now I guess.

Currently my biggest problem is finding the right box to put my stuff in. It's like I should already have the items all boxed up and ready to ship before I could even start posting it because I can't get an accurate weight measurement unless I have the box ready.

If you are selling a variety of items and would like to keep costs down, ask your local dollar store if you can have some of the boxes that are going to end up in the recycling bin. It's also a good place to get cheap supplies like bubble envelops, tape and misc. labels. In cases where you may have a box that is slightly too large, you can always package, cut at the corners and score in the inside to make a folds. Just remember to leave enough room for a bit of extra packing, just incase someone happens to open with a really sharp knife and cuts their purchase. The closer you can get to a good box size the cheaper your postage will be on the premium services. Dimensional weight is not your friend when it comes to final shipping charges.

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You can buy boxes by the dozen -or the hundred- from ULine or even at Staples, etc.

There is an advantage to having all your boxes the same size and only having to work on the weight.

But boxes cost money.

Also look into poly envelopes which are waterproof and hard to damage or even open.

I display the full cost of shipping when I can, and Calculated Shipping also shows the full cost of shipping. That's what the customer sees.

But my costs are sometimes lower (5% on Tracked PacketUSA for example) and that goes into the Cookie Jar  for insurance and packaging.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@pansophic.innovator wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Need to ask one more question about Canada Post Small Business.

The name you put down for your small business, does it matter to government agencies? Is it a legally binding name? Is this tied to taxes? Or can you put down joke names like "sending my old junks to my bro" and no one will care? What if you wrote down existing company name like "Burger King" for giggles?

You don't need to make up a business name, you can just use your own name.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply